On/off Switch For The Wifi

canguy247

Still Fresh
Hey all,

Just wondering if it will have a switch to kill the power to the wifi. If not, would it be simple enough to add? (ie - cut a trace and solder to some pads)

This is a necessity for me as where I work is sensitive to RFI.

Thanks,

Canguy

There should be one somewhere, Maping a button to a key might work. If not, you could always inclose the Pandora in a flexible copper chicken wire case! :D

I think there will be a Fn+? combination that will turn off the WiFi, but I'm not sure.

Wifi can be configured, including being shut off completely, through software. There may or may not be a dedicated FN+??? = wifi key, but if there isn't, you can map one. Everything will be very configurable.

It should be easy to get at by default because there are situations where you'd want to be able to turn it off immediately.

It has been stated already that Wifi can be put into low power mode as well as completely powered down.

Hey all

Thanks for the replies but I was thinking more along the lines of a hard switch to kill the power to the wifi - like the PSP. I know this is not something that a lot of people need. I was just wondering how easy it would be to add. Does the radio use one of the 2 unused USB ports?

Canguy

I don't think it'll be getting a hardware on/off button, but stranger things have happened. I've no idea if MJW has plans for it on a future hardware revision.

Whats wrong with killing the Wifi using a softkey? Or do you want to ensure the Wifi stays disabled across reboots?

GunPei2X said:
Do you think there will be a boot option to have the Wifi off by default?
It would make sense to have the Wifi disabled by default, and then turned on by the OS when required. After all, pointless wasting power for the Wifi chip whilst the thing is booting and has no network drivers to talk to the Wifi anyway :)

Last edited by a moderator:
the pandora "menu" (or "power") button should bring in a popup with all these kind of info, dont you guys think? (as if it was a master button, ruling over any other. this setup will only work if it's quick and will open over any app, just like zodiac's power button did)

You don't know if a problematic app has left wifi on, so you have got to have the option to quickly turn it off. plus itll let you choose between wifi lans, switch between brightness levels, etc etc

:) don't you guys think this should be incorporated into the gui and stop the need for a dedicated wifi button?

Back