Optional 3G/UMTS module

Why are we discussing this? If a normal 1/8 headphone will work, who cares if it is apple or not? Why would you hook up headphones with microphone to a Pyra?
They want to use a headset so they can use it as a phone. Or for VoIP. Also, the problem is that headsets that meet TRRS standard would not work w/ a headset jack that follows the apple method, and vice versa.

-God Ginrai

Last edited by a moderator:
Why are we discussing this? If a normal 1/8 headphone will work, who cares if it is apple or not? Why would you hook up headphones with microphone to a Pyra?
They want to use a headset so they can use it as a phone. Or for VoIP. Also, the problem is that headsets that meet TRRS standard would not work w/ a headset jack that follows the apple method, and vice versa.

-God Ginrai
And it -might- add $0.50 to $2 to the price of the Pyra to have a physical or GPIO run switch so that we could use either type.

-God Ginrai
And it -might- add $0.50 to $2 to the price of the Pyra to have a physical or GPIO run switch so that we could use either type.
Sure, the price is important to me, but more important is the durability. There is no point in adding a new point of failure when you can put that point of failure into a cheap adaptor that only those who need it can take thar risk. And then let's say the adaptor fails, it is inexpensive to replace. However, let's say my headset port fails. Now I am wasting time and money for shipping and repair to get my headset port fixed all because of a point of failure that exists in the device only to make things easier for those who have apple compatible headsets.

-God Ginrai

-God Ginrai
Sure, the price is important to me, but more important is the durability. There is no point in adding a new point of failure when you can put that point of failure into a cheap adaptor that only those who need it can take thar risk. And then let's say the adaptor fails, it is inexpensive to replace. However, let's say my headset port fails. Now I am wasting time and money for shipping and repair to get my headset port fixed all because of a point of failure that exists in the device only to make things easier for those who have apple compatible headsets.

-God Ginrai
You need to keep in mind that the Pyra is also a phone - a phone only usable through that port.

Now, please find me current high end name brand headphones with microphone for phone call use that are NOT Apple.

Sennheiser - All Apple way.

Beats - All Apple way.

Phiaton - All Apple way.

Bose - All Apple way.

If anything, having the switch is for YOU to be able to use the hypothetical non-Apple headphones. The reality is that the 'normal' or 'default' use case for headphones with microphones with the Pyra WILL be the Apple 'standard' - much as I hate having to say it.

So, please find your use example?

You need to keep in mind that the Pyra is also a phone - a phone only usable through that port.
No, you must realize, that the Pyra is not a phone. It has been stated that it may have the capability to perform as one.

Beats - All Apple way.
Beats may be name brand, but it certainly isn't high end.

I can't comment on whether the brands you mentioned use the apple way or not. But I can say that my Astro A40s and my a*star headsets all use the original standard.

-God Ginrai

This is the most disturbing leap of logic I've ever seen. I thought it would fit, otherwise I wouldn't have suggested it.
Yeah and it was repeatedly said that it just won't fit unless one of the major design goals "don't make it thicker than the Pandora" would be scraped. So if my "leap of logic" is so disturbing, please help me out and tell me an alternative conclusion. Maybe it so obvious that I just don't see it.
Just because I just said I made it on the assumption that it would not be mechanically problematic does not mean I admit it is. No one provided any solid proof in that topic that it would be mechanically problematic. And the reason I kept mentioning it is due to that.
Leaving aside the fact that this would give use only a 2mm (probably less) "win" in terms of height (so it still won't fit), I havent't found a receptable that lets you mount the USB port sideways (I don't had the time to do an extensive search, so I may be wrong here), so we would have to come up with a custom solution, that needs again time, money and a big leap of faith that it will work.All for your quest against the "unrealiable Micro-B-USB" port we probably won't use anyway - USB3 version it is (I guess).

By that reasoning, anything intended to fit onto a PCB is flimsy.
Ah, my bad, I'm sorry. I forgot one point:Accessible by the user, but not used very often - e.g. While both, an SD-Card slot an a sim/M-SDCard slot fit both previously mentioned categories the number of uses (=> insert, eject and open,close) will differ a lot.

Oh gee, durability. IIRC, that was the reason I supported USB-B, too. It seems like there is a theme. You once again miss the point that my comments in both topics are supporting making a handheld that lasts.
No, the point is that you scale your own priorties up or down depending on how it fits your arguments in a particular case. Or wouldn't you agree that an eMMC soldered onboard is less likely to break than something a user can physically access (and maybe even misuse): a mSD-Slot ? So durability plays only a secondary role in that particular case, as you weight the benefits that come with a removeable internal memory heavier. Which is totally fine, just do not pretend you have an overall agenda called durability that you follow tightly.Same here for me: If its cheap, why not give potential users the comfort of using audio hardware they already have without the need of an extra adapter ? If not skip it.

Well, I would assume that an organization that includes all the major players and even some smaller ones is comprehensive enough to define standards. I'm not quite sure why you would think otherwise.
Wouldn't that hinder innovation, if every company that enters the market has to accept the standards, the previous associations that rule the market have already set ? And what about stalemate situations like HDDVD vs BluRay or USB vs. "Firewire". Or invert the situation: if a big association where most of the big player on the market participate say "lets scrap ISO standard XYZ" wouldn't that be bad too ?
No I'm not. You asked if the ultimate goal was to change the industry. I answered "No". Then I pointed out that what my ultimate goal was: a device that won't have hardware problems. You are only claiming I am evading the question because my answer is not the one you assumed.
 Maybe I did not phrase my question right, I was reffering to (or tried to) two of your statements:

"It's still not worth it to support functionality that conflicts with standard. Arguments like that are the reason I can't use my HID-compliant controller with over half the games that have come out for Windows over the past 3 years."

and specifically:

"This isn't accepting a standard. This is offering a compromise for your users without accepting that crap as standard."

No, the next "innovation" is always around the corner. Something doesn't become a standard until it is agreed upon and widely used. HD DVD and Blurary were both "around the corner" when the 360 and PS3 were about to come out, but neither were a standard until Bluray beat HD DVD and all the companies began to adopt it.
Are there really so much innovations out there ? Most look more like improvements of previous ideas to me. But anway - How many standards to connect devices internally to a computer can you remember (ISA, EISA, VLB, PCI, PCI Express + various iterations of it) ? Or to connect mass storage devices internally (PATA, SCSI, SATA) ? Or competing standards to connect peripherals (PS/2, RS-232, RS-485, RS-*insert random number here*,Parell ports, USB, Firewire, Thunderbolt, the custom thing Lenovo is trying to push currently,etc.) ? Or how to connect displays internally (LVDS, MIPI and this are only high level) or externally (VGA, DVI, HDMI, DP) ?And this list goes on forever. Sure a part of the examples I gave were initially ment to replace its predecessor, but for several reasons that did not work out as intended, leaving them competing against their successors.

But the the key words here are: "agreed upon" and "widely used" both seem to be valid for the "crap standard" too, the only difference I see is that the OMTP one entered the market earlier.

Or do we have to wait long enough and the see wether the other "standard" gets the upper hand by that elevating itself from beeing a "crap" to beeing a "not crap" standard ?

I did say that. Just because not everyone has adopted that does not mean that Apple does not have power. Hell, if they didn't have power enough to cause some companies to convert, we wouldn't even be having this argument right now.
Fair point
It is rated to 5,000 insertion cycles, rated to MIL and EIA standards and can sustain a 50G shock load.
Don't know that much about EIA, but as far as I know, they are responsible for "signaling standards" (like voltage and timing levels) and not for durability standards, so I don't think that it is interesting in the discussion at hand - correct me if you know more about it.MIL specs cover working conditions, like shock, temperature, humdity, vibrations and such, which is nice if you want to take your Pyra with you on your next tour to the southpole or you if you like to play some Crazy taxi while you are driving to the grocery store in your brand new tank.

But I'm thinking more of the average "LIU" (least intelligent user, don't know the proper translation for "DAU") pushing things to hard, inserting things not the correct way, etc. With a rather "fragile" construction like the component you found more prone to break than a audio jack witha switch in it, in my opinion.

As an Example: beeing a regular visitor of the support section and helping out Ed in the support ticket system for quite some time now, I have the (maybe biased) impression that the audio receptable of the Pandora (which already contains a switch) is something that rarely breaks so I don't see such a big problem in it. But then again I was never specific about the actual implementation...

@thatgui How exactly do you envision this working?   Don't get me wrong,  I'm still in favour of a switched solution but your argument isn't making a lot of sense to me.  

You seem to be envisioning a socket with an integrated physical switch which could auto detect the type of connector...  the trouble with that idea being that the two types of connector are physically identical.    If there is to be a physical switch for it it would have to be mounted separately and operated by the user. It could not effect the physical integrity of the socket in any way. 

An electronic switch could theoretically detect which contact is mic and which is ground and activate accordingly, but in that case the physical switch argument is moot anyway.

- Neelix

@thatgui How exactly do you envision this working?   Don't get me wrong,  I'm still in favour of a switched solution but your argument isn't making a lot of sense to me.
Don't know, never wanted to get into arguing about a specific implementation, God Ginrai came up with the "switch solution" (as he mentioned it, I assumed it was an option) for reasons I don't know either.

Incoming wall of text:

This is the most disturbing leap of logic I've ever seen. I thought it would fit, otherwise I wouldn't have suggested it.
Yeah and it was repeatedly said that it just won't fit unless one of the major design goals "don't make it thicker than the Pandora" would be scraped. So if my "leap of logic" is so disturbing, please help me out and tell me an alternative conclusion. Maybe it so obvious that I just don't see it.
 Someone could tell me that pigs fly and I'm not going to believe them until they show me a flying pig. The only thing that was proven not to fit was the normal mount, not the side mount. That's when people got out their measuring devices, and proved to me that a normal Pandora was thinner than my Pandora that had had its battery expand. After that, I dropped the subject of the normal mount, because they had proven to me that it would not fit.

Just because I just said I made it on the assumption that it would not be mechanically problematic does not mean I admit it is. No one provided any solid proof in that topic that it would be mechanically problematic. And the reason I kept mentioning it is due to that.
Leaving aside the fact that this would give use only a 2mm (probably less) "win" in terms of height (so it still won't fit), I havent't found a receptable that lets you mount the USB port sideways (I don't had the time to do an extensive search, so I may be wrong here), so we would have to come up with a custom solution, that needs again time, money and a big leap of faith that it will work.All for your quest against the "unrealiable Micro-B-USB" port we probably won't use anyway - USB3 version it is (I guess).
 Whoa... I dropped the USB issue a while ago because a couple of things have rendered the point moot:

1) I was not going to convince enough people

2) EvilDragon has already confirmed microUSB

While I still stand by my beliefs, they do not pertain to this topic in the least, and this will draw us off on tangents. Even if you were to prove to me now that it actually is mechanically problematic, it would only waste space in this topic and wouldn't even matter since the USB issue has already been decided. I've dropped this issue, and it's best you do too.

By that reasoning, anything intended to fit onto a PCB is flimsy.
Ah, my bad, I'm sorry. I forgot one point:Accessible by the user, but not used very often - e.g. While both, an SD-Card slot an a sim/M-SDCard slot fit both previously mentioned categories the number of uses (=> insert, eject and open,close) will differ a lot.
 I'm not even understanding what you are trying to say with this remark... :\

Oh gee, durability. IIRC, that was the reason I supported USB-B, too. It seems like there is a theme. You once again miss the point that my comments in both topics are supporting making a handheld that lasts.
No, the point is that you scale your own priorties up or down depending on how it fits your arguments in a particular case. Or wouldn't you agree that an eMMC soldered onboard is less likely to break than something a user can physically access (and maybe even misuse): a mSD-Slot ? So durability plays only a secondary role in that particular case, as you weight the benefits that come with a removeable internal memory heavier. Which is totally fine, just do not pretend you have an overall agenda called durability that you follow tightly.
You seem obsessed with trying to use arguments I've made about unrelated topics as weapons against me. While, once again, the argument does not pertain to the topic at hand, I will entertain your argument about eMMC and microSD. The microSD issue is exactly a case of durability. If your eMMC dies, you can't replace it. Hence why using microSD makes the device more durable, or user-serviceable. If your microSD dies, all you have to do is buy a new one and replace it. I also use the arguments of versatility and price to try to convince the largest amount of people I can by showing the other benefits that choosing this safer option provides.

Well, I would assume that an organization that includes all the major players and even some smaller ones is comprehensive enough to define standards. I'm not quite sure why you would think otherwise.
Wouldn't that hinder innovation, if every company that enters the market has to accept the standards, the previous associations that rule the market have already set ? And what about stalemate situations like HDDVD vs BluRay or USB vs. "Firewire". Or invert the situation: if a big association where most of the big player on the market participate say "lets scrap ISO standard XYZ" wouldn't that be bad too ?
 I'm not here to argue these organizations' effects on innovation. There's a lot of things that look good on the heads side and look bad on the tails side, (like the patent system) and if we started arguing about that, the Pyra would be shipping before we were done discussing it.

Maybe I did not phrase my question right, I was reffering to (or tried to) two of your statements:

"It's still not worth it to support functionality that conflicts with standard. Arguments like that are the reason I can't use my HID-compliant controller with over half the games that have come out for Windows over the past 3 years."

and specifically:

"This isn't accepting a standard. This is offering a compromise for your users without accepting that crap as standard."
Maybe you didn't phrase your question right. I don't know, because providing me those 2 things only makes me more confused about what it was you were asking.

Or do we have to wait long enough and the see wether the other "standard" gets the upper hand by that elevating itself from beeing a "crap" to beeing a "not crap" standard ?
 Whether it is forced or not. In this case, Apple forced their version by purposefully breaking compatibility. In a similar way, Microsoft forced their controller by breaking compatibility with the HID standard, and then offering developers a library that made their controller easy to program for, while offering nothing for HID-compliant controllers. Due to the fact that so many people had a 360, it became the most commonly owned controller that could be used for a PC, and thus a perfect way to try to force their standard.

Would you feel the same way about this issue if we were instead talking about changing our microUSB port in some way due to the fact that Apple had taken the microUSB connecter and switched the pinout?

Don't know, never wanted to get into arguing about a specific implementation, God Ginrai came up with the "switch solution" (as he mentioned it, I assumed it was an option) for reasons I don't know either.
I never suggested the switch solution. I have always advocated the adaptor that can be sold separately. I believe the switch solution was proposed by Grench, but I'm too lazy to go check for sure. Grench can always correct me if I wrongly attributed it to him.

-God Ginrai

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phone_connector_(audio)

Some people want to use the 'Apple' version so that they can use popular name-brand headphones with mic. They want a headphone plug from tip to sleeve as:

Left, Right, Ground, Mic

Portable headphones with mic in this 'standard' are ubiquitous. You can get them anywhere.

Some people hate the way Apple bastardized a standard plug and want to be able to use the 'real' standard. They want a headphone plug from tip to sleeve as:

Left, Right, Mic, Ground

Portable headphones with mic in this 'standard' are as rare as hen's teeth. I've yet to see a realistic example of a modern -portable- possibility for this.

Then there are a few who hate Apple so much that they want to force people using Apple style headsets to use an adapter to punish them for Apple's wrongs. To me, this argument is invalid as it forces politics into what is essentially a very easy to solve technical question. It's solution potentially INCREASES product returns from people who think they're audio jack is faulty as the headphones with mic they bought from their local electronics store won't work.

Putting a switch, physical or electronic, to switch the Mic and ground contacts is -easy-, -cheap- and gives the Pyra a selling point of working with -all- headphones.

Politics aside, the solution options are simple.

1. Use the Apple 'standard' and let anyone who happens to find one of those exceedingly rare headsets with mic that use the other 'standard' use an adapter.

2. Include a physical or electronic switch that defaults to the 'Apple' standard and allows people to switch standards if they need to.

Invalid option #3 is to default to the non-Apple standard - for which there -ARE NO NAME BRAND PORTABLE HEADPHONES WITH MIC AVAILABLE IN STORES-. This option is, essentially, a non-starter.

Note: Either way headphones without microphones will still work like 'normal'.

How couldn't they? Don't they short the two pins in question?

Note: Either way headphones without microphones will still work like 'normal'.
 I don't think that is always true.
Sure it is. In the case of headphones without microphones, both the mic and ground contacts in the jack rest on the sleeve (ground) of the 3 connector plug.

The 3 connector and 4 connector plugs are the same length. The 4th connector is obtained by splitting the ground sleeve of a 3 connector plug/jack into two contact patches.

Then there are a few who hate Apple so much that they want to force people using Apple style headsets to use an adapter to punish them for Apple's wrongs. To me, this argument is invalid as it forces politics into what is essentially a very easy to solve technical question. It's solution potentially INCREASES product returns from people who think they're audio jack is faulty as the headphones with mic they bought from their local electronics store won't work.
Or we don't want to be punished ourselves by paying extra and risking hardware failure to accomodate the Apple way.

Invalid option #3 is to default to the non-Apple standard - for which there -ARE NO NAME BRAND PORTABLE HEADPHONES WITH MIC AVAILABLE IN STORES-. This option is, essentially, a non-starter.
That is not true. Astro is a big name brand, and I gave you that example. They are the largest brand in eSports right now, and owned by Skullcandy, another large brand.

-God Ginrai

Or we don't want to be punished ourselves by paying extra and risking hardware failure to accomodate the Apple way.

That is not true. Astro is a big name brand, and I gave you that example. They are the largest brand in eSports right now, and owned by Skullcandy, another large brand.

-God Ginrai
I had never head of Astro before.

The headset you stated is a PC gaming headset with a stand-alone amplifier. They use separate mic an headphone jacks - for which you would still require an adapter to use. They weigh more than the Pyra will.

Those are NOT off-the-shelf readily available name brand portable headsets with microphones.

-God Ginrai
I had never head of Astro before.

The headset you stated is a PC gaming headset with a stand-alone amplifier. They use separate mic an headphone jacks - for which you would still require an adapter to use. They weigh more than the Pyra will.

Those are NOT off-the-shelf readily available name brand portable headsets with microphones.
You have no knowledge of the subject whatsoever. The A40s use 1 standard jack, not 2, no adaptor required. The cable has a split where you can use an included adaptor to switch it to separate mic and headphone jacks, but those are not the default. The Standalone amplifier is only to allow you extra features such as dolby audio, personal voice channel for your team, mixing in MP3 player audio, easily interface with consoles, and give you more audio input sources for your headset. (such as optical and coax) I used them just the other day to call into a conference call through my cell phone. Second of all, the a*star earset is an earset and is perfect for use with cell phones:

a-star-headset-pack.jpg

And lastly: these headsets are readily available off the shelf. They sell Astro products at Best Buy for heaven's sake.

-God Ginrai

You simply did not include enough information in your original statement about A40s.

This is what pops up for astar a40 in a Google search.

The A40 Audio system:

http://www.astrogaming.com/a40-audio-system/A40-AUDIO-SYSTEM-ASTRO.html?dwvar_A40-AUDIO-SYSTEM-ASTRO_color=White#start=1

I looked for a*star a40 and astar a40 on the BestBuy website and could not find anything that looks remotely like your pictured unit.

I WAS able to find the gigantic cans for PC gaming at BestBuy.com, however those are NOT appropriate for this use.

After more searching I found these which appear to be what you have:

http://www.amazon.com/ASTRO-Gaming-Star-ear-Headset/dp/B005EZ09V6

They are NOT A40s. They are also, apparently, discontinued.

Your use-case is obscure at best and most likely invalid.

Real use cases are going to be someone picking up a set of headphones with mic and expecting them to simply work. For that expectation, sadly, it is the Apple bastardized 'standard' with the swapped mic and ground.

What you have shown is a discontinued exception to that rule. That may be a case for adding a switch to make your use case possible, but definitely doesn't work as a 'default' configuration.

Please find something even remotely mainstream AND available. A good place to start looking for examples is here:

http://www.headphone.com/index.php

You simply did not include enough information in your original statement about A40s.

This is what pops up for astar a40 in a Google search.

The A40 Audio system:

http://www.astrogaming.com/a40-audio-system/A40-AUDIO-SYSTEM-ASTRO.html?dwvar_A40-AUDIO-SYSTEM-ASTRO_color=White#start=1

I looked for a*star a40 and astar a40 on the BestBuy website and could not find anything that looks remotely like your pictured unit.

I WAS able to find the gigantic cans for PC gaming at BestBuy.com, however those are NOT appropriate for this use.

After more searching I found these which appear to be what you have:

http://www.amazon.com/ASTRO-Gaming-Star-ear-Headset/dp/B005EZ09V6

They are NOT A40s. They are also, apparently, discontinued.

Your use-case is obscure at best and most likely invalid.

Real use cases are going to be someone picking up a set of headphones with mic and expecting them to simply work. For that expectation, sadly, it is the Apple bastardized 'standard' with the swapped mic and ground.

What you have shown is a discontinued exception to that rule. That may be a case for adding a switch to make your use case possible, but definitely doesn't work as a 'default' configuration.

Please find something even remotely mainstream AND available. A good place to start looking for examples is here:

http://www.headphone.com/index.php
No, once again, you are not reading what I said:

But I can say that my Astro A40s and my a*star headsets all use the original standard.
My point is that you are wrong about the A40s and you are also wrong about the a*star earsets. All you are doing is looking at pictures you found in google and throwing together poorly crafted arguments based on them. Take a hint from thatgui and actually do some research before you try to talk like you understand what I am talking about.

-God Ginrai

Back