It Has Begun.

They're making 105 in case there's a horrible design flaw that they've missed.
You never know.

The remaining 3695 should go pretty quickly once they make sure there aren't any obvious flaws.

I think the Iphone 3gs is wasted potential. You can't use that power for much on the iphone and even if you do get good games working such as Quake 3 after jailbreaking, the controls would suck. Its like the Toshiba TG01 that has a 1ghz chip but is only intended to use this power to make it faster and for 3d effects. I might be wrong with this one but I noticed how some macs a ridiculessly powerful and expsensive but you couldn't really test out its power because barely any games are made for the Mac. What I'm basicly saying is that the Pandora doesn't waste its potential because you can do so much with it. If there was another open source console that came out right now and was better than the Pandora then I might cancel my order but unlike computers there is like a 5 year gap between the production of the gaming consoles.
You can say the same for the PS3, XBox 360 or other consoles. The iPhone is a console just the same.

Personally I would sooner have a phone with commercial and free software that has to be approved, I would sooner that applications have a limited number of APIs.
I want my phone to work, I don't want some hack I install to cause the phone to fail or the battery to discharge. I could miss a call which is very important.

With open projects comes chaos sometimes. I don't mind this on a geek toy like the Pandora, but for things I depend on I prefer to be reliable. Not saying Pandora won't be reliable, just that I could install an application that causes big problems.

Last edited by a moderator:
If its going to take 5 weeks to make 105 boards then how long will it take to make 3895 more. What was ever wrong with the boards anyway for taking this long to get started. I hope their just over exaggerating cause I don't even what to think of what the release date will be if their not. How come there only making 105? I thought it was going to be 400 or 500.
If they manufacture 1000 and find a problem then 1000 boards will need patch wires carefully soldering. That would take ages..

If its going to take 5 weeks to make 105 boards then how long will it take to make 3895 more. What was ever wrong with the boards anyway for taking this long to get started. I hope their just over exaggerating cause I don't even what to think of what the release date will be if their not. How come there only making 105? I thought it was going to be 400 or 500.
If they manufacture 1000 and find a problem then 1000 boards will need patch wires carefully soldering. That would take ages..
They've already established that there's no problem with the boards themselves, or so I've gathered from all the communication we've seen. What they're worried about is errors in manufacturing: boards cooked too hot, or too cold, solder falling off, that sort of thing. Better to risk 100 to an unknown process than to risk 400.

I think the Iphone 3gs is wasted potential. You can't use that power for much on the iphone and even if you do get good games working such as Quake 3 after jailbreaking, the controls would suck. Its like the Toshiba TG01 that has a 1ghz chip but is only intended to use this power to make it faster and for 3d effects. I might be wrong with this one but I noticed how some macs a ridiculessly powerful and expsensive but you couldn't really test out its power because barely any games are made for the Mac. What I'm basicly saying is that the Pandora doesn't waste its potential because you can do so much with it. If there was another open source console that came out right now and was better than the Pandora then I might cancel my order but unlike computers there is like a 5 year gap between the production of the gaming consoles.
You can say the same for the PS3, XBox 360 or other consoles. The iPhone is a console just the same.

Personally I would sooner have a phone with commercial and free software that has to be approved, I would sooner that applications have a limited number of APIs.
I want my phone to work, I don't want some hack I install to cause the phone to fail or the battery to discharge. I could miss a call which is very important.

With open projects comes chaos sometimes. I don't mind this on a geek toy like the Pandora, but for things I depend on I prefer to be reliable. Not saying Pandora won't be reliable, just that I could install an application that causes big problems.
Of course, it's not like the major hardware manufacturers never make a mistake witht their hardware or their software is it? XBox360 RROD. Apple, Nintendo, Sony, GPH bricking machines due to software "updates"

There are NO guarantees that even official, big money, non-open hardware is immune to bugs and problems.

It's the same with everything else - brand new cars break down etc. etc.

It's impossible to remove every possible chance of a mishap, but to not even try would be worse.

Of course, it's not like the major hardware manufacturers never make a mistake witht their hardware or their software is it? XBox360 RROD. Apple, Nintendo, Sony, GPH bricking machines due to software "updates"
That can be due to unknown variations in the hardware. The supplier revises a chip without telling the recipient about the change.

The Xbox 360 RROD is a completely different situation, this is widely attributed to Microsoft rushing out the hardware to get a foot in the door. They knew it might fail but calculated the cost of replacements vs the cost if the whole project failed.

Open and closed both have their advantages. With an open project you get people pushing it to its limits and warranty claims can be fun as you never know what the person has done to it. With a console you just need to check the warranty seal is in place, if not then you don't replace it.

Open and closed both have their advantages. With an open project you get people pushing it to its limits and warranty claims can be fun as you never know what the person has done to it. With a console you just need to check the warranty seal is in place, if not then you don't replace it

Yes, but it doesn't mean that closed source machines are actually more reliable. Which was my point.

As for actual modding of hardware, that's a completely different kettle of fish and I expect to see reports something akin to "My Pandora broke when I tried adding a water cooling system. Can I have a refund/replacement please?" :p

Interesting times ahead :)

Better fucking hurry up with that case work too. I'm sick of waiting, and had to get a laptop for college, hell I don't even really want the thing anymore but I feel like so much of my time has been put into this I can't just walk away from it.
What works? you posting stupid swear post?

105 boards :(

I am going back to my Cave - ....

My number is 3004 or so.

I prepaid in March when the reorders opened.

I hope with any cancellations we are being moved up.

I'll be lucky if I see it this year :) I may have to put it next to my typewriter.

I'd really like to know how you guys are finding out your order-#/place in line?
Someone supposedly worked out a way to determine your place in the queue based on the order number (ages ago"]. I don't know how accurate it was.
Every time someone suggested that idea, Craig and Co. shot it down saying that it was not possible to determine your place in line by your order number.[/quote]-God Ginrai

How about just sending them an email with your order number?

Sometimes things can be much simpler.
You may not like the response though :(

Every time someone suggested that idea, Craig and Co. shot it down saying that it was not possible to determine your place in line by your order number.

-God Ginrai
It's a really bad idea given the slow pace and possibility of more delays to come. If a Pandorian(made up name for an owner of a Pandora) knew he was #3000 in line and heard of another month or two delay, there could be a strong temptation for him to drop out. On the other hand, if Pandora doesn't win favourable reviews on its first small batch release and he knew he was still a month away from receiving his he could cancel out in time. Either way it won't be good for sales.

Back