Optimal Qemu setup for StarCraft?

As said, just look into the autoexec.bat or config.sys to see what letter the driver maps it to or pay attention on bootup. :)

In the two files mentioned above search for smartdrv.exe and comment or delete that line. Also make sure you have at least ados 6.22 bootdisk.

That is described in he wiki.

Sys c:

Or if it is on your bootdisk, use fdisk.

Last edited by a moderator:
*cries quetly in a corner*

I had to download WinImage to open up Windows95b.img to open up the boot floppy to look for autoexec.bat and config.sys

This is all there is inside autoexec.bat:

@echo off

MSCDEX.EXE /D:banana /L:R

This is all that's inside config.sys:

DEVICE=HIMEM.SYS /testmem:eek:ff

FILES=30

BUFFERS=20

DEVICE=cd1.SYS /D:banana

rem DEVICE=cd1.SYS /D:banana /P:1f0,14

rem DEVICE=cd1.SYS /D:banana /P:170,15

rem DEVICE=cd1.SYS /D:banana /P:170,10

rem DEVICE=cd1.SYS /D:banana /P:1e8,12

rem DEVICE=cd1.SYS /D:banana /P:1e8,11

rem DEVICE=cd1.SYS /D:banana /P:168,10

rem DEVICE=cd1.SYS /D:banana /P:168,9

LASTDRIVE=Z

So how do I do this?:

In the two files mentioned above search for smartdrv.exe and comment or delete that line. Also make sure you have at least ados 6.22 bootdisk.

I haven't been able to find an ados 6.22 bootdisk that isn't a .exe file that wants me to use a floppy drive to make the bootdisk. !!!!!!!! *arg*

I used fdisk...

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Trying to run setup after this I get the same errors.

Everything looks good, in the config.sys and autoexec...

if this is successful it should of enabled the D: drive and allow you to run the windows setup from the D: drive.

mcobit made a typo.. there isn't anything called ados.. he meant a DOS 6.22 image.

FDISK only makes the partition, which it's saying is already made.. you will need to format the C: drive.. at the command line try this..

Code:
FORMAT C: /S

However if the CD bootup is missing the format command, the Windows setup should be able to handle this if you got the CD-ROM working.

I don't think you need a boot disk if you can boot from the CD like this..

I needed a lot of re-education of DOS myself when setting up QEMU.

Ok I finally got windows 95 installed using the alternative method.

I updated the Cirrus driver so I now have 24bit color.

I also changed the PLUG&PLAY BIOS MANUALY TO PCI-BUS and it detected a whole bunch of hardware and went through a number of restarts.

But I have no sound? I downloaded the better driver listed on the wiki:

I changed the driver but it seemed to make no difference, so I formatted the drive and started again. I would just like some input before I try changing the sound driver again.

Ok.

Edit: i could be wrong, but do you need the dossoundblaster drivers with early win95 versions?

You seeto have a win95a disk here.

Ok.

Edit: i could be wrong, but do you need the dossoundblaster drivers with early win95 versions?

You seeto have a win95a disk here.

It must be win95a because the win95b bootdisk was giving me hassles... So I have to get a dos soundblaster driver then? Any idea where I can look for that?

Also, I installed StarCraft + Broodwar on my desktop then turned the install folder into an .iso so I could load it in the Qemu cd drive and then copy the folder into the C: drive on my win95 image.

However, it looks like I need some version of DirectX to run the game. Which one and where can I get it?

Well directx6 installed easily and StarCraft ran fine.

I downloaded loads of different Sound Blaster drivers and none worked... so just for neatness sake I changed the drivers back to the ones listed on the wiki.

As I really didn't know what else to do I decided to copy my win95 image onto the class 4 8Gb MicroSD card I had prepared for Qemu to see if StarCraft would at least run.

..... And what do you know? On my Pandora the sound works perfectly!!! :wub: :eek: :lol:

So I set OPP 5 and clocked up to 1000Mhz.

In game I disabled unit portrait animations, color cycling and put the game speed up to maximum... And it's quite playable!

Sound crackles just a little bit, but it's tolerable.

Gameplay isn't entirely smooth though... there are slight pauses quite regularly... Is this because I'm running off a class 4 MicroSd Card instead of a USB stick as has been recommended?

Are there other ways I can improve performace? - I.e. edit config files to decrease sound quality or the amount of sounds that can be played simultaneously?

And is there any way to set the resolution to the Pandora's 800x480?

If I enabled swap would that make any difference?

EDIT: StarCraft looks *amazing* on the Pandora's tiny screen... what a thrill.

Windows on my Pandora... how amazingly awesome is that. B)

You cannot increase the resolution, as the windowsdrivers can't handle 800x480. Even then Starcraft was never meant to be run at that res and there would have to be a widescreenmod of some sort like with baldurs gate to make it work. The loadingstutter (I think you get it when there are conversations approaching) can indeed be a problem with low sdspeed. i would recommend to try to run it from usb or faster sdcard. But there seems to be a, io problem with qemu in general.

Edit: Btw I didn't get your soundproblem at first as I didn't know that you didn't get sound in qemu manager. i thought the sound was missing on Pandora...

Congratz :)

Maybe your Sound work better when you start in windows95 the Programm DXDIAG.EXE and Disable Sound Hardware Acceleration in it.

That helped me a lot with Sound Problems ;)

Before Qemu starts can you add the following additional parameters?

Code:
-no-acpi -no-hpet -ballon none

That can give little Speedups.

I dont recommend SD Cards,i have here Qemu on a 2,5" 64GB SSD over USB on the Pandora :rolleyes:

When you install the PCI Stuff from the Pandora Qemu Wiki is it possible to enable DMA Mode on your Virtual Harddisk in Windows95,

then loading Times goes many faster,but DMA work only when no Floppy or Iso is mounted.

Or Simply use the good old Tuneup97 to disable somethings in your Windows that you dont need.

Maybe Tweakui can help to optimize your Windows.

^_^

Happy trying

Congratz :)

Maybe your Sound work better when you start in windows95 the Programm DXDIAG.EXE and Disable Sound Hardware Acceleration in it.

That helped me a lot with Sound Problems ;)

Code:

That can give little Speedups.

I dont recommend SD Cards,i have here Qemu on a 2,5" 64GB SSD over USB on the Pandora :rolleyes:

When you install the PCI Stuff from the Pandora Qemu Wiki is it possible to enable DMA Mode on your Virtual Harddisk in Windows95,

then loading Times goes many faster,but DMA work only when no Floppy or Iso is mounted.

Or Simply use the good old Tuneup97 to disable somethings in your Windows that you dont need.

Maybe Tweakui can help to optimize your Windows.

^_^

Happy trying

For some reason there was no dxdiag.exe in my win95 install... I had to download it.

However, I see nowhere I can Disable Sound Hardware Acceleration:

dxdiag.jpg

dxdiag2.jpg

How do I enable DMA Mode?

I was unable to find anywhere I could get Tuneup97...

Managed to install TweakUI but it didn't look like there were any options to improve performance.

Managed to install Rain. :)

And how exactly do I:

and how do I Putt Adlib off?

Dxdiag is part of later directx versions and may not work with the early dx6 you have installed.

DMA Mode for harddrives can be enabled by opening the hardwaremanager and right clicking the first ide controller. The select properties and search around a bit. Should be somewhere in a tab.

Back