One video per day - Discussions

Awwwww. We didn't have a video today :(

Though I agree with Cosurgi that a video about the battery life would advertise one of the strongest points of the Pandora, I have no problem taking EDs word for it.

A video on tv-out would be nice, assuming ED actually has a cable around.

<edit>With today I mean yesterday :p </edit>

Last edited by a moderator:
Awwwww. We didn't have a video today :(

Though I agree with Cosurgi that a video about the battery life would advertise one of the strongest points of the Pandora, I have no problem taking EDs word for it.

A video on tv-out would be nice, assuming ED actually has a cable around.

<edit>With today I mean yesterday :p </edit>

We will have. I just wasn't in during the last hours, currently uploading :)

I wish more time was spent on the apps... that was so quick that you didn't even show what they did really.

I guess covering apps is harder than covering emulators or browsers, because you have to learn how they work and it's not your field...

I haven't looked into it, but you could probably install most of those applications on your home computer. I think the video is supposed to be a teaser more than a "here's how it works."

I haven't looked into it, but you could probably install most of those applications on your home computer.
The same could be said for music players or browsers. The point, as it was then, is to show how usable they are on the handheld Pandora (and also to introduce them to people who don't want to download them to see what they are).

For example, I would've liked to see how usable Pencil is on the Pandora not for doodling, but for what it's meant to be - an animation program. Even just by creating a few frames and letting the short animation run.

But as I said, a lot of these apps are for things that are not ED's field, so I can see how it's more difficult.

But having a short video that shows many applications would be best for showing the versatility of the unit. Also, major updates to the software would require new videos. Perhaps other users more familiar with the programs should post video replies to these videos.

I am sorry that I won't be reading through 13 pages of this discussion, however, I would like to see how things can be downloaded from all these repositories that I've heard of. I'm not going to get into specifics because that is why I want a video, to learn and see what is available to play with. I don't have a clue how to do any of it. Debian, Angstrom etc

Thank You!

But having a short video that shows many applications would be best for showing the versatility of the unit. Also, major updates to the software would require new videos. Perhaps other users more familiar with the programs should post video replies to these videos.
Of course it's a balancing act.

It's simply my opinion that compared to things like emulators, browsers or music players, which were covered in depth in prior videos, the apps in this video were barely covered at all other than quickly opening & closing their windows.

I also think that the average user loses out, because just from the video most of these apps look like they can't do much. Okay, so it shows that you can doodle a bit in Xournal. You can do that in any paint software too, so I think as a viewer, what's the big deal? How about showing that Xournal can write on PDF documents? That's a really useful feature.

It just kinda looks like ED didn't study the features of these programs before doing the video to figure out what to show off, but just opened them up and did the most obvious thing.

And again, understandable, because he's quite busy - though I'm still kinda disappointed.

Hey ED,

thanks for showing my fractal generator, it's great to finally see it running on the pandora.

Which version was it? Latest one from the app store? Or the archive? They should be the same but the splash screen looked wrong.

In addition, did it crash or did you press escape?

Thank you and keep up the great work!

It's simply my opinion that compaOred to things like emulators, browsers or music players, which were covered in depth in prior videos, the apps in this video were barely covered at all other than quickly opening & closing their windows.

It just kinda looks like ED didn't study the features of these programs before doing the video to figure out what to show off, but just opened them up and did the most obvious thing.

Yes, that was exactly the problem. I didn't have much time and didn't use them really at all, just looked up a bit what they are.

I'll try to cover some more deeply with later videos, this is just meant to be a quick overview.

Which version was it? Latest one from the app store? Or the archive? They should be the same but the splash screen looked wrong.

In addition, did it crash or did you press escape?

Should be the latest from my archive. I pressed ESC, it didn't crash :)

I am sorry that I won't be reading through 13 pages of this discussion, however, I would like to see how things can be downloaded from all these repositories that I've heard of. I'm not going to get into specifics because that is why I want a video, to learn and see what is available to play with. I don't have a clue how to do any of it. Debian, Angstrom etc
Hmm, I'd say that while that stuff would make a good article or maybe a video, it's not something for Ed's series. It's cool that it's easier to install a secondary OS on the Pandora than it is most other handhelds, but replacing the OS of a system or dual booting it is something that's unusual on any system. Better off showing what it can do out of the box (or nearly so) in this series of videos.

^

So you are saying that in order to use these repositories, a totally separate OS needs to be installed? Seems that installing a new OS is about as hard as getting the Amiga emulator working. We have a video of Amiga being played but not its installation. Isn't the Pandora already dual boot in a sense?

Well I think the issue is there has been a lot of Pandora specific changes to the OS from the default Angstrom install. Sure you could connect to the Angstrom repository and install stuff, but it could occasionally break things. I know from what I heard you definitely don't want to do an upgrade with opkg. I know there has been talk of getting a Pandora specific repository. I'd like to see that myself.

Well I think the issue is there has been a lot of Pandora specific changes to the OS from the default Angstrom install. Sure you could connect to the Angstrom repository and install stuff, but it could occasionally break things. I know from what I heard you definitely don't want to do an upgrade with opkg. I know there has been talk of getting a Pandora specific repository. I'd like to see that myself.

The repo exists and is working (if you put that into the OPKG config files):

http://www.openpandora.org/feeds/

It's been there for a long while (August, AFAIR).

However, it's only the repo for stock OS things. If you have the community codec pack installed, you'd have to reinstall it each time you updated as OPKG removes those packages when updating as they don't exist in the repo here.

I don't know how to setup the server to spit out different repos (i.e. restricted one you manually need to accept on the unit). Some people offered help, but that didn't happen sadly.

That's the only thing left before you can do an easy and proper OS update.

Hey ED, the PDF that you showed off in yesterdays video... Can you post it? I'd love to see what the Pandora looked like in early designs and such.

Back