Opentyrian2x - Christmas Edition

slaanesh said:
Despite the project being OPEN, I don't know if we are allowed to distrubute the whole thing with all required files "ready to go"? This certainly would be nice.
Tyrian has been released as freeware, so although we can't license the data files under the GNU GPL (afaik) you can still distribute them freely.

Last edited by a moderator:
I kept myself from playing this until Christmas day :D Excellent work Kalimerou and Slaanesh, you're responsible for yet another GP2X killer-game!

It seems to run great at Pentium detail, I overclocked my GP2X to 250MHz just in case, but it runs great at lower speeds too. I think this is one of the best-looking shooters I ever played so far, on any platform. It reminds me of Sky Force in terms of visuals (obviously Tyrian has precedence here), maybe because of the translucent clouds.

I'm looking forward to the next update, this is simply fantastic :)

slaanesh said:
Okay and I'll add a README with the next release too.

Despite the project being OPEN, I don't know if we are allowed to distrubute the whole thing with all required files "ready to go"? This certainly would be nice.

Perhaps Kalimerou can enlighten us about this?
That would be great. I am sure I have alot of files in there taking up space that I don't need from the PC version. I deleted all .exe files as that is obvious other than that ???

Too much faster in some parts of the game, isn´t it? Frame limiter is needed maybe.

Thank you for the port :)

slaanesh said:
Okay and I'll add a README with the next release too.

Perhaps Kalimerou can enlighten us about this?
I'm not sure... The only reference I could find about the subject is on Wikipedia. To sum up :
- the Tyrian engine has been re-coded and then released as OpenTyrian under GPL
- Daniel Cook's Tyrian artwork has been released under "liberal terms"
- nothing is said about Tyrian levels, so they're certainly still owned by Epic Megagames (the publisher)
I don't believe that Epic would pursue us, as they entrusted the OpenTyrian team. So I agree with Mindless, it would certainly be possible to distribute a complete "all-in-1" package. But, please, don't forget (at least) the COPYRIGHT notice :p ==>> source URL for data files, GPL licence for OT2x binary.

Rivroner said:
Too much faster in some parts of the game, isn´t it? Frame limiter is needed maybe.

Thank you for the port :)

This would be hard stuff for a minor trouble, would'nt it ? you'd rather underclock your GP2x :p

The button changes sound good!
Although there's no need for L+R to both do the same thing. It's much better if they fire their individual weapons like previously.

Most side-kicks automatically fire with the main guns and those which don't (usually the ones which use ammo) need to be used individually. So it's not like you have to hold down L+R all the time.

I'm really looking forward to the next release :D
Hopefully the OpenTyrian team will get Tyrian2000 data files working for even more fun!
My 2c ;)

Back