Of boards and displays

I think what he's saying is Verizon has already certified that this chip is OK to activate on their network. If an employee refuses, then you keep escalating until you get someone who knows what they're talking about.

I think what he's saying is Verizon has already certified that this chip is OK to activate on their network. If an employee refuses, then you keep escalating until you get someone who knows what they're talking about.
Yes, indeed.

At least I would assume that Verizon wants to earn money from people using their voice and data plans. So why should they refuse a certified device? And yes, sometimes the first person asked might not know how to do it, but the second, third will.

Additionally, I simply assume that Cinterion would not have offered a CDMA variant and done all these (really costly!) pre-certifications if the devices built around can not be used. I simply take for granted that they all want to earn money from us (being buyers of modules or voice/data plans)...

Well, sometimes that assumption does not work (e.g. TI is not very keen to sell us the OMAP5 and Samsung, Qualcomm even less for Exynos and Snapdragons).

However, the part that you have correct is that CDMA devices require carrier cooperation in order to get them onto their networks - and that is unlikely to be forthcoming
Someone on Verizon right now may want to give them a call and explain that they're planning to buy a phone internationally that is compatible with their network and will they activate it if they do.
I suspect they'll say no.

Even their "Bring Your Own Device" plans states "eligible Verizon Wireless phone" meaning a phone you've already purchased from them for use on their network, which, honestly, is complete BS and shouldn't be a selling feature but whatever.

Maybe someone can check if the Gemalto PVS8 or PXS8 is ok. They are pin compatible and it might only be a matter of planning and ordering the correct variants. Maybe a little more work for getting type approval.

http://m2m.gemalto.com/products/industrial-plus/lga/pvs8.html

http://m2m.gemalto.com/products/industrial-plus/lga/pxs8.html

I'm not sure how to check this.  Even if the device is compliant/compatible with CDMA, it still leaves open the question of if any of the CDMA carriers would be willing to let it onto their network.  CDMA works via on-device programming instead of a SIM card.  Without the 'secret codes' that the carrier uses to set up the phone...

maybe:

1. follow links

2. download Data Sheet:
Oh, I did look through those.  They include a lot of information on how to physically set up the chip - good stuff.

APPROVALS
> FCC, UL, IC, CCF> Verizon Wireless approval (CDG1/CDG2), Sprint

Additional local approvals and network operator certifications 

But I don't know if these carriers and standards are what you expect. And I don't know the certification procedures for devices using such pre-certified modules.

Anyways, Cinterion is open to help with such approvals (they want us and others to use their CDMA modules as well): http://m2m.gemalto.com/support-and-downloads/support/overview/support-packages.html

It would not make sense if they produce and certify modules where the devices built around can't be connected to a network...

This page also sheds some light on it: http://www.globalcertificationforum.org/certification.html
The issue of CDMA is more one of carrier acceptance than technical capability.  Let's consider how a CDMA phone is sold.

- The device manufacturer creates a CDMA hardware version.

- The device manufacturer creates the software for CDMA device configuration.

- Carrier certifies the phone and creates configuration, reference and training materials for their representatives and buys thousands of phones and adds them to stock.

- Consumer picks out the phone.

- Carrier representative hides the phone from the user, looks up the carrier's configuration guide, inputs a series of secret configuration codes, gives phone to consumer.

These two parts are the issue:

- CDMA requires that the phone have CDMA configuration software present.

- CDMA requires that a carrier representative looks up the device in their configuration manuals and inputs their 'secret codes' into the device.

Even if a hypothetical CDMA compliant Pyra were produced, I do not see a good way to actually activate it on a CDMA network.

GSM and CDMA phones both ship without identities.

The GSM SIM card has a series of codes in it that gives the phone an identity, tells it what networks to connect to, etc.

The CDMA phone has to have the equivalent entered into it by the carrier's representative.

Without a partnership with a CDMA carrier, I don't see how a CDMA version would be possible.

So why should they refuse a certified device?
They make more money selling devices and locking you into contracts than they would if you bring your own device."Oh, you want to bring an off-brand phone? Sorry, no can do. But we'll sell you a brand new phone, just sign a 3 year contract. Want to go to some other company? THERE IS NO OTHER COMPANY! MAUAHAHA!"

But there is. The GSM ones. That's why I don't understand how that business model works.

New infos: there is a (confidential) document "AN67: Multi Carrier for Cinterion PXS8 and PVS8 Modules" which describes activation and switching between Verizon, Sprint and UMTS modes.

They mention "The factory settings do not contain activated configuration - the user has to perform full activation procedure using OTASP (Verizon) or OMADM (Sprint)".

I did not try to understand the details, but most of the activation is done over the air. The only thing that may be needed is some activation code like "ATD*22899". Which means that those programmers writing some activation app (activation needs to send a sequence of AT commands to the module) must have access to the networks for debugging.

My conclusion: it is possible to make the Pyra CDMA compatible.

But let's postpone this topic until the Pyra is in mass production (there are enough other details to be solved). Then it should not be difficult to produce 2 or 3 units with a PXS8 and give it to developers in the US to try to make the network stuff work.

The gsm carriers often don't have as good, sometimes not nearly as good coverage as CDMA carries in the U.S. Verizon seems to have the best overall coverage, so if you want a phone that works. . . (Gross generality, different carriers may work better in other locations.)

Sorry if this question has been asked and answered: Is the improved-response display using capacitive TFT or a resistive one?

Sorry if this question has been asked and answered: Is the improved-response display using capacitive TFT or a resistive one?
Resistive, but before you flip out like most do when they hear this, it will have some multi-touch capabilities. And you must understand that resistive is superior when you are dealing with a regular Desktop GUI. Capacitive screens are less accurate and generally phone/tablet OSs like Android and iOS are designed around finger usage, as the Pyra is using a standard desktop OS and accuracy is more important.

Last edited by a moderator:
Since high resolution is required, a capacitive touch layer was never an option. The resistive one chosen has some support that in theory enables pinch zoom or two finger gestures, though I don't think the neccessary software support exists yet.

edit ninja'd

Last edited by a moderator:
Back