Opentyrian V0.3

slaanesh

Certified Guru
Website
www.slaanesh.net
Opentyrian2x is the open source GP2X port of the vertical scrolling shooter Tyrian originally for the PC.

NOTE: There are two downloadable versions:

Binary Only (use this to upgrade from v0.2 - assumes you have the necessary Tyrian PC files; may take a few hours to update archive)
Complete (ready to go version with all required files. Just unzip, install and go!)

Version 0.3 updates include:
* Non-fullscreen mode is now centered. See Title -> Opentyrian menu.
* ARM assembler sound mixer. Nice speed up, Pentium detail level is fully playable! Code is thanks to sweetlilmre and his efforts porting Tyrian to the Gizmondo.
* Improved controls within menus. No longer uncontrollably fast!
* Improved controls for accessing PAUSE and IN-GAME SETUP.
* GP2X specific readme-gp2x.txt providing instructions and setup.
* Smaller, stripped executable.
* Redefinable fire keys. See Options -> Joystick menu.

New default keys in game:

A/B are main fire
X is switch rear weapon
L is left side weapons fire
R is right side weapons fire
SELECT brings up in-game menu
START is pause

New default keys in menu:

A/B is main select
Y is back a menu or escape

Happy New Year!

Thanks to all those who posted suggestions and comments. :)

- Slaanesh, Kalimerou and the Opentyrian team.

Well done ! you've mastered that game 100 times faster than me :p
Thank you thank you thank you !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quite a remarkable amount of improvements have gone into this interpreter in recent weeks. Fabulous!

Wheee! slaanesh has put more work into this game in the last week than I have in the past month. great work! :D

Thanks everyone I hope you enjoy playing the game as much as I have been. It's such a great shooter and I was really motivated to get it going nicely.

I'm sort of annoyed I missed it on the PC. I *had* a PC when it was released. However I never really played arcade games as I didn't realize that the PC was capable of playing games of this calibre.

Does anyone know of other PC games that are as good as Tyrian?

As for this version there isn't much missing. Perhaps implementing the High Scores.

Two player mode would be awesome but how do we link two GP2X? I guess in theory the GP2X could play against a PC so that might be interesting?

Yeah of course! A few would be Major Stryker and Raptor, in the same genre - but there's loads of old Dos games out there that would be great to have on the Gp2x.

Tyrian though is probably the best, and I'm glad you guys have put so much work into it.

Couldn't we use the serial port for doing multiplayer? Yes we'd have to make up a custom cable but it would be really worth having - also a second usb controller could be used.

Well done! At the moment my absolute favourite game on the GP2x.
Happy new year to slaanesh and the team!

Regards,
Stephan

Zeladin said:
Yeah of course! A few would be Major Stryker and Raptor, in the same genre - but there's loads of old Dos games out there that would be great to have on the Gp2x.

Tyrian though is probably the best, and I'm glad you guys have put so much work into it.

Couldn't we use the serial port for doing multiplayer? Yes we'd have to make up a custom cable but it would be really worth having - also a second usb controller could be used.I believe that Slaanesh meant other PC games that are GPL'ed or with source and as good as Tyrian.
- Raptor is still to buy on that page : http://www.3drealms.com/raptor/index.html, so it'll be hard to get the source code.
- Major Stryker is freeware, but without source : http://www.3drealms.com/stryker/index.html

Here is a list of old commercial games released as freeware : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_comme...sed_as_freeware
And here is a list of open-source games : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_open_source_games

But I guess the best is here : http://www.emhsoft.com/
That site points to all Kenta Cho (the author of Noiz2sa) shooters :D

Rather that tiring ourselves at porting or reimplementing all these games, another solution may be to optimize dosbox. What to you think about that ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for continuing to improve this great port! The unscaled graphics look brilliant, and the whole game is quite playable at Pentium detail at 200MHz except for some small hiccups every now and then (a slight overclock makes them disappear). It seems like this version also saves the in-game configurations, that's another nice bonus :)

Great work indeed! I've played the demo when I was a kid, I'm delighted to play it on the GP2x, it's been a smooth and very enjoyable experience (not to mention the nostalgia ;)).

Only thing I've come across which can potentially be considered a minor minor flaw is the volume setting. It gets reset everytime the level starts, and gets set back to the level I've set in options whenever a boss appears. I'll have a look at the source code next week, when I have some free time. Nonetheless, excellent work!

i think it's pretty much complete by now, thanks a lot all of you peoples work!

as for the multiplayer, the only game i've seen is this http://archive.gp2x.de/cgi-bin/cfiles.cgi?0,0,0,0,25,1519 alizarin tetris, that claims multiplayer support with a pc. i haven't tried making it work, and i can't find the source, so even if it works, it'll probably be kinda useless..

As said above, thanks very much for this. I looked into tyrian on the PC but never really gave it a go, on the GP2X it does seem to come alive.

There seems to be a bug while navigating the menus. :(

On my F200, it seems when you quickly tap a D-pad button, the next button you press seems to just repeat the previous one. I need to press firmly in order to avoid this. Same goes for the X button, it just repeats the previous button press.

e.g. While in the In-game Menu, I quickly tap down twice to the Detail Level setting. I then press right to change it, but it moves down to the Game Speed setting instead.

I also have trouble in the Main Menu & Game Menu (not the In-game Menu). When navigating too quickly, the program seems to ignore the 2nd button press. So I either have to press slowly or keep on pressing, in order to move to the next item.

I hope this will be resolved (if this is indeed a bug). This is a really great game, I really like shooters. :D

(Oh yeah, the .gpe file that was included exits to the gmenu2x. Since I am not using gmenu2x, the program exits to a blank screen. I fixed it by editing the file, so it's not really an issue)

Manjuu said:
(Oh yeah, the .gpe file that was included exits to the gmenu2x. Since I am not using gmenu2x, the program exits to a blank screen. I fixed it by editing the file, so it's not really an issue)

Maybe we should provide the start scripts apart. Some for people using GMenu2x, some for people wanting ram tweaks, and some "standard" ones.

Kalimerou said:
Manjuu said:

Maybe we should provide the start scripts apart. Some for people using GMenu2x, some for people wanting ram tweaks, and some "standard" ones.
And another thing about the .gpe file. When you quit the program, it suppose to revert the RAM timings back to the default values (provided that cpu_speed.gpe is present), but the values it reverts to are different compared to my real default values, causing my F200 to crash.

The values in the .gpe file are:
./cpu_speed.gpe --cas 3 --trc 10 --tras 7 --twr 2 --tmrd 4 --trfc 4 --trp 15 --trcd 2

While my default values (using cpu_speed.gpe) are:
./cpu_speed.gpe --cas 2 --trc 8 --tras 16 --twr 3 --tmrd 8 --trfc 8 --trp 8 --trcd 8

Are the default values different for all GP2X?

(I edited the .gpe file to make it work properly, so both my complains about the .gpe file were already solved. I just thought that I should let someone know about it.)

Back