Opentyrian V0.3

I played the game, it is a lot faster than before, and, as someone mentioned, sometimes it seems to run way way too fast (no speed limiter). Regardless, I had fun. I vote get rid of the RAM timings adjustment. It's so ridiculously easy to do this with Gmenu2X and avoids any and all trouble. First thing I did when I got the game installed was strip down the .GPE and use Gmenu2X to adjust RAM timings.

Manjuu said:
And another thing about the .gpe file. When you quit the program, it suppose to revert the RAM timings back to the default values (provided that cpu_speed.gpe is present), but the values it reverts to are different compared to my real default values, causing my F200 to crash.

The values in the .gpe file are:
./cpu_speed.gpe --cas 3 --trc 10 --tras 7 --twr 2 --tmrd 4 --trfc 4 --trp 15 --trcd 2

While my default values (using cpu_speed.gpe) are:
./cpu_speed.gpe --cas 2 --trc 8 --tras 16 --twr 3 --tmrd 8 --trfc 8 --trp 8 --trcd 8

Are the default values different for all GP2X?

(I edited the .gpe file to make it work properly, so both my complains about the .gpe file were already solved. I just thought that I should let someone know about it.)

I'm quite a noob regarding ram tweaks... I found these values somewhere in cpu_speed or rhyley's minimal lib source code, when looking for the best way to use ram tweaks :ph34r:. I thought they were right, but I was wrong :p
Anyway, thank you for the information ! where did you pick these values ? Do you know if they're the same for F100 ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Kalimerou said:
I'm quite a noob regarding ram tweaks... I found these values somewhere in cpu_speed or rhyley's minimal lib source code, when looking for the best way to use ram tweaks :ph34r:. I thought they were right, but I was wrong :p
Anyway, thank you for the information ! where did you pick these values ? Do you know if they're the same for F100 ?
Well I just used cpu_speed.gpe (without having any previously saved config file) to tell me what my defaults were. After a reboot (to reset to default values) of my F200, the first thing I do is run this application, and this is what the values in the RAM Settings show.

Sorry, I neither know if the values are the same as with the F100, nor if all F200 have the same values. :(

Can someone else enlighten us on this matter?

Well you can just omit the restoring of default values on exit to avoid any more complication. A lot of the other software that also use RAM tweaks don't restore back to defaults on exit, so it's not a big deal. Or as Senor Quack suggested, to just get rid of them all together. Maybe just add instructions to the Readme for those interested (for both Gmenu2x & the default gp2xmenu). :p

Manjuu said:
There seems to be a bug while navigating the menus. :(

e.g. While in the In-game Menu, I quickly tap down twice to the Detail Level setting. I then press right to change it, but it moves down to the Game Speed setting instead.

I hope this will be resolved (if this is indeed a bug). This is a really great game, I really like shooters. :D

Yes, all I did was to try and slow down the keypresses - I think I know why this is occuring. I'll try and fix.

As for launch scripts, we could supply an infinite number of launch scripts.

I think the best approach is for people to create their own but I realize that not everyone may be up to this.

The current package has a standard and gmenu2x script. I'd strongly advise people to use Gmenu2x if not already!

As for RAM Timings, perhaps I can just build this in to the next build by default - that would make it easier for everyone. With this in place we may not even need scripts (well just to activate Christmas mode).

I recently finished the game and found that there is also a Super-Arcade mode which could possibly be activated from a command-line option, so I might include something there too.

The only other thing I'd like to see would be Hi-Score support and a means of entering your name.

slaanesh said:
Yes, all I did was to try and slow down the keypresses - I think I know why this is occuring. I'll try and fix.

The only other thing I'd like to see would be Hi-Score support and a means of entering your name.
Great to hear. :lol: Nice to see that there are more features that could be added.

About the scripts & RAM tweaks, I doesn't really have any problems with them, as I edited the script to function to what I wanted it to do, but you are right that not everyone may be up to it.

Thanks again to you slaanesh & to you Kalimerou. Keep up the good work. B)

What is the difference between regular and gmenu2x game executables ?

by the way I've been playing this new version for 2 days and it's flawless and works excellent in all aspects I can see. Many thanks for the release

Alghazanth said:
What is the difference between regular and gmenu2x game executables ?
The opentyrian2x.gpe is a launcher script with RAM timings in them (you need cpu_speed.gpe for it to work on the same folder, unless you modify it), but it seems the RAM timing values when it tries to go back to the default values are incorrect (at least for my F-200, causing it to crash). The script also seems to point to Gmenu2x on exit, which would result into a blank screen for those who don't use that program.

The opentyrian2x-gmenu2x.gpe is a launcher script that is obviously intended for Gmenu2x. The only difference of the two of them are the RAM timings. This does not contain any, and you have to set them in Gmenu2x.

(There is also opentyrian2xmas.gpe, which is a script to launch OpenTyrian2x into Christmas mode. It sets the date to Christmas, but it seems to have an additional unnecessary command to delete the previous settings.)

(The opentyrian2x.gpe & opentyrian2x-gmenu2x.gpe seems to not include the restoring of the date to deactivate Christmas mode. You have to restart your GP2X in order to remove Christmas mode or delete the settings.)

Basically, all three executables are just scripts to launch the game. You can edit them to correct the errors or even create your own to function as how you want them to. B)

Any chance you could post the updated source code for v0.3? I want to take a look at that ASM sound mixing code.

Senor Quack said:
Any chance you could post the updated source code for v0.3? I want to take a look at that ASM sound mixing code.

Agreed !
@slaanesh : we're starving :p

Senor Quack said:
Hi,

Send me a pm with your email and I'll send it to you.
Its nothing particularly special, it just up mixes to the requested quality level using stm ldm where possible.
I'd really like someone to crit it as ARM asm is not my forte, though I really enjoy it.

-(e)

Someone else handled the Wiz port - but I've been busy porting OpenTyrian to A320 Dingoo and GP32!

The A320 version is nice and fast and pretty much as expected.

The big surprise for me is that the GP32 can handle OpenTyrian and rather well!
With music, it slows down a bit but if this is switched off but keep sound effects on, it's lightning fast!
Damn that FM sound generator code (just like MAME), it's a real dog to emulate - even if the generated FM music is very nice.
It's a pity that OpenTyrian doesn't have a "mod" or "xm" style music player which I'm sure would be a lot faster.

Anyway, releases soon for both. I've got a busy release schedule coming for both machines.

slaanesh said:
Someone else handled the Wiz port - but I've been busy porting OpenTyrian to A320 Dingoo and GP32!

The A320 version is nice and fast and pretty much as expected.

The big surprise for me is that the GP32 can handle OpenTyrian and rather well!
With music, it slows down a bit but if this is switched off but keep sound effects on, it's lightning fast!
Damn that FM sound generator code (just like MAME), it's a real dog to emulate - even if the generated FM music is very nice.
It's a pity that OpenTyrian doesn't have a "mod" or "xm" style music player which I'm sure would be a lot faster.

Anyway, releases soon for both. I've got a busy release schedule coming for both machines.
Can't wait!
smile.gif

Back