Opkg Upgrade

HackModford

I never completed doing an upgrade with opkg
But what can it hurt? I've got my Pandora set up nice now and don't really want to reflash anymore...

you shouldn't do it 'for the sake of it'. The repository that the Pandora is connected to is the Angstrom repository and not a specialized one for the Pandora.

As you say, you've got it set up quite nice now. If it aint broke....

I always fix stuff if it aint broken :D (Edit: It is broke actually... sound is horrible)

I guess more to the point... what packages have been hacked and if upgraded will break? I half did an update and didn't experience any problems (thus far)

I just install them manually. Haven't had an issues that way.

Plus, if you have to flash the nand, you have all the .ipkg packages sitting on your SD already.

My only intention for the use of the Angstrom repo is to use it to get developer tools onboard, but I will really try to avoid installing stuff from it unless necessary .. I really wish we had our own repo based on the Firmware releases itself, instead of 'borrowing' stuff from Angstrom ..

I did it once, without realizing just how much it was going to upgrade... I let it go for 4 hours or so before just stopping and reflashing. If anyone leaves it on long enough to complete, I'd like to hear how it turns out :) I'm an update freak on my desktop, so resisting the urge to upgrade my Pandy is pretty hard.

With each OS revision, our snapshot will probably creep closer to being 'current'. I'm sure the Zaxxon packages have been frozen for a looong time to reduce the chance of random crashy funtime.

torpor said:
My only intention for the use of the Angstrom repo is to use it to get developer tools onboard, but I will really try to avoid installing stuff from it unless necessary .. I really wish we had our own repo based on the Firmware releases itself, instead of 'borrowing' stuff from Angstrom ..

That's the plan ;)

Last edited:
EvilDragon said:
torpor said:

That's the plan ;)

When I get my sd-card, probably today.
I'm so going to try and run archmobile (arch for ARM)
I suppose stuff like kayboard won't work, probably not touchscreen either.
So I'll use USB stuff :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Did anyone try the neuvoo project yet? Does gentoo even make sense on a device like the Pandora? (I wouldn't compile software on the device but on my desktop machine.)

Trying out archmobile right now...

it boots, but i cant login!
default is supposed to be root/root, but no worky...

opened fs on my desktop and added autologin
but cant access wifi :] halp

fahrstuhl said:
Did anyone try the neuvoo project yet? Does gentoo even make sense on a device like the Pandora? (I wouldn't compile software on the device but on my desktop machine.)
I was told they plan a release soon!

DJWillis was who told me that opkg upgrade is not a good idea. Iirc because there are things modified and optimised for the Pandora which upgrades might overwrite/break.

archmobile, wow. That's what I am looking forward to.

Spirit said:
fahrstuhl said:
I was told they plan a release soon!

DJWillis was who told me that opkg upgrade is not a good idea. Iirc because there are things modified and optimised for the Pandora which upgrades might overwrite/break.

archmobile, wow. That's what I am looking forward to.

haha, yeah me too, they arent very up to date though, and i cant seem to get anything running since i have no network available from boot = no pacman xD

fahrstuhl said:

By default our image is set up for downloading binaries just as you would with a lot of the other Linux distros, however since it is Gentoo you can still compile your own. You can see what we have compiled so far here: http://neuvoo.org/neuvoo/packages/armv7a/0.3.0/official/ I haven't added to it in a week or two since we are finilizing our newest image, but packages can be compiled fairly quickly.

We also have HOWTOs on setting up distcc/icecream along with a cross-compiling environment, we really would like you to decide what you want and we will help you get there. Right now we are using the bug tracker for our planning, but at some point I'll probably add a "I want software XXXX" button on the webpage which will then automatically compile that software and put it in the binrepo.

sinoth said:
I did it once, without realizing just how much it was going to upgrade... I let it go for 4 hours or so before just stopping and reflashing. If anyone leaves it on long enough to complete, I'd like to hear how it turns out :)

I was attempting to install the dev packages, SDL, GL, etc. It wouldn't install libsdl-mixer-1.2-dev, I got "Not downgrading package libsdl-mixer-1.2-0 on root from 1.2.11-r4.5 to 1.2.11-r2.5.". I guess OP has created a newer package r4.5 (where the "unstable" repo has r2.5). It would be nice if there was a "-dev" package supplied by OP somewhere. In frustration I issued "opkg upgrade" it did a LOT of updates, but stopped partway through with a "Segmentation Fault", that can't be good :unsure:

Anyway I rebooted to find not much had changed, the only obvious thing was my battery level dropped from 98% to 68%, I guess power management has been affected. I needed to learn how to re-flash this thing sooner or later anyway. :p

If anyone has feedback on loading libsdl-mixer-1.2-dev, I'd love to hear what people have done. I know some have forced the install. I'm not sure that it the best/right thing to do. Or is there an OP package of the -dev ?

I guess OP has created a newer package r4.5 (where the "unstable" repo has r2.5). It would be nice if there was a "-dev" package supplied by OP somewhere. In frustration I issued "opkg upgrade" it did a LOT of updates, but stopped partway through with a "Segmentation Fault", that can't be good

Ouch, not good. If I was you I'd re-flash the NAND back to factory level, get the Hotfix packs installed again and then just wait a day or two, because I have heard that the official, non-Angstrom, repo is coming, and we can reliably use it to do these package installs. DJWillis is working on it, and afaik, all he needs to do is get the repo online and add some of the custom tweaks/hacks to real bitbake recipes that can inject into the feed from his end of things .. not a lot of work, but still some things that need to be really clean so that things can progressively go forward with the real, OP-hosted, repo.

Perhaps if you get a bit involved on IRC you can participate in beta testing it ..

If anyone has feedback on loading libsdl-mixer-1.2-dev, I'd love to hear what people have done. I know some have forced the install. I'm not sure that it the best/right thing to do. Or is there an OP package of the -dev ?

I forced the downgrade myself, and don't have any problems - its just the headers and documentation in the -dev package, it shouldn't have any effect on the runtime. To see whats in a package, and gauge what effect it may have on your system in the future, use the command "opkg files <somepackagename>" .. this will show you the contents of the package and you can determine yourself if there will be consequences.

viridior said:
We also have HOWTOs on setting up distcc/icecream along with a cross-compiling environment, we really would like you to decide what you want and we will help you get there. Right now we are using the bug tracker for our planning, but at some point I'll probably add a "I want software XXXX" button on the webpage which will then automatically compile that software and put it in the binrepo.

I've looked at Nuevoo a couple times .. one question I keep asking myself is whether you are able to use the Nuevoo system to build 100% factory-OS compatible apps .. i.e. can you easily run the released software, and can you build bins that will run on non-Nuevoo (factory OS) systems? Its never really clear to me if the Nuevoo project has that as a principle goal ..

torpor said:
viridior said:

I've looked at Nuevoo a couple times .. one question I keep asking myself is whether you are able to use the Nuevoo system to build 100% factory-OS compatible apps .. i.e. can you easily run the released software, and can you build bins that will run on non-Nuevoo (factory OS) systems? Its never really clear to me if the Nuevoo project has that as a principle goal ..

Thats partially because I don't know yet, we were not part of the Pandora OS dev team. In general it appears that we are all using similiar toolchains, so therefore I would say "yes", but I just don't know yet since I have yet to play with the factory-OS.

Our goal was to provide a more modular OS alternative that would fit the user's needs. Therefore we created HOWTOs and Guides which documented our steps in Neuvoo image creation. Anyone can recreate our steps and take a different path. So if we are not compatible with the factory-OS images then it will be fairly easy for us to go back and make it so. By default we are using the armv7a-unknown-linux-gnueabi toolchain (gcc-4.3.x, glibc-2.10, binutils-2.20, linux-kernel-headers-2.6.26).

Back