Release OpenTyrian in the repo

been doing some experimentation regarding charge weapons auto-firing with the forward gun, i believe it to be an issue with keyboard controls. I'm not sure if its possible but if you could make the pandora buttons register as mouse-clicks instead of key depressions I'm almost certain this would rectify the issue. Will the PND detect a USB mouse? If so i can test this theory.
Sorry Work has beat me up lately and haven't had time to follow up on this.. Yes a USB mouse should register, I'm just setting the nubs to joystick mode on start up.. I may have time to try this out this week.. If your theory is correct I could find some work around easily enough.

This is one of my favourite games from my childhood. I found that GOG has Tyrian2000 for download, they seem to use dosbox as a front end to run it. Would that be a viable alternative to getting Tyrian2k running on Pandora?

This is one of my favourite games from my childhood. I found that GOG has Tyrian2000 for download, they seem to use dosbox as a front end to run it. Would that be a viable alternative to getting Tyrian2k running on Pandora?
Yes, as this is how I play tyrian2k.  I'm not that good at it though so I can't say how well the control work for it though.  seems fine to me.

I have another bug report for you Trashy, when playing "Arcade" mode from the very beginning and finishing Episode 1 i got into the second Episode and up to planet Gyges (the primative version with all the wierd critters) and after defeating The Great Stomach (boss with the round mouth and side tentacles) the game crashes back to the mini- menu suddenly. id like to stress this only happens in arcade mode not "original" mode, however it seems to happen repeatedly. Having said this i havent tested it that often as you cant really save in arcade mode

odd, I will need to look into it, there are some new sources out there.

New on the repo:

*Update 2013-04-03: Rolled in changes from current git sources, compiled against recent changes in Notaz's SDL. Unicode issues seem to be fixed without hacking. Hopefully it fixes some of the reported issues with weapons. Also there is possible Tyrian 2000 support according to the git change log.. don't have the data files to try it out.

Sorry if anyone download the PND I had earlier today, after getting home and trying it out on my Rebirth and CC units.. I found my build wasn't optimized and laggy running at 600mhz.. it should  be fixed now.

I have Tyrian 2000.  Any documentation on using them?  Where do I put them?  I tried creating data in opentyrian.trashymg and copied files but it crashes.

Yeah, I'm not sure.. their wiki and the rest of the page mentions nothing of Tyrian 2000... but they're putting in hooks for tyrian2000 from what i'm seeing in the source change logs.. 

Yeah, I'm not sure.. their wiki and the rest of the page mentions nothing of Tyrian 2000... but they're putting in hooks for tyrian2000 from what i'm seeing in the source change logs..
Seems a viable assumption, looking at the diffs, most of it is adjusting to a variable episode/level count, but looking into episodes.c they are repositioning the cursor in the resource file. According to the code "tyrian.hdt" contains the definition for the episodelist. But I do not know what else is needed - I'll just copy the complete install directory into the appdata path and see what happens

Do you have a clue where exactly to put it ? Looking in your pnd all game relevant data seems to be in the data directory => would the files go in theory into /pandora/appdata/opentyrian_trashymg/data or /pandora/appdata/opentyrian_trashymg/.opentyrian/data. Can't test for myself right now <_<

All the save data ends up in a .opentyrian directory.. I'm wondering if it needs to end up there.  I just noticed this morning that I have tyrian 2000 free in my GOG list.. so looks like I'll be fooling around with it myself.

I noticed a shell script in the source code that lower cases anything in the data directory.. might be something to try..

Contents of lower-script.sh:

Code:
if [[ $1 ]]; then
	target=$1
else
	target="./data"
fi

read -p "Lowercase all files in $target directory? [y/N] " confirm

if [[ `echo $confirm | tr '[:upper:]' '[:lower:]'` == 'y' ]]; then
	for f in $target/*; do
		g=`basename "$f" | tr '[:upper:]' '[:lower:]'`
		mv -fv "$f" "$target/$g" 2> /dev/null
	done
fi

Last edited by a moderator:
Ah, there are pre-processor flags, I'll have to compile it specifically with those flags set, so I will need two binaries.. will have to test it and I'm not sure how complete tyrian 2k support is yet.. it may be buggy.

So I got it compiled with Tyrian2000 Flags set.. It launches plays fine with the Tyrian 2000 data files until I click on episode 5 and it will segfault...

Edit: I hopped on the opentyrian IRC channel, looks like the Tyrian 2000 support is preliminary.. not functional yet.  Sorry to give you guys false hope.. but people are working on it..

Thanks TrashyMG, awesome news just the same!  Its not really a prob as I play Tyrian 2000 fine in doxbox anyway, just thought it would be nice to test native port.  Thanks for doing that.

its a shame that the version of Tyrian2000 on GOG comes with the "wrong" music, i just cant get used to it

I just have to say I love this game. Had it since the beginning. ;)

The level "ICE EXIT" has a graphical glitch, the background doesn't display properly.

20130415_001.jpg

The level "ICE EXIT" has a graphical glitch, the background doesn't display properly.
Are you sure that isn't just the ice?

Well could be a bug, but I need to figure out how to skip levels to debug this.

I'm pushing a new version of the code with C4All support.. I might be able to check it out before I push this version up.

Yes I'm sure that's not the way it's meant to look, Enemy shots (snowballs) are near invisible and the background moves constantly. Try the attached savefile, first savegame, last level is called "?TUNNEL?" - which reads kind of wrong, too.

All in all this runs a whole lot better than that old version from the "appstore" and is heaps of fun. Thanks a lot!

Edit: The charge beam doesn't charge, but fires away constantly.

Edit2: Is it tyrian an easy shooter compared to others? I am a side scrolling shooter newb and suck at other games of that genre, but here I progress rapidly. Episode 4 now, almost maxed out, only like two or three levels gave me a hard time. I'm playing on normal with slow movement. Maybe I should go faster...

Edit3: We need Powermanga on the repo!

tyrian.zip

Attachments

• tyrian.zip
    2 KB · Views: 144
Yes I'm sure that's not the way it's meant to look, Enemy shots (snowballs) are near invisible and the background moves constantly. Try the attached savefile, first savegame, last level is called "?TUNNEL?" - which reads kind of wrong, too.

All in all this runs a whole lot better than that old version from the "appstore" and is heaps of fun. Thanks a lot!

Edit: The charge beam doesn't charge, but fires away constantly.

Edit2: Is it tyrian an easy shooter compared to others? I am a side scrolling shooter newb and suck at other games of that genre, but here I progress rapidly. Episode 4 now, almost maxed out, only like two or three levels gave me a hard time. I'm playing on normal with slow movement. Maybe I should go faster...

Edit3: We need Powermanga on the repo!
Okay thanks for the save state, even with cheats I can't seem to hit that level... it must need to be unlocked?

I will test the charge beam and the level issue with the same source code compiled on PC vs Pandora and see how it behaves..

Back