Our New Machine, Pandora

Should this thread die?

• Yes, kill it now!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Maybe move it to off-topic?

• No, let it live until its natural death!

• Total voters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not that it was anything to do with me, But you can maybe see why some posts were deleted in the last closed thread, Just by looking at the quality of some of the ones posted here.

Another thread almost up the shh... Toilet, But thankfully saved by the last few posters.

Pheww!!!.

Trooper

trooper said:
Another thread almost up the shh... Toilet, But thankfully saved by the last few posters.
It´s called a lavatory.

Also here´s the opinion of the Sandwich Chef:

gp3xrt8.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Orkie said:
OrR said:
I guess I'll have to go somewhere else to find out what would have to be done to get OpenMoko working... :rolleyes:
I happen to know exactly what would have to be done to get OpenMoko running on this new thing, but it isn't going to happen because it's boring. Making your own thing is more exciting and is capable of running all the OpenMoko applications anyway, so what's your problem?

I think standards are good. I think joining the OpenMoko effort instead of doing it all over again would make sense. If the GP community manages to pull off a distro of comparable quality and ease of use and games and apps run on both easily, fine, I can live with that. I doubt it's going to happen but I'd love to be proven wrong.

Fishbong said:
trooper said:
It´s called a lavatory.

Also here´s the opinion of the Sandwich Chef:

gp3xrt8.gif

Nice to see that we`re still on topic, And that you picked the finer points of my post to comment on.

Trooper

I can't believe we haven't had huge arguments about the colour of the thing!

Also, fat stylus! I hate the thin ones...

lubidog said:
Goobers said:
Wow, this thread has been derailed somewhat!

To take things back on topic perhaps:

I wonder whether the new device will be capable of some kind of "standby" mode, so you could run qtopia on it and have it sleep until you have an appointment or alarm or whatever.
A good sleep mode like the PSP has (the DS one is almost useless, barely lasts a couple of ours (I have the DS fat...?)) would be a key app for me! The whole play a bit here and there of handheld gaming is great, and a must for RPGs! That's why I prefer the PSP snes emu in fact!

As long as you can also turn it all of the way off too. That is one thing I hate about the PSP. Leave it sit unused for a couple of weeks and when you go to use it, dead battery SO annoying ;) You have to constantly remember to keep after it as it drains itself always.

lubidog said:
what do you call a fat stylus? - i personally like the ds lite stylus, that would be perfect fo the new console

lubidog said:
i think black or maybe white, im not keen on silver it think it looks a bit cheap and tacky on a games console

DaveC said:
As long as you can also turn it all of the way off too. That is one thing I hate about the PSP. Leave it sit unused for a couple of weeks and when you go to use it, dead battery SO annoying ;) You have to constantly remember to keep after it as it drains itself always.
Yeah, definitely. I keep thinking about whether this device would have the capability to function as a PDA properly- would qtopia suffer if it were running under the main linux OS of the device (as in, is launched like an app instead of BEING the OS...)

Does it have services that can run in the background to keep appointments and things? (when being used as a games machine)

Hope I'm being clear enough, I can't find the words for what I want to say exactly...

wonder if the new machine will play bioshock, mmm wonder if we can get hold of the source code.

i miss telcolou!

norm said:
lubidog said:
what do you call a fat stylus? - i personally like the ds lite stylus, that would be perfect fo the new console

lubidog said:
i think black or maybe white, im not keen on silver it think it looks a bit cheap and tacky on a games console

I want a silver brushed aluminum finish! either that or something that does not show fingerprints or scratches (like the back of the sansa).

doesnt a rubberized finish eventually wears off until only smooth plastic is left? I hate when that happens (on my mx500 mouse). Of course if it was completely rubber, i dont think that would happen.

@DaveC, you can switch the PSP off completely. So what's the problem? The PSP does this perfectly. Let's do the same thing!

I want a pink one to come out a few months after the standard silver one. I think this would appeal to da chicks!

invinciblegod said:
doesnt a rubberized finish eventually wears off until only smooth plastic is left? I hate when that happens (on my mx500 mouse). Of course if it was completely rubber, i dont think that would happen.

Never actually seen that happen and I've had a couple of gizmondos in my hands... I also have a Logic3 Wireless gamepad for the Xbox and it's not wearing either :)

Edit: I do think that the rubberized finish could be available in various colours

lubidog said:
@DaveC, you can switch the PSP off completely. So what's the problem? The PSP does this perfectly. Let's do the same thing!

Heh. DaveC should really RTFM. :)
(and I second your opinion, lubidog).

You can't please everybody, and I've seen some "must haves" in this and the previous threat that are really not realistic. This is my personal hopefully realistic updated wishlist. I'm pretty pleased with it, and it would be nice to see it available for real within 6 months. Thank you :)

Color: black definitely
Soc:who cares
N64 emulation: who cares
Gamepad/Joystick: Solid, responsive, deadzone as small as possible!
Analog stick: who cares
PSX emulation: nice to have
Wifi: Please ensure reasonable wifi reception
Design: small, solid!
Screen: high quality - definitely!
TV-out: nice to have. Quality isn't important
Keyboard: Not needed for much typing so quality can be low
Memory: 128 Mb should be ok
Battery life: Not the most important thing, if it's better than gp2x it will be fine
Dual Core: a devvie thing, if it makes devs happy it makes me happy :)
Price: As low as possible without losing quality of design. Save money on soc, 3d chip (who needs it anyway?), keyboard
Devs: needs to ported, definitely!
Internal clock, for pda functionality!

I would already be glad just to have a gp2x with touchscreen, wifi + keyboard, joystick with a lower deadzone and tv-out. .

Sidenote:
Needs to be launched asap, the guys in charge shouldn't waste time arguing with flamable semi technical 'knows all' forumgroupies that don't have any responsibility.

lubidog said:

I want a pink one to come out a few months after the standard silver one. I think this would appeal to da chicks!
Pink or red even would be kewl! How about replaceable face plates?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back