Official Gba Whine Thread

hmm i think its possible without sound... still the gp32 has to emulate both, cpu and gpu of the gba.. perhaps (i dont know if its possible) you could do something like wine for linux or Mol (mac on linux for PPC) both allow to emulate another system, but they dont emulate the cpu, cause its the same.
if something like that would be possible... there would be more power left to emulate the rest, so you could reach a playable level of emulation.
But i think this is MUCHHHHH!H!!! work... and no one want to do this..
also you have to build more ram in your gp32, cause there are no so much 4MB games... (but still, i think the ram is the smallest problem, the biggest is to find a coder :D )
so i dont hope anymore for a gba emu, still i would be happy to have one...
perhaps when more coders get the gp32 (europe launch)
i dont think that chui, thunderz, yoyo or rlyeh are intrested in this anymore... so we wont see a emu from them
(hmm fGBA would be still cool)
ok bye

HOLY SHIT HOW MANY TIMES DOES SOMETHING LIKE THIS HAVE TO BE POSTED OR ASKED
exactly! LOL

if people want to play GBA games THAT badly, why not just BUY a GBA?!

with SNES, MD, PC Engine, GB and Atari ST emulators available these days, the GP32 doesn't even NEED a GBA emulator anyway :p

Last edited by a moderator:
I wonder why did the gp32x forum creator add a "search" option... :unsure:
Maybe for the newb to have a look before posting.. :rolleyes: .
:lol:
GBA sounds great but its really useless except to impress friends...thats all <_<

see you ;)

yeah, and if you really want to play GBA games, get yourself a GBA, even a used one in mint condition isnt that expensive. The Expensive thing is the flashcart, hehehe!

flash cards are ridiculously cheap compared to what they used to cost... they're about 100 euros, and that's not THAT much money imho...

it could be possible if someone sits down and codes a emulator from scratch but this would take a long long time :D maybe :D

Dont flame if this has already been asked/talked about.

I was checking out a site: http://vba.ngemu.com/

The source is there. I was wondering if anyone is going to try and port this to gp32?

Thanks, sorry if already been asked/talked about.

hmm i think its possible without sound... still the gp32 has to emulate both, cpu and gpu of the gba.. perhaps (i dont know if its possible) you could do something like wine for linux or Mol (mac on linux for PPC) both allow to emulate another system, but they dont emulate the cpu, cause its the same.
You do know Wine stands for "Wine Is Not an Emulator" right? :p

Actually, I've been looking through the documentation on the chip in the GP32 and something like this *might* be possible... Basically, you would use the MMU to set up a virtual address space to run the GBA in, then mark all the "special" addresses (the display memory, controls etc) as invalid. Then you catch the exceptions that happen when the GBA code tries to write/read to them (like Mr. Spiv's BIOS), and emulate what the GBA hardware would do with the values put there.

Problems I can see with this:

1) You need to be able to set up MMU, set up the necessary interrupt vectors. You need the CPU to be in Adminstrator mode to do all this.... and I think that is only possible if you change the firmware (anyone know about this?)
2) Huge number of interrupts/exceptions flying around. Could kill the speed.
3) Don't know how you would handle interrupts the GBA code is expecting to receive, such vblank.
4) Extremely bloody hard.
5) Getting timing right even harder. Suspect large number of GBA games would fail if timing isn't right.

It's way beyond may abilities in assembler, and may not be possible at all...

Last edited by a moderator:
hmm hehe i know wine is not an emu...
im just not that good in english.. and i didnt know how i could say what i mean..
its more a wrapper right?
and i thinks this way is too difficult, that anyone would try this..

Back