Release OpenTyrian in the repo

How does one add a game to C4A? For instance, I would like to add Spout and possibly CromoZome to C4A if the work involved is not too arduous.

Edit: Thanks Trashy, doesn't seem too bad, missed the original post by Skeezix!

Last edited by a moderator:
Skeezix programmed an easy client for pushing up a score to c4all. Info here . It sounds like you can do it with curl and some JSON code too.. but that seemed to much work. You will need to talk to Skeezix when you have a client ready and he will set it up on the server, Milkshake handles the c4a webpage page.

For OpenTyrian, I've added code that would run a command line call to  run that client to push the current score on level completion, If it passed or failed would change the message on the end of level summary.. I wanted it integrated into the game and not something you would have to run separately outside the game.

Some C code in opentyrian that I threw together...

//TOP OF C code..
#ifdef PANDORA_C4ALL
char c4all_command[50]; //RGG Pandora Comp4all
int c4_all_ret = 0;
#endif

//This is code in the end of level section..
#ifdef PANDORA_C4ALL
//OpenPandora Comp4ALL Support - Roy Gillotti
if (onePlayerAction) {

sprintf(c4all_command, "./sc so push opentyrian_ep_%d pandora %lu >/dev/null 2>&1",episodeNum,player[0].cash);
//printf("c4all - Episode: %d - Score: %lu\n",episodeNum,player[0].cash);
c4_all_ret = WEXITSTATUS(system(c4all_command)); //This gets the return code from the spaghetti client..
//printf("sc exitstatus: %d\n", c4_all_ret);
//shows in game if it failed to update the score or not.
if (c4_all_ret != 0) {
JE_outTextGlow(VGAScreenSeg, 30, 90, "Comp4All Submit Failed");
} else {
JE_outTextGlow(VGAScreenSeg, 30, 90, "Comp4All Score Submitted");
}

}//RGG
#endif

Re-posting this for visibility as it's now on the previous page.. I was hoping to have some opinions on this change to the c4all version.

I need a few opinions on my next comp4all release.. I have an experimental build that will allow you to carry your score/weapons to the next episode.. It will force you to start at episode 1 and continue on to the next episode in order.. this way I can eliminate having 4 episodes on the c4all server.

So once you finish the game(complete all episodes), should I have the score/weapons reset? or should I allow you to go through the episodes again with what weapons and score you have and do another play through? Currently by default it's the latter. I still need to find a proper way of resetting the game if we want the former. 

I've also disabled some cheats that I missed, I hope this didn't inflate any scores.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think it's a bad thing to have 4 episodes on the c4all server - what is needed is mostly a way to better filter all the "games" so in terms of presentation things look better (e.g. one general "OpenTyrian" entry, and only if you "zoom in" on it you see that it consists of four episodes). Super Hexagon has no less than 6 entries, Duke Nukem has 3, and maybe at some point I'll want to add extra entries for Microbes for the user-contributed level packs. We'll need some kind of structure in the game list on the c4a website anyway.

Carrying over stuff to the next episode is nice, but it basically forces you to have a very long game session to get a good score. So maybe it would be best to keep the 4 separate episodes that end at the end of the episode like it is now, and add an extra fifth game mode ("episodes 1-4") that starts with episode 1 and lets you play all the way to the end of episode 4. And maybe a sixth game mode ("never-ending") that lets you continue even after that.

Only issue I've had with separate episodes is that the base weapons are too weak for some episodes.. the game seems to be designed to carry them over.. I've tried to upgrade the weapons on higher episodes, but it's quirky for sure... I may take another stab at it..

I've been considering a grouping attribute that the frontends could honour if they wish to.

ie: A grouping field coudl say 'opentyrian' for all 4 episodes; the frontends could show all 4 separately as they do now, or they could nest it - show a single 'group' entry, and then when picked nest into and show the 4 individual entries. Sort of how 'genre' could be handled, etc. Like 'tagging'.

The frontends are just not there yet, but we've certainly had the idea.

jeff

Thanks a lot... on my side unfortunately I didn't progressed further... receiving a pandora didn't helped me on that front... I should stop using the pandora and continue devloping that... in it's current state I'm still not happy with open tyrian, some of the few things I'd like to add would be:

• reducing the oportunity to save. (maybe chain 3 levels without going back to the menu?)
  • manage "offline" play, saving results and pushing them to the server later on demand.
  • fetch online high score and display them.

well, lots of little details as you can see... and no progress yet... I'll try to find the time to continue working on that.

Back