Only Able To Use Half Of My Sd Card?

lancelott

I've had a history of trouble with my ADATA products. I bought a 2GB 150x a while back and after getting tons of problems with it randomly unmounting or mis-saving a file, I exchanged it for a new one.

Now, when I look at the free space in Windows, it says I have about 954MB used and 950MB free. I tried mounting it from both my GP2X and my card reader. Both report the same thing.

I formatted multiple times, on both the card reader and GP2X. When I format, it says "Capacity: 1.86 GB". However, it goes back to the 954MB used BS after I finish.

How do I reclaim all my space? This is driving me insane.

Have you tried checking it out with a partition editor,

Assuming windows XP go to the control panel, Administrative Tools, Computer Management, and check out Disk Management.

use it to make sure you have the whole thing partitioned correctly,

Alternatively try CompuAppps Swissknife V3,

I personally had to use Dos or Linux to wipe and re-partition it with a true partition (windows screws it up again)

but that is only an option in Dos if you know what to do (Fdisk) and your computer bios has USB-IDE emulation.

I found I had to do some weird stuff to get it working right the first time.

I had checked Disk Management. The full 1.86GB is being utilized.

But some amount of it is Used for some absurd reason in every check.

Vimacs posted on Apr 28 2006 at 09:59 PM said:
to me it sounds like a faulty cardreader that can handle >1gb.
Then my GP2X must be faulty too, because it says I've used half of it even when I reformat it with the SD card in the GP2X. The format screen says 2GB even.

I explained this in my post.

Last edited by a moderator:
lancelott posted on Apr 29 2006 at 11:59 AM said:
I've had a history of trouble with my ADATA products. I bought a 2GB 150x a while back and after getting tons of problems with it randomly unmounting or mis-saving a file, I exchanged it for a new one.

Now, when I look at the free space in Windows, it says I have about 954MB used and 950MB free. I tried mounting it from both my GP2X and my card reader. Both report the same thing.

I formatted multiple times, on both the card reader and GP2X. When I format, it says "Capacity: 1.86 GB". However, it goes back to the 954MB used BS after I finish.

I had this problem too when I first got my card reader. I would format the 2GB SD to FAT32, and it would wipe out half the space (showing only 968MB free).

I fixed it by selecting a 'Quick Format' in the Windoze format window. When I did that, the card formatted perfectly with all 2GB free.

So try that and see if you have any luck.

White Demon posted on Apr 28 2006 at 10:41 PM said:
lancelott posted on Apr 29 2006 at 11:59 AM said:

I had this problem too when I first got my card reader. I would format the 2GB SD to FAT32, and it would wipe out half the space (showing only 968MB free).

I fixed it by selecting a 'Quick Format' in the Windoze format window. When I did that, the card formatted perfectly with all 2GB free.

So try that and see if you have any luck.
Holy Christ, that did the trick!

Thanks a lot!

*Edit NM* I tried another card reader and a fresh format worked perfectly , thank god it was that and not my card .

My 2gig just started doing this and quick format doesnt work for me .

In windows partition manager I can see the partion but cant get any option up when I right click it, all I can get is properties .

I have tried sd data recovery software and external partiion programs with no luck . I hope it isn't busted 512 is not enough .

on a side note, i formatted my 2 gig sd card yesterday while it was inside the gp2x and i ended up with the same thing, 2 gig space but already 1 gig used while there was nothing on the card, might be an issue with the gp2x

I do believe there's a bug with GP2X USB. I have a card reader and a built-in reader from my laptop. Both readers in Windows XP reads my 4GB SD card correctly. However, when I use the USB feature of GP2X, it asks me to reformat it and it only sees about 988 MB of the whole card.

Well, I checked in both the GP2X and the card reader (quick formatted with the card reader) and they both report the right size and usage. Don't know what to say to those of you who have no luck.

I had this issue before as well, it's the card reader that doesn't support more than 1 gig. The only solutions are either to get a different card reader or connect the gp2x via usb and format it there.

sorry, but i have a similar problem with my 512 SD (for my NDS)
I'm using a typhoon 6in1 card reader.

If i put more files on the card than 220MB all files get corrupted.
So its surely the card reader?

Back