Our New Machine, Pandora

Should this thread die?

• Yes, kill it now!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Maybe move it to off-topic?

• No, let it live until its natural death!

• Total voters

Status
Not open for further replies.
javaJake said:
craigix said:
As I've said, it will be released when it's ready, we don't plan to rush anything.
This depends on your definition of "ready"... ;)

(What is it, anyway?)

craigix said:
The OMAP situation is a surprise and a delay but a nice one I think you will all agree.
BTW, what is "OMAP"? I Googled it, and I got fuzzy or irrevelant results.

OMAP is TI's line of SoC (systems on a chip). craigix is looking at OMAP3430, the most advanced model they have (and the only SoC I know of that implements the ARM Cortex-A8 CPU)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OMAP

Last edited by a moderator:
Exophase said:
javaJake said:
craigix said:
As I've said, it will be released when it's ready, we don't plan to rush anything.
This depends on your definition of "ready"... ;)

(What is it, anyway?)

craigix said:
The OMAP situation is a surprise and a delay but a nice one I think you will all agree.
BTW, what is "OMAP"? I Googled it, and I got fuzzy or irrevelant results.

OMAP is TI's line of SoC (systems on a chip). craigix is looking at OMAP3430, the most advanced model they have (and the only SoC I know of that implements the ARM Cortex-A8 CPU)

And is the only SoC that Exophase said he would get excited over :lol:

craigix said:
That's as close a confirmation as I need to finally lay this thread to rest and relax knowing the handheld will be powerful enough for my needs/wants. I'll be back in a months time :p

Exophase said:

Bluetooth, IR, two video outputs, 3D graphics that supports OpenGL 2... :blink: Is there anything this thing can't do?

Edit: OK, so the OMAP board is capable of these things - they have to actually buy extra hardware for some of those things to happen.

One thing has got me thinking. PowerVR SGX has hardware support for OpenGL ES 2.0 and OpenGL 2.0. (and DX10)

From what is demonstrated, OpenGL 2.0 on windows and ES 2.0 on linux. Does this mean that we can access OpenGL 2.0 functions with a hack? Or was this hardware removed for the lower end SGX cards

Also khronos has ported ES 2.0, so it is all open and the SDK can easily be downloaded now.

craigix said:
The final design probably will have 2 analogues and one digital, but it's all neat and tidy :)
Ok so vertical MAME games are out.

But really, why do we need *two* analogs? One analog and one d-pad should be enough. I mean is PSX THAT important? that is all that would use that and most of those games can use a D-pad anyway. Is that all this is about is doing PSX like the PSP? I don't se that being something that will sell to a varied audience especially since the PSp already does that. By the time this comes out it will be yesterday's news on PSP. Other than a few PSX fanbois here that don't want to buy a (much cheaper) PSP I don't see that being a big selling point. That aspect will mostly draw a big been there done that yawn.

It will be getting too cluttered with two sticks poking out. Everything should be comfortable to play.

DaveC said:
craigix said:
The final design probably will have 2 analogues and one digital, but it's all neat and tidy :)
Ok so vertical MAME games are out.

But really, why do we need *two* analogs? [...]

It will be getting too cluttered with two sticks poking out. Everything should be comfortable to play.

Now, now, DaveC. He didn't say nothing of the sort. Have you seen the case??

I was sympathetic to your for a while on this thread and really liked your first mockup design, but now it seems you're just whining.

If he can get dual-analogue to fit well in the design, power to it. Lots of cool apps and games can be designed with this in mind.

But it seems you're just concerning yourself with MAME.

realyst said:
If he can get dual-analogue to fit well in the design, power to it. Lots of cool apps and games can be designed with this in mind.

Like?

Ok so no one wants MAME anymore I guess (even though I hear alot about it in other sections of this board), but what will the two sticks be needed for other than just PSX? First person shooters? Ever play those on a small 4" screen? I have on the PSP, they suck. FPS are just not that great on a tiny screen, they are best and most immersive on the big screen.

I do hope the USB thing will be in a place that can be used for attaching a better controller module somehow.

DaveC said:
realyst said:

Like?

Ok so no one wants MAME anymore I guess (even though I hear alot about it in other sections of this board), but what will the two sticks be needed for other than just PSX? First person shooters? Ever play those on a small 4" screen? I have on the PSP, they suck. FPS are just not that great on a tiny screen, they are best and most immersive on the big screen.

I do hope the USB thing will be in a place that can be used for attaching a better controller module somehow.

Maybe the 2nd analogue is a nub in the middle of the keyboard.

But realisticly, it would probably be at the bottom of each end, not to use both at the same time, but to allow for FPS and N64 style games.

craigix said:
Anyway we have the F200 to play with very soon, that should be a fun stop gap.
Didn't they fuck up the "D-pad" on that by making it separate buttons? I wonder if there will be any development on the GP2X anymore anyway due to the interest in your new one.

I'm just wondering whether these "dual analogue" sticks will have a stick click thing or not. I'm also intrigued about the shoulder button setup (no shoulders, one on either side, two on either side, GP2X volume style things on either side, etc.

Oh the possibilities... *wonders off to dream of magical handheld consoles flying around fields with bunnys hopping around*

http://focus.ti.com/docs/pr/pressrelease.j...?prelId=sc07031

720p High-Definition Video Playback Moves to the Mobile Handset

With support for up to 720p HD-video playback (1280x720 pixels), the OMAP3430 application processor gives consumers direct access to personal video content stored in high-definition formats. Users can transfer and view HD-video content on the mobile handset or connect the handset to a projector or large screen TV, giving consumers the flexibility to determine how and where they view video programs.

"As the wireless market continues to evolve, 3D graphics and high-end video will transform the mobile user experience through the availability of new content and services," said Mario Morales, analyst, IDC. "Semiconductor platforms that provide these value-added features from the high end of the market, and also in the mainstream segments, stand to gain more momentum as consumers require a more compelling list of features like 720p video playback and OpenGL ES 2.0 advanced graphics, for a richer user experience on their new feature phones."

icurafu said:
With support for up to 720p HD-video playback (1280x720 pixels), the OMAP3430 application processor gives consumers direct access to personal video content stored in high-definition formats. Users can transfer and view HD-video content on the mobile handset or connect the handset to a projector or large screen TV, giving consumers the flexibility to determine how and where they view video programs.
As I was saying, is there anything this device can't do!? :D

I mean... wow... $400 is starting to look pretty measly. ;)

craigix said:
As I've said, it will be released when it's ready, we don't plan to rush anything. The OMAP situation is a surprise and a delay but a nice one I think you will all agree.

Anyway we have the F200 to play with very soon, that should be a fun stop gap.
xgp-dnf.jpg

When it's ready? Feature creep? Cuidado, amigo. :)

DaveC said:
realyst said:

Like?

Katamari style games. Games where movement if fluid in two different ways. Or tank like games(even a MAME fan should appreciate that). How about camera movement and player movement? Or maybe cursor movement? What about the possibility of map control? Flight simulation with POV? Cursor and multi-scroll in a browser enviro?

Wake up DaveC. Seriously. Your narrowing far too much into Mame as to make any valid point you have seem invalid by association.

And to hell with your assertion that I don't want MAME anymore. I like MAME. I like it a lot. And I fail to see how any of this will negatively impact MAME. Will this stop you from Metal Slug or Arkanoid or Samurai Showdown? No. Will it stop you from playing 1942? No. None of the designs proposed or hinted at would prevent you from turning the console on its head. And even if it did through some miracle of physics, what percentage of MAME players turned their monitor on its side to play a vertical shooter? The resolution will be adequate either way. Oh yeah, AND WE DON'T KNOW WHAT THE BLOODY THING WILL LOOK LIKE YET. Grow up.

And what about FPS games? Some people happen to like those. So sorry they're not to your liking.

Sorry if my post seems a little spiteful, but that last jab at not caring about MAME simply because things aren't being designed by your spec got me miffed.

I for one would love a good Katamari style game, but good luck finding anyone who will do such a thing :/

If cost is an issue I thing even OMAP2420 and OMAP2430 can come into play, it includes MBX acelerator and has floating point.
That would be more like a psp.
Also 2420 and 2430 are allready in the "street" in many devices and phones.

I thought the OMAP thing pushed this back to early 2008 like February or something. Now people are saying May? Applause for the dual analog sticks. I think only four buttons on the right side would be great. Six is too much as many people have said and for N64 people can just use the C-stick. I sure hope the OMAP makes this into a beast. Will I still need to get a laptop for college if I get this?

mavsman4457 said:
I thought the OMAP thing pushed this back to early 2008 like February or something. Now people are saying May?
All craigix ever said about it was "spring." February isn't spring by anyone's standards.

realyst said:
And to hell with your assertion that I don't want MAME anymore. I like MAME. I like it a lot. None of the designs proposed or hinted at would prevent you from turning the console on its head. And even if it did through some miracle of physics, what percentage of MAME players turned their monitor on its side to play a vertical shooter? The resolution will be adequate either way.

And what about FPS games? Some people happen to like those. So sorry they're not to your liking.
Well yes there are some designs that make vertical play awkward. If you had to crane your hand around to the top to fire while using the d-pad on the bottom (there would be no buttons there as that is where the analog would be) that would pretty much prevent you from doing it as it is too uncomfortable. You would then have to play in the normal horizontal orientation. 2 problems with that. One you would get a tiny 2" GBA micro sized image. Second actually the resolution is *not* adequate. 320 vertical doesn't go into 480. So you would have to fractionally stretch the stuff to get that wonderful 2" image size. That would make the image ugly as well as small. Many MAME players didn't turn their monitors on their side, but their monitors were much larger than 4" and were 4:3 so it was not as big of a problem ;)

FPS games? I never said I didn't like them. They are actually my favorite genre and that is basically most of what I have and play on my Xbox 360. I just said they are not too impressive on a small screen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back