Our New Machine, Pandora

Should this thread die?

• Yes, kill it now!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Maybe move it to off-topic?

• No, let it live until its natural death!

• Total voters

Status
Not open for further replies.
norm said:
do you think the f-200 will actually be out in october? of just more false hope from GPH?
Even if it slips to November, it's likely to be out for quite a while before the "GP3X" sees distribution... I have no doubt that I'll be able to save up for a GP3X even after tapping my bank account for the GP2X F-200. :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
One question remains unanswered. If Craig (who owns gp2x.co.uk?) is working on another project, will gp2x.co.uk bother being a UK distributor for the F200?

The F-200 would be a buy if it had some combination of the following:

If it improved things for our hardworking devs in any way

USB Host

Faster Processor/Better Hardware

SDHC support

Li-ion Battery

Better d-pad design than what they're showing in the renders (that thing looks like it belongs on a phone, not a game console)

Since, the only announced improvements are the touchscreen and that d-pad, I'm going to have to pass. I'd probably recommend it to someone who doesn't have a F-100, already, but they should be looking more at marketing it to their existing customers.

tridion said:
One question remains unanswered. If Craig (who owns gp2x.co.uk?) is working on another project, will gp2x.co.uk bother being a UK distributor for the F200?
Or since he's developing a rival device will GPH let him be a UK distributor?

Lurkio said:
tridion said:

I don't think they won't to lose the sales of one of the bigger GP2X distributors..

Exophase said:
I don't think they won't to lose the sales of one of the bigger GP2X distributors..
It seems like a case of they're damned if they do and they're damned if they don't. :)

If they do, they're helping to fund a rival device.

If they don't, they lose money and may end up like GamePark.

GPH seems to have a better device than Craig; but only because Craig has no official design, price, or release date at all. The D-pad on the GP2X F-200 does seem to be rather horrendous, though (which is OK if it still works on the cradle)...

Jarska333 said:
jomama said:
4 speakers instead of only 2. portable surround sound, baby!

Dur...? :huh:

Been looking for a small keyboard, that looks nice. :)

who the hell wouldn't want 4 channel audio on a handheld?
i know i would. it would make the sound on it so much better.

WarmFluffyUK said:
Here's a very early render, I still have lots of detail to add to it yet:
console.jpg

Hope it's ok.
wow thats an awesome job

GPH have not 'screwed us over' we have known about this for a while but were not able to say anything. It was supposed to come with the value pack a long time ago.

Our system is still happening, and will be ready when it's ready.

Exophase said:
Lurkio said:
tridion said:

I think the opposite should be the question. Will Craig still want to be a UK GP2X distributor when his device comes out? I would guess no.

I dont want to break your discussions about th new GP2x-FH200

but if have updated my eDragon Design:
250807020218_eDragon_beta6_blue.png

maybe WarmFluffyUK can make a 3D-Render of that.

:D

Hey everyone, I've only just seen this thread so I haven't heard anything about this new console. As far as I can tell it's being developed by craigix and various other people and is including a touch screen.
I thought I'd just add a little contribution with a design idea I did in inkscape. (mainly because I was bored). I'll do a proper 3d view sometime if people like this design.

Also I can't tell, is there going to be a keyboard included in this console? Because If so I have an idea of how to integrate it into my design.

And btw, It is actually supposed to be white, but I made the image a bit grey otherwise it just looks a bit too glary on the screen.

No abnormal protrusions(the battery case on the GP2X and it's horrid stick of much cussing). A sleep mode would be most excellent, or a home button so that reboots aren't necessary.

The ability to switch from battery to DC without the unit turning off.

Make sure whatever you choose as a dpad replacement has a good tactile response to it.

And by the way, I am soooo buying one of whatever you're gonna call it;)

Actually, that brings up another good point, GeePeeTooEx is hard to say when someone asks me what I'm playing. Keep the name short and simple, like FreeGame or GameBrick or something of the sort.

Even if you hafta 'trend-it-up'(shudder) and use badly spelled things like GameBri-k

chris_r said:
I thought I'd just add a little contribution with a design idea I did in inkscape. (mainly because I was bored). I'll do a proper 3d view sometime if people like this design.

Also I can't tell, is there going to be a keyboard included in this console? Because If so I have an idea of how to integrate it into my design.

And btw, It is actually supposed to be white, but I made the image a bit grey otherwise it just looks a bit too glary on the screen.

Simple and stylish. I like that. Two things though:
The device probably won't be able to have the classical D-pad cross as it's a patented design, and
the Start/Select buttons are way too small.
By the way, is this drawing done to scale (taking into account the precise dimensions of the screen)?

Also, it seems most handheld devices with WiFi and/or Bluetooth are using blue LEDs for indicating wireless activity.

Keyboard hasn't been confirmed as far as I know, and many users seem to think it'd be better to have Bluetooth on the device and buy a small Bluetooth keyboard as an accessory, or to have some other form of attachable keyboard accessory. Me, I'm leaning towards Bluetooth now as integrating a keyboard would require more moving parts (for moving the screen or keyboard) and that would cause the device to be less solid and durable.
But I'd like to see how you were thinking of integrating it, perhaps you have a different design than the two main designs people have shown so far (springloaded screen moving up with keyboard underneath it in the "base" of the unit, or springloaded keyboard underneath the device like on a HTC phone).

Other than that I like what I'm seeing here. Side views would be nice too, to see how the various ports and side buttons (in particular 4 shoulder buttons) would be possible to integrate into this design.

Dunno if you can use this concept I had made a coupla years ago. Don't know its feasability(like how much of the nub concept is already patented and the like)

danalogue%20copy.png

The ring design is to allow easy play of fighting games and such where rotating directions becomes necessary. Your thumb follows the ring naturally anyways. The indented arrows allow the tactile feel of the four cardinal directions. The analogue nub in the middle, purely optional of course, would be unimpeded by the path of the thumb around the ring as you thumb does not naturally fall to the middle of the dpad in a PSX game(it does in a Ninty game due to their design allowing a trace up and down and back and forth, similar to the trace around this design provides).

cappuchok said:
Simple and stylish. I like that. Two things though:
The device probably won't be able to have the classical D-pad cross as it's a patented design, and
the Start/Select buttons are way too small.
By the way, is this drawing done to scale (taking into account the precise dimensions of the screen)?

Also, it seems most handheld devices with WiFi and/or Bluetooth are using blue LEDs for indicating wireless activity.

Keyboard hasn't been confirmed as far as I know, and many users seem to think it'd be better to have Bluetooth on the device and buy a small Bluetooth keyboard as an accessory, or to have some other form of attachable keyboard accessory. Me, I'm leaning towards Bluetooth now as integrating a keyboard would require more moving parts (for moving the screen or keyboard) and that would cause the device to be less solid and durable.
But I'd like to see how you were thinking of integrating it, perhaps you have a different design than the two main designs people have shown so far (springloaded screen moving up with keyboard underneath it in the "base" of the unit, or springloaded keyboard underneath the device like on a HTC phone).

Other than that I like what I'm seeing here. Side views would be nice too, to see how the various ports and side buttons (in particular 4 shoulder buttons) would be possible to integrate into this design.
Yeah I did start of originally with a DS style dpad, then remembered that it couldnt be used. Realised I couldn't be arsed to redraw it and just fattened the directions up and rounded it off a bit instead.

The start select buttons are just temporary. I know there's some way they should be set up to play vertical mame games but I haven't looked it up yet.

It's not to any specific dimensions. The only reason the screen in the drawing is 800x480 is so that I could see the proper dimensions of the screen and use it as a starting point. (plus I'm an engineering student, I get bored of writing dimensions for absolutely everything so I thought I'd take a day off :p )

I didn't use a blue led because I was just copying the gp2x leds as an example.

I was thinking of a kind of keyboard underneath slide-out dealy. I think in the end a built in keyboard would be a wrong choice. Attaching it would mean that the keyboard would have to be a bit thin and flimsy and easily snapped and/or the keyboard would add a huge amount of bulk. Especially when it would only really be used for amiga/c64 emulation and possibly a few apps. For a gaming machine it just seems like overkill when there's a touchscreen included anyway.

And finally I didn't realise there were 4 shoulder buttons instead of 2. I may have a few ideas I'll draw up later but it may be dependant on how people hold the gp2x, or if it's just they way I hold it.

realyst said:
Dunno if you can use this concept I had made a coupla years ago. Don't know its feasability(like how much of the nub concept is already patented and the like)
danalogue%20copy.png

The ring design is to allow easy play of fighting games and such where rotating directions becomes necessary. Your thumb follows the ring naturally anyways. The indented arrows allow the tactile feel of the four cardinal directions. The analogue nub in the middle, purely optional of course, would be unimpeded by the path of the thumb around the ring as you thumb does not naturally fall to the middle of the dpad in a PSX game(it does in a Ninty game due to their design allowing a trace up and down and back and forth, similar to the trace around this design provides).

Cool design! I thought it was a speaker for a sec ;)
Maybe YOU should patent it? Don't you have 5000 USD lying around your house like everyone else?

Well, I, as German distributor, will sell the gp2x as long as people are interested in it.
Regardless of the new system we're currently creating.
I think both units have a place: The gp2x as cheaper gaming device for classic games, the new device as a tad more expensive device with the possibility to have more recent games with 3D, hires and touchpad (taken aside the PDA-like possibilities)

But if anybody is fine with gp2x-style games and doesn't need fancy 3D or something like that, why should he buy the more expensive device?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back