Open Source h264 codec (from Cisco)

Could be interesting. I would also be interested in a DSP implementation of h264 - I think there's one somewhere on TI's website.

Could be interesting. I would also be interested in a DSP implementation of h264 - I think there's one somewhere on TI's website.
I have no experience with codecs, let's say I compile this, how do you even use this h264 codec afterwards? 
Typically a codec is implemented as a library (/usr/lib/libsomething.so) that is used by players and encoders.

I have no experience with codecs, let's say I compile this, how do you even use this h264 codec afterwards? 
Typically a codec is implemented as a library (/usr/lib/libsomething.so) that is used by players and encoders.
That, I expected as much, but how would you ensure that mplayer, for example, uses that library you compiled instead of another one for h264 ?

The stock h264 was open source for ages and has real heavy NEON optimizations, I don't understand what's the purpose of this project really.

I don't understand what's the purpose of this project really.
Clearance of patent issues. Cisco pays the maximum amount of license fees for this certain implementation, so everyone can legally use and redistribute it. The downside is of course that Cisco needs to apply all changes themselves, as it's only their binary that is affected.

Last edited by a moderator:
Clearance of patent issues. Cisco pays the maximum amount of license fees for this certain implementation, so everyone can legally use and redistribute it. The downside is of course that Cisco needs to apply all changes themselves, as it's only their binary that is affected.
Interesting. So the Pandora could ship with this (or a derivative)?

The big question is: Is it still considered to be officially licensed when compiled from that source code or do we actually need a precompiled binary from Cisco? It is said that there are Linux ARM binaries available, but I haven't found any official binaries so far.

you Dont want to recompress all your h264 files into somethng else, thats why. FTFY
Since you seem pretty sensible to bad english grammar or spelling :"Most people don't want to recompress all of their h264 files into something else, that's why."

There, I really fixed that sentence, happy now?

I just thought it would be better to put the intent in firstpost or lose the snarky tone. I didnt know, and i asked with the best of intentions.

Edut: lowercase i, deal with it.

you dont want to recompress all your h264 files into somethng else, thats why.
Pretty much. When I initially switched to FreeBSD years back, the main annoyances were lack of flash support and having to be really particular about which GPU I bought.

It's really unfortunate that companies are allowed to charge royalties on things that are necessary to properly use the web.

Back