Os And Browsers Of Readers Of The "just Bought A 20" Imac&qu

telegramguy

Website
www.youtube.com
Counted by unique IP's only. It looks like the vast majority of users that read that thread about some guy's new 20" iMac were Windows XP users on Firefox (about 33% v1.5 and the other 66% v2.0).

From all the posts, it looked like everyone was using Linux but maybe those were the posters and the WindowsXP people were just readers.

72% WindowsXP
20% Linux
4% OSX
2% FreeBSD

64% Firefox
16% Opera
12% Internet Explorer
4% Avant, Epiphany, etc.

Amazingly several work places force you to use IE, what kind of system admin would think that was a good idea?

^^ I tried to like BSD. I had OpenBSD and FreeBSD installed at different points... but I didn't see any speed difference between it and Linux, and anyone who releases binary-only ( :angry: ) tends to only release Linux binaries, and the attempts at executable emulation I tried were slooooowww... so heh :) Not BSDs fault I suppose, but I can whine :D

^^ I tried to like BSD. I had OpenBSD and FreeBSD installed at different points... but I didn't see any speed difference between it and Linux, and anyone who releases binary-only ( :angry: ) tends to only release Linux binaries, and the attempts at executable emulation I tried were slooooowww... so heh :) Not BSDs fault I suppose, but I can whine :D
All the Linux binaries I run go just as fast as they do on Linux. I'm wondering if you were using the Linux compatibility in the kernel or not? I've got it running as a module, but it can be compiled right in. The only things I haven't been able to get it to run are things that rely on Linux kernel modules, like VMWare. I notice a speed difference on the same hardware (this laptop is about 4 years old) and I find FreeBSD easier to tune for performance, but that might just be that I'm more used to it. I use Gentoo on my desktop, though, since nVidia hasn't released drivers for FreeBSD/AMD64 yet.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well VMWare not working is bad for me too (though I guess Xen boots Windows now, doesn't it, heh), but yeah I was just using the kernel binary compatibility module in OpenBSD, and it sure seemed slow. In any case, my sound card didn't like operating with OSS, so ALSA seems to be a must anyway.

I must be one of the few using Mac OS X and Safari.

I use OSX and Safari / firefox on my mac

and

Windows XP / firefox on my pc laptop.

I really liked Ubuntu on my mac but not having flash made me a sad panda. I would switch from windows to linux but I'm just to lazy to do that right now. Plus, my laptop is set up just how I want it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was using Firefox and Windows Vista (rc2). I guess I must be less than 1% according to your research.

Back