Office 2007 & Visio Through Wine: Does It Work Well?

bustaballs

Office 2007 & Visio through Wine: Does it work well? I'm going to an online school that requires this software and my Windows 7 is not liking my Belkin USB wifi adapter any more. All of my classes seem to run okay in Firefox through Linux, so I wonder if I can get the software running okay through it too.

Are you learning Office, or do they just require there documents in that format? If the later, just use Open Office and save to Office2003 format.

Squidge said:
If the later, just use Open Office and save to Office2003 format.
...and prepare to have totally fucked up formatting if the file gets opened by actual MS office.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fishbong said:
Squidge said:
If the later, just use Open Office and save to Office2003 format.
...and prepare to have totally fucked up formatting if the file gets opened by actual MS office.
Only if you use exotic formatting. I used to export to PDF when I was in education to make sure everyone could open it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've used OpenOffice for just about everything without any issues. The only time I've had to use MS Office was for some very complicated spreadsheets with macros and 3D graphs. I used Virtualbox for that. Visio and Word as well as the rest of Office 2007 apparently work pretty well in Wine, but with a few fairly minor bugs.

To actually answer the question (I'm not an OSS purist... sue me):
  • Word 2007: almost flawlessly
  • Powerpoint 2007: needs a special DLL, see Wine AppDB
  • The rest: Work most of the time, occasional crashes; don't really use Office except for when I need it
  • Microsoft Visio: Why? There are equally good tools available in the OSS world...
  • Visual Studio 2008: If you do .NET programming, definitely no. .NET is a bitch since it basically depends on every Windows DLL out there so it'll eat you RAMs if you even manage to get it running. Use Mono and MonoDevelop instead; you can open VS projects with MonoDevelop so it's not a problem. For VS C++ development? Sure, should work, but haven't tried it; using QtCreator instead...

Back