Orange Box On Pandora?

The binaries will likely only work on the x86 architecture. For it to work on the Pandora, it will have to be ported to work with the ARM processor. No one here will be able to port it because I doubt it will be open source. You would have to convince Valve, but I don't think they would do it.

Jonttu said:
I just found this on Digg Orange Box for Linux What do you guys think?

Half-Life 2 and related games are DirectX based. Steam, as a DRM scheme, is incompatible with the free software ethic.

x86 and Pandora aside, I'm thinking that this rumor is pretty unlikely for those two reasons.

Last edited by a moderator:
shmuck said:
Half-Life 2 and related games are DirectX based. Steam, as a DRM scheme, is incompatible with the free software ethic.

x86 and Pandora aside, I'm thinking that this rumor is pretty unlikely for those two reasons.
Not all software on linux is free. There is nothing stopping them from implementing DRM in linux. Most of the reason they haven't is the market penetration of linux, which is now increasing more than it has been before because of user friendly distros such as Ubuntu. If you would RTFA you would see this url: http://www.valvesoftware.com/job-SenSoftEngineer.html which clearly states that Valve is looking to port windows based games to linux.

So it's possible we may see the orange box on linux. It is a stretch, though, to say it will be on the pandora.

There are no pictures or words that exist or will exist that I can use to properly respond to this topic. I apologize profusely.

atomicthumbs said:
There are no pictures or words that exist or will exist that I can use to properly respond to this topic. I apologize profusely.
Let me have a try then.

:: ahem ::

majcaaabh.jpg

I think that sums it up rather nicely.

This was discussed a lot on the Ubuntu forums and I'll say here what I said there

Valve doesn't say anything about porting HL or anything else, doesn't say if it's for future projects or old ones and it's unlikely that the company would make such a turn around about Linux since they have posted numerous times on their own forum that they will never support Linux and so on and even banned people for talking about it and deleted posts.

Also Porting games in this sense most likely refers to the server ports that Valve has for all their servers, some argue that Valve already has Linux servers but as stated the ad doesn't say it's for old games and most game companies doesn't develop for their old games but make new ones and they also need Linux servers.

I actually burst out laughing and got some odd looks from my family.

Even if VALVe do attempt to port their games to Linux I can guarantee that it won't be done for a very long time. VALVe are notorious for taking a long time to do things and even when they do say this month or in the coming weeks you will still be waiting at least a couple of months for it to be released. Looking at this size of this project it will be a long time before the Linux community see's anything, at least a year or two.

Anyway, VALVe games would require Steam. So that would hog even more power from the Pandora. I don't know much about the technical specs of the Pandora, but I believe I could say with a 100% certainty that this will not work on the Pandora.

Back