Release Open Arena

Not tested long but really nice and fluid.

Seems like you're the master of Quake engine now ;)

I tried it. A few artifacts here and there, but very playable. I am terrible with the nubs, etc. but then again I'm not that good. I did have a problem that when I went into multiplayer, I accidentally set servers to favorites and couldn't get it off that. I finally plugged in my USB hub and used my keyboard and mouse and was able to get it changed to Internet. Very strange, I got the clicks as if it was changing, but it stayed on favorites. I saw one post via google where another OA user had that problem some time ago.

I tried it. A few artifacts here and there, but very playable. I am terrible with the nubs, etc. but then again I'm not that good. I did have a problem that when I went into multiplayer, I accidentally set servers to favorites and couldn't get it off that. I finally plugged in my USB hub and used my keyboard and mouse and was able to get it changed to Internet. Very strange, I got the clicks as if it was changing, but it stayed on favorites. I saw one post via google where another OA user had that problem some time ago.
I haven't tried much the GUI. But may be the problem is because activating Joystick, I have to deactivate mouse button, and the "Enter" key is not enough to validate? Just a wild guess (because I have this problem on RtCW when activating Joystick, some rare function are only selectable with a click, not "Enter", and I'm working on it).

This does not work for me. how do i start the game up/
As TrashyMG wrote, nothing special is needed.

Be sure you are running the latest firmware version, verify you download (in a terminal do a md5sum path/to/openarena.pnd and you should have 71e24f4830e4981ffaa2c052d5bdeaac) and describe more precisely your issue (and ultimately, copy/paste the /tmp/pndrun_openarena.out file).

So, I assume the 2nd build supports the left nub for aiming or movement? If so, Nice Job on accomplishing that. I picked up my Pandora again just for this! :D

So, I assume the 2nd build supports the left nub for aiming or movement? If so, Nice Job on accomplishing that. I picked up my Pandora again just for this! :D
Yes, both nubs are usable. For now, Right Nub is Aiming, Left nub is movement. I may give the ability to inverse that in the future, if there is some demand for it.

Hi,

Merci ptitSeb, but Open Arena doesn't work for me :(

I'm running the latest Super Zaxxon release on a Rebirth Pandora, with Notaz's beta SGX drivers (version 4.08.00.02...)

SDL using driver "x11"
Initializing OpenGL display
Estimated display aspect: 1.667
...setting mode 11: 800 480
Using 8/8/8 Color bits, 24 depth, 8 stencil display.
WSEGL_InitialiseDisplay: DRI2OpenConnection failed
Available modes: '800x480'
GL_RENDERER: (null)
----- Client Shutdown (Client fatal crashed: Q_strncpyz: NULL src) -----
RE_Shutdown( 1 )
-----------------------
Q_strncpyz: NULL src

I guess it has something to do with framebuffer mode...

Bye and thanks,

Magic Sam

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi,

Merci ptitSeb, but Open Arena doesn't work for me :(

I'm running the latest Super Zaxxon release on a Rebirth Pandora, with Notaz's beta SGX drivers (version 4.08.00.02...)

SDL using driver "x11"
Initializing OpenGL display
Estimated display aspect: 1.667
...setting mode 11: 800 480
Using 8/8/8 Color bits, 24 depth, 8 stencil display.
WSEGL_InitialiseDisplay: DRI2OpenConnection failed
Available modes: '800x480'
GL_RENDERER: (null)
----- Client Shutdown (Client fatal crashed: Q_strncpyz: NULL src) -----
RE_Shutdown( 1 )
-----------------------
Q_strncpyz: NULL src

I guess it has something to do with framebuffer mode...

Bye and thanks,

Magic Sam
Oh, strange. I though I tested it with beta driver (to avoid artefacs). I'll take a look this week.

*EDIT* and OA is using SDL & eglport. It should work anyway. Looks like a string is set to null, the name of the renderer it seems according to the log, because EGL can't connect to the display. Very strange.

Open question:

For next version, I'll try to put the Joystick Nub to true analog (i.e. it's not just like DPad, full forward is run, a bit forward is walk) and give the possibility to exchange left/right nub (via text file modification).

Question is, do you want "toggle crouch" (press crouch one time to stay crouch, press again or jump to "uncrouch") or I left current behavour (press to crouch, release button to uncrouch)?

this game is fun and hard.  even with a mouse i got my ass kicked so bad.  beautiful graphics and awesome control but agree with Linux-Swat, toggle crouch would nice fix

How about a toggle to toggle the toggle crouch?

You start the app with params like autoexec, then also send commands to the app externally, like when saying to the server to change the map.

Back