One Must Fall 2097 Dosbox Video Request

Let's try this again.

ze_ro said:
Doing a little research, it seems Carmageddon's system requirements include a 75MHz Pentium.

Now, take a look at this video posted by Pickle himself. Blake Stone (386 required) has noticeable slowdown, and Dark Forces (486DX required) is almost unplayable even with the sound turned off.

There is no way that Carmageddon is going to be playable this way. Look into the PSX or N64 versions instead.

Carmageddon 2 requires Windows 95, so forget about that one too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Someone should run Norton SysInfo and see what CPU speed it reports.

DSx86 (x86 emu for DS) runs at 11Mhz so it should be a lot higher on a Pandora.

Good to hear that OMF runs supposedly fine. I just got my Pandora and look forward to giving it ago. OMF 2097 is the one game I've been wanting to try the most with DOSBOX, so if nobody else posts a video, you can expect one from me if you're still interested (cell phone camera though...sorry, better than nothing?) ;)

I never listen to what people think will run or won't anymore even if they have intricate knowledge of processors or what not. I don't listen because there are so many nay-sayers out there that the few people that know get lost in a sea of 'it will run/won't run because(insert reason here, i.e. not fast enough, their uncle made the Pentium chip, will tear/patch space time, ect.).

I'll believe what will run and won't run when I have my Pandora in my hands. I'm not trying to discredit anyone but I've seen so many people proved wrong in this area I just want to see for my self. That said my expectations for dosbox are pretty low, I can't get stuff running on my PC because DOS is such a mess.

Trevsweb said:
played OMF last night ran fine got my arse handed to me by everything lol
Just played OMF @ 830 MHz and it was VERY slow...unplayably slow :huh:

second exodous said:
I'll believe what will run and won't run when I have my Pandora in my hands. I'm not trying to discredit anyone but I've seen so many people proved wrong in this area I just want to see for my self.

That's strong of you. I'm a little more credulous: I'll let well-shot videos influence my opinion. Beyond that...it seems a bit he-said, he-said in this thread all of a sudden.

Azure said:
Trevsweb said:
Well, I increased clock to 850, lowered sound quality, and disabled 1 or 2 things in the video options in OMF2097 (such as shadows), and now the game is very playable...it works surprisingly well, actually, and is quite fun to play (getting all nostalgic all of a sudden!). Only down side is the cruddy sound quality (which is a shame for a game with such great music...especially the menu music theme!).

One Must Fall 2097 actually has a LOT of options that can come in handy on slower computers (and therefor, DOSBox) to make it playable. If you look in the "Gameplay" menu, there's an option to change the game speed. Maybe try playing with that option?

--Zero

Azure said:
Azure said:
Trevsweb said:
Well, I increased clock to 850, lowered sound quality, and disabled 1 or 2 things in the video options in OMF2097 (such as shadows), and now the game is very playable...it works surprisingly well, actually, and is quite fun to play (getting all nostalgic all of a sudden!). Only down side is the cruddy sound quality (which is a shame for a game with such great music...especially the menu music theme!).

I can say that I had the same experience when i tried it last night, had to clock at 800 and turn off features

Ridiculously late, but here's a crappy low-quality video taken from my cell phone (better than nothing?):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-cmfJfowCw

(Running @ 790 Mhz)

If anyone finds the quality tolerable and has any other requests (DOSBOX or otherwise), let me know and I can see what I can do.

You guy's trying these things out really want to replace dos4gw with dos32 (a free smaller and much faster replacement). Sometimes you need to "unbind" dos4gw from the original *.exe file, but dos32 comes with tools that help you to do that. It's a bit awkward for people who haven't done it before, but once you do it a couple of times it's very easy. Just read the instructions. You can get it here:

http://dos32a.narechk.net/index_en.html

Hopes this helps, should give a noticable speedup on a lot of mid 90s <> games.

TitanUranus said:
Sometimes you need to "unbind" dos4gw from the original *.exe file, but dos32 comes with tools that help you to do that. It's a bit awkward for people who haven't done it before, but once you do it a couple of times it's very easy. Just read the instructions.
I tried replacing the original DOS4GW with DOS32A (renamed to DOS4GW) and didn't notice OMF 2097 running any faster, so I'm guessing I have to "unbind" dos4gw? What are the tools that dos32 comes with to help do this (which file??)?

Azure said:
TitanUranus said:
Sometimes you need to "unbind" dos4gw from the original *.exe file, but dos32 comes with tools that help you to do that. It's a bit awkward for people who haven't done it before, but once you do it a couple of times it's very easy. Just read the instructions.
I tried replacing the original DOS4GW with DOS32A (renamed to DOS4GW) and didn't notice OMF 2097 running any faster, so I'm guessing I have to "unbind" dos4gw? What are the tools that dos32 comes with to help do this (which file??)?

Hi Azure. As far as I can tell, the utilities come within the zip file you get from the download page of the project. The documentation is here: http://dos32a.narechk.net/manual/index.html

To reach the info page for the 'bind' utlity, go to: DOS/32 Advanced DOS Extender - Utility Programs -> 1.0 - DOS/32 Advanced - SUNSYS Bind Utility program

Cheers and thanks for testing that game :) .

Actually, I briefly get shown a little screen indicating DOS32A is being used after I run omf.exe, so maybe it's not a binding issue? I guess I was just expecting a noticeable speed increase...

Back