It Has Begun.

On a side note... The IPhone 3Gs got here before the pandora... With our same chip... You can't even imagine HOW MUCH I am pissed about this... :wacko:
You're absolutely right, I can't imagine how much you are pissed about it, because I can't imagine why you would be pissed at all. What's the big deal?

Last edited by a moderator:
The thing about the new iPhone, is that it is having compatibility issues with some apps. Looks like it was rushed to market a mite fast.

The thing about the new iPhone, is that it is having compatibility issues with some apps. Looks like it was rushed to market a mite fast.
Wrong. It's the new OS3.0 that causes some apps to fail, it has nothing to do with the hardware.

I've been running the 3.0 beta version for ages and most things worked. Some applications will fail due to bad practice, iPhone development is done in Objective C which means a lot of developers will make mistakes due to unfamiliarity with the language.

Apple provide the best support in the mobile industry. Even the original iPhone gets supported with version 3.0 and that is now a two year old device. You don't get that level of support with HTC, Nokia or anyone else.

You're absolutely right, I can't imagine how much you are pissed about it, because I can't imagine why you would be pissed at all. What's the big deal?
Dunno, I just feel like we got stolen of our "most powerful device out there" prize because of some stupid stuff like bank trying stealing money, UPS asking 4k$ without reasons, and so on that slowed the project so badly. Just as an example, if a working PSP wrapper/emu for the IPhone was to be made before a Pandora one, this would just be sad :D

However you guys are damn right: I should not be pissed off, since the new IPhone is:
-still completely different from the Pandora
-still expensive as hell.

Wrong. It's the new OS3.0 that causes some apps to fail, it has nothing to do with the hardware.

I've been running the 3.0 beta version for ages and most things worked. Some applications will fail due to bad practice, iPhone development is done in Objective C which means a lot of developers will make mistakes due to unfamiliarity with the language.

Apple provide the best support in the mobile industry. Even the original iPhone gets supported with version 3.0 and that is now a two year old device. You don't get that level of support with HTC, Nokia or anyone else.
The reason why it's still supported is that they haven't made many changes to it since the first one. The 3G just added 3G capabilities - other than that, it's identical to the original (IIRC). The 3GS is new and different, but if they didn't leave in backwards compatibility, they wold have millions of users breathing down their necks for an update. It would be stupid for them not to support it.

. The 3GS is new and different, but if they didn't leave in backwards compatibility, they wold have millions of users breathing down their necks for an update. It would be stupid for them not to support it.
Precisely why I said Apple have the best support. They do make updates available.

When Nokia bring out a handset you're lucky if you get a few bug fix firmware updates. When Microsoft releases a new version of Windows Mobile it doesn't become available for 2 year old devices. HTC and others just want you to buy a new handset and so the updated OS is only made available for the new device.

Many devices are barely any improvement over their previous incarnations and could run the latest greatest mobile OS but the companies choose to abandon these devices as they won't get any money for making it available for their older handsets.

You can't deny the iPhone hasn't changed the industry. Everyone has stolen its ideas.

The only serious competition to the iPhone is the Palm Pre. Android may get there eventually, but there's no decent handset yet, multitouch is required if you're going to present a decent user experience without a keyboard. Styluses are awful to use.

I think the Iphone 3gs is wasted potential. You can't use that power for much on the iphone and even if you do get good games working such as Quake 3 after jailbreaking, the controls would suck. Its like the Toshiba TG01 that has a 1ghz chip but is only intended to use this power to make it faster and for 3d effects. I might be wrong with this one but I noticed how some macs a ridiculessly powerful and expsensive but you couldn't really test out its power because barely any games are made for the Mac. What I'm basicly saying is that the Pandora doesn't waste its potential because you can do so much with it. If there was another open source console that came out right now and was better than the Pandora then I might cancel my order but unlike computers there is like a 5 year gap between the production of the gaming consoles.

At least we're still tied for "most powerful CPU/graphics in a handheld"

Not to mention the superior control hardware, the hardware keyboard, or the clamshell design.
Or that we can USE our hardware, without asking anyone's permission.

The iPhone has tied the Pandora in a single category, and they won't even be using it fully because of their bizarre development strategy. OP is still the best handheld by a large margin.

I've got an idea...

The most powerful handheld in the world*

* that comes with buttons

The samsung i8910 has OMAP 3430, buttons, GPS, 8MP camera, records 720p video, 3.7" OLED screen and capacitive touch.

It's also a phone.

ya, but that's like comparing a wedding dress to a space shuttle, the space shuttle being the Pandora

we already had this discussion in the other forum. the conclusion is that the iphone is not a gaming handheld, the pandora's 3d chip is stronger, and the iphone can only be overclocked to 833mhz, not to mention the overhead OS.

First 105 board... thought they had already ordered ALL boards weeks ago and that mass production/ordering of the boards has already begun. guess I'm wrong.

So if those 105 boards are good to go, then they'll order the rest of it and wait another 5 weeks? and we're also still waiting for the cases. oh my, it's going to be a long summer ...

If its going to take 5 weeks to make 105 boards then how long will it take to make 3895 more. What was ever wrong with the boards anyway for taking this long to get started. I hope their just over exaggerating cause I don't even what to think of what the release date will be if their not. How come there only making 105? I thought it was going to be 400 or 500.

If its going to take 5 weeks to make 105 boards then how long will it take to make 3895 more. What was ever wrong with the boards anyway for taking this long to get started. I hope their just over exaggerating cause I don't even what to think of what the release date will be if their not. How come there only making 105? I thought it was going to be 400 or 500.
The finetuning of the machine takes about four weeks. They want to keep the failure rate under 1%. You can't extrapolate from the time needed for the first 100 to the time needed for rest of the first batch.

Back