Release One Must Fall 2097 (remake)

People... I don't take on consideration if OMF is playable or not because:

openomf
Calling ptitseb! We need this :D

One nitpick - they changed the lightning intro in that video! Yes I've played that much :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Can't start it, tells me (in a hard to read dialogue box) "error while initialising log /mnt/utmp/openomf/bin/openomf.log", and the following from pndout:
Code:
cp: cannot create regular file './bin/openomf.conf': operation not permitted
cp: cannot create regular file './bin/openomf.log': operation not permitted
cp: cannot create regular file '././bin/openomf.conf': operation not permitted
cp: cannot create regular file '././bin/openomf.log': operation not permitted
cp: 'default/..' and '.' are the same file

Edit: tracked downt the issue and it works, and it works well :)

PND
Works fine for me, on my Rebirth @ 800 MHz (ext2 card) but suffers from some heavy slowdowns in the desert arena when the planes appear and start shooting at the contenders. Strangely there are is also slowdowns after the match when points/credits are given and the text moves towards the players score.

Regarding the game itself, while it certainly looks and behaves like the original game, it lacks the "feeling" for me, especially the ai needs some adjustments (I won a Thorn vs. Flail fight, by just standing still and kicking all the time). Hope this sees a lot of updates in the future :)

Can't start it, tells me (in a hard to read dialogue box) "error while initialising log /mnt/utmp/openomf/bin/openomf.log", and the following from pndout:

cp: cannot create regular file './bin/openomf.conf': operation not permitted
cp: cannot create regular file './bin/openomf.log': operation not permitted
cp: cannot create regular file '././bin/openomf.conf': operation not permitted
cp: cannot create regular file '././bin/openomf.log': operation not permitted
cp: 'default/..' and '.' are the same file
I have been having the same problem, and i thought it could just be me. Guess not, strange its only happening to some of us. I cant figure out the difference i use the same method all the time.

It can be worked around by creating the appdata f copying the files manually

You're setting uid/gid wrong, they're for your user on your local machine, make no sense on pandora. You need to pass "-all-root -force-gid 0" to mksquashfs, or just use the latest pnd_make.sh.

One Must Fall 2097 is a 2D fighting game that sets you up as gigantic 90 feet tall robots to beat the crap out of the other robot. With great gameplay, several gaming modes, and a very interesting combo system, this is one of the best fighters ever created.

PND

962-one-must-fall-2097-dos-screenshot-in-game-shots.gif

This is a remake of the original its more than what i expected but its not the full game yet. It seems so far all the moves are possible, some mechanics arnt perfect (throws).

Tourament mode is missing (my fav).

But it looks promising and it uses SDL2 for GLES2 accleration so its fullspeed.

Hey!

I'm one of the developers of OpenOMF, and while it's nice to see the game getting ported, I've got a few things I need to nitpick about.

1. The license of the game is MIT, not GPL (as is said on the repository site). Also, the LICENSE file has to be included in any package of the game.
  2. The project website is wrong. www.omf2097.com is a fan website. The actual project website is http://www.openomf.org .
  3. Even though I agree that One Must Fall 2097 and Diversions Entertainment should be credited, your project name and author is wrong; it should be OpenOMF and OpenOMF Project. You might also say that right now our small remake doesn't do any credit to the original game, so it's kind of impolite to the original devs to claim it's even close by naming it as the original ;)
  4. If the version number is supposed to be the version of the game and not the package, it should be 0.6.5.
If you wish to reduce the size of the package, there are some resource files you can remove. Take a look at chapter 3. in our installation guide: https://github.com/omf2097/openomf/blob/master/INSTALL.md .

Also, it might be worth it to note somewhere that the OpenOMF game is still highly experimental stuff, and some of the HAR moves may crash or freeze the game :)

</nitpicking> Otherwise, good job. Nice to see that the game actually works on other platforms than x86/x86_64, too :)

Edit: Fix'd a few words. I blame the coffee.

A well documented OpenSource project? That's a first
Yes. You see, we have this cunning plan to bring in more developers. We lure them in with promises of good documentation, and when they realize what a mess the codebase is, it's too late -- they're already hooked!

Awesome! I get some stuttering on my CC, I think sound related? It's worst on the desert level when planes attack and I think their sound bytes overlap.

Also a couple of moves are suuuper broken :)

Loved playing this back in the day. Works quite nicely, but there's a massive slowdown when the airplanes come in on the desert level.

Keep on the good work! This is pure nostalgia for me!

What kind of devs are you looking for? What are the main tasks/challenges?
First off -- thanks :)

We have an issue tracker at Github and some milestones.

To summarize the current tasks:

• The animations/moves on HARs/arenas/cutscenes are scripted in the resource files (.AF / .BK) with certain kind of animation strings. Eg. string "A1-s4B2-C100" is divided into three descriptors (splits at '-' character). Each descriptor defines a sprite and length in ticks it has to be shown (show frame A for 1 ticks, then show frame B for 2 ticks, then show frame C for 100 ticks.". Frame 2 also has a sound tag, which tells the game to play a sound at this frame. There are a ton of tags, and we need to find out what these tags do. We have a (mostly up-to-date) list at http://omf2097.com/wiki/doku.php?id=openomf:animation_string .
  • Some parts of certain data files are still unknown. We need to find out what those contain.
  • The movement/jump speeds are currently unknown. Or we know the values in the files, but we don't know how they map to actual speeds in the game. So we need to either get these right by just trying, or somehow uncover what the values mean.
  • Our current video system is a mess. We have a somewhat working hardware accelerated renderer, and then we have a cludgy software renderer that takes care of stuff that the HW renderer can't do. We might want to switch to full opengl and do palette magic etc. in shaders.
  • Tournament mode, finalizing REC playback and recording, better AI, etc. etc. etc.
  • A ton of bugs to fix.
So, the kind of people we need:

• Jedi Masters who can read disassembled x86 Linear Executables like it's english for the purpose of finding data from the original game. I'm currently doing this, but i'm not very good at it.
  • C programmers who can implement new stuff and fix old stuff.
  • Random people who don't feel like coding, but can test the heck out of the binary and fill in detailed bug reports ;)
  • More people to write documentation!
Right now our development is kind of sporadic -- we're working on it 100% for a couple of weeks, then we're taking a break again for a month. More people working on it would keep the project moving more consistently :p

Back