Release OpenTyrian in the repo

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't seem to find a save state that has the charge beam, but if I'm not mistaken doesn't that charge work if you stop firing and wait for the red charged indicator to come on?

Haven't tried that yet. If that's how it's intended won't that make it half-useless having to power down your main cannon in order to fire the secondary? Must be super powerful then o_O

I can't seem to find a save state that has the charge beam, but if I'm not mistaken doesn't that charge work if you stop firing and wait for the red charged indicator to come on?
yes the sides of the cannon start glowing when its charge is building.

Haven't tried that yet. If that's how it's intended won't that make it half-useless having to power down your main cannon in order to fire the secondary? Must be super powerful then o_O
yes it does make it kind of useless, no it isn't super powerful, for that you need the Zica Supercharger (basically the same thing but using long-dead alien's technology). Having to not fire your main weapon is kind of a problem but wasn't an issue in the earlier DOS version i think (as the main weapon and sidekicks could be fired independently) i did report this bug to trashy before way back in december of last year, i said this: 

"I Have noticed that any sidekicks that do not have an ammo count automatically fire when the normal forward weapon is fired, in most cases this is fine and is as it should be but with side weapons like Charge Cannons & Zica Supercharger this should not be the case as these weapons become more effective as they charge up when not fired. This seems to be quirk in your port of the game as i've noticed it doesnt occur in the DOS version, 2000 version, or the Old Pandora port of the game from several years ago. Wondering if you have any thoughts on this...."

i had a theory regarding this issue about it being related to the control map and hoped it would be solved by translating the Pandora button depressions for the main weapon and the sidekicks into mouse clicks rather than key depressions, but as i never use a traditional mouse i haven't been able to test this. I clearly remember that this wasn't an issue with the DOS version. However i did find the same issue present in the GOG version of Tyrian2000 on PC.

If the issue isn't with the control map then perhaps i would suggest giving the charge based weapons some kind of limitless ammo count that doesn't deplete as a workaround (because weapons with ammo don't fire when the main weapon does) but i'm not sure how at liberty Trashy is to alter the games coding.

Is it tyrian an easy shooter compared to others? I am a side scrolling shooter newb and suck at other games of that genre, but here I progress rapidly. Episode 4 now, almost maxed out, only like two or three levels gave me a hard time. I'm playing on normal with slow movement. Maybe I should go faster...
Play from the first episode onwards at normal speed, then things get more challenging. Also this game is meant to be completed many, many times as there are so many different branching secrets and different weapons set up's to choose from - aswell as secret codes for the title screen to unlock variations on "Arcade Mode".

Guessing you're trying Original Mode where you get to buy ship upgrades, the real challenge presents itself in Arcade Mode. 

The Sidekick firing "issue" Is present on both Pandora and when I compile it for the PC and I tried both mouse and key controls.. Looking through the bug issues on the git sources there seems to be a lot of mention of things not quite working the way they should compared to the original version and there seems to be some debate that some things worked this way for tyrian vs tyrian 2000..  The code is pretty convoluted and not sure how much time I can invest and track down quirks like that. I still need to check if that distortion on the "Ice Exit" level is a Pandora specific bug.    

Also some news I've done a bit of work enabling Comp4all support for the Single Player Arcade mode and once I'm given the go ahead  by Skeezix, I'll have that ready to go.. It will submit a score to the comp4all server when you finish a level.

Guessing you're trying Original Mode where you get to buy ship upgrades, the real challenge presents itself in Arcade Mode.

Also some news I've done a bit of work enabling Comp4all support for the Single Player Arcade mode and once I'm given the go ahead  by Skeezix, I'll have that ready to go.. It will submit a score to the comp4all server when you finish a level.
Two good reasons to try Arcade mode, thanks guys!

I like the non arcade mode better.

With highest difficulty level it's hard enough for me.

I don't like playing to get a score.

Being able to buy stuff is what I want.

That's why I like this game.

For now it's just going to be enabled in arcade mode, this is just because currently there is no difficulty or game modes in C4ALL at the moment.. Skeezix plans on changing that.. so far opentyrian is complicated enough to setup for C4all since the game is split in 4 unique episodes..

Once those features are put into the c4all I will implement a scoring system for story mode, I may need to make something myself since your score is also the cash you use to buy things and could complicate high scores.

Great News!

Will i be able to submit scores for the different episodes individually?

As C4all has no difficulty or game modes at the moment does this mean that only scores for the normal difficulty of arcade will be submittable as you still have to select a difficulty at the beginning of arcade? - would you somehow disable the other difficulty settings or would people be on their honour to be truthful about the difficulty level selected when submitting the score?

Surely implementing story mode in C4all would be a little strange because a player could play through an Episode then wait to the last level of that episode and remove all their weaponry, just dodging bullets for the last level and therefore massively inflating thier score by gaining all their previously spent credits back. Correct me if i'm wrong but this would mean the difficulty curve would be far less than arcade mode (due to being able to purchase better equipment) and the scores would be potentially much higher (due to the possibility of greater firepower being used in the majority of the episode.)

And of course in either mode players could vary the gamespeed during the levels themselves by entering the option screen, in order to make bullets easier to dodge.

Perhaps you could get around these issues by somehow only implementing C4All scores for the "secret code word" ships on the title-screen as, if i remember correctly, the game dumps you straight into arcade mode (with one of the prototype ships - varying dependent on the codeword) without giving you a difficulty selection. However my memeory isnt as good as it used to be - just an idea to limit the potential for cheating.

EDIT: Memory fail just tested one of the "secret code words" it turns out even when using one of the prototypes you can still select difficulty level.

Just so you dont get the wrong idea about this post, i'd love to be able to play this in C4all in some way but i cant ignore the high potential for cheating in various ways. I hope theres either some way around at least some of these issues or at least that people are honest when submitting scores

In the repo now.. This assumes you have a profile setup via Comp4All MAME or the future standalone Comp4all profile manager.

*Update 2013-04-17:
Comp4all Support added, there is a comp4all executable along with the regular version.

-This feature only works on 1 Player Arcade mode at the moment.

- Score will Submit at the end of each Level completed

- Score will scale on Difficulty selected. using a multiplier ( Easy = 1, Normal = 1.5 and Hard = 2) 

- It will show the comp4all score and if it successfully submitted the score to the server all from the game's end of level summary.

I still need to look into the other issues.. but will get to it.

For now it's just going to be enabled in arcade mode, this is just because currently there is no difficulty or game modes in C4ALL at the moment.. Skeezix plans on changing that.. so far opentyrian is complicated enough to setup for C4all since the game is split in 4 unique episodes..

Once those features are put into the c4all I will implement a scoring system for story mode, I may need to make something myself since your score is also the cash you use to buy things and could complicate high scores.
Of course c4all makes much more sense in arcade mode.

I simply like the aspect of the game of upgrades you may buy.

I think to remember that the DS port of OpenTyrian also suffered from the supercharger problem (but I wasn't aware it was a problem...)

Cant wait to try the C4All version! But i wont be able to submit scores until Profile Manager comes out as i dont have Comp4AllMame (as i dont use MAME 0.106 roms).

Cant wait to try the C4All version! But i wont be able to submit scores until Profile Manager comes out as i dont have Comp4AllMame (as i dont use MAME 0.106 roms).
You don't need to run MAME.. when you fire it up, the profile options are right there; you dont' need to go into the actual mame games ;)

I will get the standalone profile manager out soon, however.. within days; maybe tonight, maybe tomorrow, but soon.

jeff

It's a bit spammy in the "Recent activity" on the c4a website, because one play through an episode will upload many scores. But maybe that can be filtered on the website, no need to change the client.

It's a bit spammy in the "Recent activity" on the c4a website, because one play through an episode will upload many scores. But maybe that can be filtered on the website, no need to change the client.
I was going to inquire if they could filter that out.. like only show the highest score within the last hour or so.. It pushing the score after each end of level was the best method I could think of.. I was considering having it write the score to a temp file and uploading it later, but that could be abused easily.

Back