Official Blog- Keep It Going

Although not unexpected, it still makes me a little sad since I'm probably #3999... LOL :D

But hey it's coming and there's still so much to do, so nothing to worry about.

My one question is what happened to the 1000 boards that were supposedly already populated and tested? Shouldn't that read
March 22th - March 26th: 1500 populated and tested boards and all parts will be shipped to UK.
?
My only other concern is that production of the cases supposedly began on the 1st. 12 days to produce 4000 is slow but not entirely impossible to consider. 1000 in 12 days is ridiculous. So either they didn't actually start on the 1st when you said they said they did (and if they didn't start when they said they did, how can we be sure they'll finish when they say they will?), or it takes over 2 weeks to produce 1000 cases at a rate of about 80 per day.

WizardStan said:
My one question is what happened to the 1000 boards that were supposedly already populated and tested?

That's been worrying me a little, too.

Case problems? Pfft - no surprise there, personally! Actually, I rather hope I'm still not in the first 1000.

Last edited by a moderator:
PokeParadox said:
Phawx said:
Why will US go down with a big bang?

Capitalisation for emphasis not for acronym...
EDIT: wrong word... sorry tired.

Ah, thank you. :D

"We will build them ourselves" ?
Please don't get me wrong and don't feel insulted, but is the OpenPandora-Team actually capable of doing that?
Do you guys have the technical knowledge and abilities of assembling thousands of Pandoras with the same quality as a factory?

I'm not really upset with the team, I have nothing but the deepest respect for all involved as this is a dream project, that took "HUGE BALLS" to get done. I am more upset with my self for letting the hype build up my expectations after I said I wouldn't. So I only really have myself to blame.

My first order is actually in the 250-350 range, so I'm excited to be hopefully within the first 1000(whenever they actually ship), but I was really hoping that "EVERYONE" would be able to enjoy there Pandora in a fairly quick manner. Maybe I was kidding myself, but it appeared like that may have actually been possible, now reality hits, and it's not cool, but what can you do. 500 boards a week is really about what I expected(not a big deal really), but the 3000 cases after the first 1000 is the punch to the gut.

I guess it is good to check and test 1000 cases before you get a full run of 10,000, but man those guys are uber slow! Now I'm just really hoping those 1000 pass inspection, although I'm sure many will take one even if they aren't 100%. Well enough of my rambling, back to my Ebaying. Team Pandora please keep chugging along, we will all get there sooner or later. Thanks Again!

Chris

MisterBrisby said:
Do you guys have the technical knowledge and abilities of assembling thousands of Pandoras with the same quality as a factory?
If you want quality, do it yourself rather than trust an "expert", that's a general rule. Assembling is usually done by people without further qualification. Putting electrical engineers on the assembly line would be a bit expensive ;) Assembling a Pandora is far from high tech.

WizardStan said:
My one question is what happened to the 1000 boards that were supposedly already populated and tested? Shouldn't that read
March 22th - March 26th: 1500 populated and tested boards and all parts will be shipped to UK.
?

In the German forum, ED stated that those 1000 boards were populated, but for some reason he doesn't know have not yet been tested. So, they will now begin to test those and will need till the 22th-26th to finish testing the first 500 ones :-(

I just want to know who will be building them. I know ED and MWeston and fatih will be heading to the UK, but for how long? They won't be there for the entire 4k assembly run.

I worry that craigix's clan of family and friends will be soldering on nubs and not care if they are off-center. I mean, in any case, having amateurs solder the boards will significantly raise the rate of mistakes during assembly.

That is my only worry right now. I wonder if MWeston can post the 10 page assembly document for us to check out.

MisterBrisby said:
Please don't get me wrong and don't feel insulted, but is the OpenPandora-Team actually capable of doing that?
Actually, populating the PCB's are the only hard thing, and that is being done by a factory. Assembling the actual unit is very easy. I believe there are some youtube vids showing how basic it is(early proto assembly). I change out DS/PSP cases for differant after market colored cases, and after you do a few, it can almost be done blindfolded. The PSP is only a pain due to the umd drive, but the ds lite is fairly basic(havn't tried DSi yet), and having seen the parts in the Pandora, it looks the easiest of the bunch. Very simple and ergonomic. I'm sure that was a design choice as to save time and money on assembly!

Chris

Might be strange to ask but would it be possible to use the Cortex-A9 Dual Core instead of the A8? There's nothing wrong with the A8 my droid uses one and its fine with it just wondered if anybody else gave the same question thought?

Appreciate the honest/informative post ED -- but can I ask why the boards haven't been done since six months ago when you guys thought the cases were going to be done in 30 days? I mean - when you guys were thinking you were going to be shipping all the Pandora's out by Christmas even -- why wasn't the factory finishing and testing out 4000 boards? It isn't like they weren't going to be needed or aren't going to be used is it? I understand that you guys are frustrated by the delays just like we are --- but I still can't fathom why things like these weren't finished while we've been waiting month after month for the cases. I understand the companies are partially at fault for not delivering as quickly as you'd like - but doesn't it fall on your shoulders for putting things like this off as long as you have?

Also - I don't understand this:
"March 22th - March 26th: 500 populated and tested boards and all parts will be shipped to UK. "

Why aren't they already being packaged up and shipped? Why wait until the 22nd to ship them and just add room for additional delays/problems if there are already 1000 completed boards just sitting and waiting?

Squall the Titan said:
Might be strange to ask but would it be possible to use the Cortex-A9 Dual Core instead of the A8? There's nothing wrong with the A8 my droid uses one and its fine with it just wondered if anybody else gave the same question thought?
Not yet available, not pin compatible, maybe in Pandora 2.

MooTheKow said:
why wasn't the factory finishing and testing out 4000 boards?
MWeston said:
All 4000 boards have not been populated yet. It actually becomes an issue with storage to have so many boards sitting built all at once. They have to be kept somewhere which tends to be awkward because boards must sit in ESD safe trays on grounded carts (remember that picture of the 80/105?). Issues with humidity control are important because parts are no longer sitting in sealed bags, although they are already soldered so it is more of a general storage thing. Craig meant that absolutely everything is ready to go, absolutely every part is sitting at the facility, things are being tested carefully and slowly still, the build process is understood...umm I don't know what else to add so I don't read the next 10 pages about how the sky is falling. :) There is merit in being vague, but I'll take the chance anyway.
ED on German board said:
Weil sie es vorher nicht verschicken. Der Termin kommt von denen, wir haben ihnen gesagt, so schnell wie möglich.
They don't send the boards earlier. They gave us that date, we asked them to be as fast as possible.

mali said:
Squall the Titan said:
Not yet available, not pin compatible, maybe in Pandora 2.

figured it was worth askin. thx for quick reply.

MisterBrisby said:

I think you grossly overestimate the average assembly line worker. I've been to a few factories, and it is generally an entry-level job.

Back