OpenPandora+Android?

The only thing I worry about is that it may subtract from the number of apps developed for the Pandora.

Do note for 'droid its more complicated than you think; there is 'bare Android', and then there is the Android versions you see on peoples handsets, which is pretty different; you want google maps, google mail, etc .. those are licensed. Theres parts of the pandora firmware we don't have easy access to since we're not licensing anything.. with Android, you're losing key components right out (no app store, no maps!), etc.

Not entirely correct. The Google-apps can be downloaded and installed/sideloaded separately from here. AFAICT, that's a deal cyanogenmod made with google. It's just that rom-makers aren't allowed to integrate it into their roms without google's consent...

personally, I think arch>angstrom>android in awesomeness, but then again, I think sd-cards are the ideal place for linux distributions. With real package-management and everything included. pnds are fine, but don't make things easier for porting.

Android would be a nice addition and could be put on nand, if you ask me. Though I'd totally prefer an userspace-dalvik solution with >75% compatibility.

Last edited by a moderator:
Déjà vu, i think i have seen a thread just like this one a while back.

Anyway, i saw somebody mention one time a wine-like compatibility layer for ubuntu that ran android apps, here's an article about it if i'm not mistaken:

http://arstechnica.com/open-source/news/2009/05/canonical-developers-aim-to-make-android-apps-run-on-ubuntu.ars

There's also this Myriad Alien Dalvik i just stumbled upon, even though something tells me this is not exactly what it appears to be, here's what i found:

http://www.myriadgroup.com/Device-Manufacturers/~/link.aspx?_id=19B4E921058D4E159AE1812484F11C1A&_z=z

Last edited by a moderator:
IMHO, the priorities are :

1 - Perfect drivers

2 - Total integration in official Linux kernel tree

Additionally, 3 - a .tar.gz of OP-scripts/configs usable in any distro

Android would be shit.

Most of the computing power would go into OS, the screen is resistive not capacitive so using android in a similar way to a phone would be crap but more importantly development would have to be done in java.

cringe.

Think we need a sticky of why Android will never happen on the Pandora.

I think we should move to Android, but I know I'm in the minority.
I gave up even asking this community for an android port.

But I've been asking a bunch of 3rd party developers trying to find companies that would be willing to do the port for a decent price. I found a group that is a significant contributer to the Android OMAP 35xx rowboat project. They gave me a Android starter package price quote of 7.5k-20k USD depending on the chosen support options. Just for some comparison, most I talked to gave me 50-250k price quotes.

I don't have that kinda cash, even if I did I don't have enough invested into the idea to benefit really, but I'm willing to offer up $250 towards the cause.

If you would like his contact information let me know and I'll give you mine and his correspondence and his email address.

Most of the computing power would go into OS, the screen is resistive not capacitive so using android in a similar way to a phone would be crap but more importantly development would have to be done in java.

cringe.

Think we need a sticky of why Android will never happen on the Pandora.

No, C++ is possible.

But the whole screen thing would be problematic.

Well, I tried Android on my phone... it was nice, but I see no reason for it on the Pandora. I prefer XFCE4 and MiniMenu over a touchscreen interface here.

Our OS runs well and makes OpenSource games VERY easy to port.

The only reason for an Android port on the Pandora would be if games would support the gaming controls - which might actually happen soon: Companies will release more and more games supporting the XPeria Play Phone. These games could work on the Pandora as well.

It would be nice having the option to boot Android then.

Hi All,

I plan to give the Android port a go when I get my Pandora.

Probably work from the CyanogenMod, otherwise the omapzoom code base.

I'm about 1900 in Craig's queue, so any day now... well that's what I thought 2 month ago :)

I'm not sure it's the best OS for the Pandora, but I'm interested in giving the port a try.

Maybe replacing the need for multi-touch with gestures from the nubs etc.

Just so you know I've been working with embedded device for about 20 years, mostly embedded Linux, and it is my day job.

The only issue will be time, as with other dev's, but I plan to watch less TV, see my family less and give it a go :)

Anyway I've start the research and downloading the code base.

I've got a BeagleBoard to experiment with, but Android on the Beagle's already been done and it's the driver and API that needs the work for the Pandora version.

Just so you guys know.

The only reason for an Android port on the Pandora would be if games would support the gaming controls - which might actually happen soon: Companies will release more and more games supporting the XPeria Play Phone. These games could work on the Pandora as well.
Not really the only reason. There are plenty of people who would like the more streamlined and uniform interface that Android can offer.

Personally, I would prefer to see a compatibility layer for running Android games directly from the XFCE desktop rather than booting into a completely different environment.

Personally, I would prefer to see a compatibility layer for running Android games directly from the XFCE desktop rather than booting into a completely different environment.
the full os would probably be pretty poor in usability terms anyway, even if you ignore the non-multitouch screen, android would be slow unless someone put in serious optimisation work. just go try any android device that runs on an omap 3, biggest issue is the fact it'll slow to a crawl if you're doing anything

@GizmoAgent: also take a look at project (a)rowboat.

Android runs perfectly well on a resistive screen, and there isn't all that much that really requires multitouch. But android does rely heavily on using a touchscreen, and the positioning of the Pandora's screen makes that not entirely optimal...

Furthermore, most emulators for Android are (IMHO inferior) ports of the same emulators as what the Pandora has, there aren't all that many decent "native" Android games (and Angry Birds has a Qt-version for the N900), and I was pretty underwhelmed with the functionality of most apps. Most are very minimal... Oh, and there's practically no integration between them. They all live in their own little world... (But that might be me, I've only been playing with android for a short while on a slow Touch Diamond...)

IMHO, Android is still a very immature platform, with immature apps. Pandora's apps might not always have an optimal gui, but they do the functionality and maturity that comes with time.

So, The Pandora's form-factor is sub-optimal for android, and better suited to more desktop-like apps, and those apps are more mature anyways. So, as for now, Pandora's OS is a better, more functional fit for the Pandora than Android. Of Course, that doesn't mean there is no use for Android-apps (the more apps, the merrier, and many (web)services only provide an Android-app), but don't expect too much from android itself...

I think it would just be nice to run APK's to take advantage of the software offerings on Amazon/Android Marketplace.

Android still feels like a beta though.

Back