Our New Machine, Pandora

Should this thread die?

• Yes, kill it now!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Maybe move it to off-topic?

• No, let it live until its natural death!

• Total voters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Stealth Bagel said:
DaveC said:
but Bush can get away with mass murder for oil and war profits and that is OK, no impeachment for him rolleyes.gif

Yes yes, the US got so much free oil from Iraq. That's why it costs record amounts to fill up a small car with gas..... but this is really getting off topic and I'd rather not send this topic off on another ridiculous tangent, so let's end it here.
Um well the US is trying like hell to get the Iraqi puppet "government" to sign off on these huge oil deals that give companies like Exxon rites to a huge percentage of Iraqi oil. While not "free" it is a huge discount. As far as cheap gas at the pump it won't happen (well it will go down briefly next year as there is an election comming, high gas prices are bad for the Republicans ;) ). That is not the idea, they don't care about you or the US citzen. The idea is that Exxon can pay much less for the oil and charge us the same and make even more vulgar profit than they do now. It is a scam, stop watching the Faux News Channel and look around for what is really going on.

Last edited by a moderator:
Firefox said:
Also, the lack of cache control makes it hard to share data between the two cores without performance tanking. It'd be good if the first core could work on some data for a bit, flush its data cache to make sure it's all really written out to memory, then the second core could work on that data. But you can't do that, so on the GP2X
err, yes you can :) It's a SWI call, that's all.

Firefox said:
This is why I was pissed off when I found out that Gamepark had disabled the ability to boot off SD card. I could've just written "super GBA" style code written onto the metal and would've been able to wring much more performance out of the GP2X's hardware.
True, you can't boot direct from the SD card, but you can boot your application in Linux and then ask for Linux to go sleep whilst you take over the entire hardware. This is how Spot was created - it would have never have been fast enough otherwise.

I got inspired by efegea, so here's a GUI concept I made in photoshop:

LINK

Here it is when you have several windows and music running:

LINK

The setup is, IMO, very simple. There is dock to the right of the screen containing the things that most people would need to use on this console. They can be changed under the settings menu. On the left-hand side there is dock that contains shortcuts that the user has made, so that they can click and use their favorite game/program. On the bottom is the window dock. It contains open and minimized windows that are in use. At its top, there is the time, the date, the battery indicator, and the wifi signal indicator.

In order to get a window, in this gui, to get in fullscreen mode, you tap the bar above it twice using the touchscreen. To get out of it you tap the top of the screen, where the bar that is normally above it shows up, and then you tap it twice. In order to minimize something you click on its icon in the window dock at the bottom. You do the opposite to get it out of the minimized mode.

If you are running music along with your other programs, then there is a small bar at the top of the screen with music controls, and your current song's information. This is assuming that you can multi-task easily on this console. It does, after all, have 128MB of RAM. ;)

It combines the simple setup of a handheld's GUI with the expandability and capabilities of a Desktop GUI.

What do you guys think?

That's a nice looking GUI, we are probably going to use an off the shelf one to start with (with some tweaks). I got about 50% done on writing one for the previous SOC but now with the added power it would have to be redone with the additional hardware in mind, it was a similar 'keep it simple' set up though.

It would be nice to get something like Beryl running...

craigix, I've sent an email to you, using the forums "send an email to craigix" option on your profile. I hope it's sent correctly.

garzyboi said:
mass debate about what?
There's always something to have a good mass debate over :lol:

or mass debate about great the new handheld is going to be.

I think that's the most relevant cause for mass debation in this thread...

I think full-fledged apps should be able to get out of the window mode. I want to be able to double tap anything everywhere, without it going back from fullscreen to windowed. Besides, multiple windows on a 4.x" screen? :)

Is there any chance someone could remove all the USA complaining posts from this thread? I don't actually care about off topic that much if it's at least a natural progression but the constant moaning is really ruining this thread for me :| Especially DaveC ;P

OMars said:

LINK

LINK

The setup is, IMO, very simple. There is dock to the right of the screen containing the things that most people would need to use on this console. They can be changed under the settings menu. On the left-hand side there is dock that contains shortcuts that the user has made, so that they can click and use their favorite game/program. On the bottom is the window dock. It contains open and minimized windows that are in use. At its top, there is the time, the date, the battery indicator, and the wifi signal indicator.

In order to get a window, in this gui, to get in fullscreen mode, you tap the bar above it twice using the touchscreen. To get out of it you tap the top of the screen, where the bar that is normally above it shows up, and then you tap it twice. In order to minimize something you click on its icon in the window dock at the bottom. You do the opposite to get it out of the minimized mode.

If you are running music along with your other programs, then there is a small bar at the top of the screen with music controls, and your current song's information. This is assuming that you can multi-task easily on this console. It does, after all, have 128MB of RAM. ;)

It combines the simple setup of a handheld's GUI with the expandability and capabilities of a Desktop GUI.

What do you guys think?

I love it! I vote for that!

Nice choice of music btw!

efegea said:
craigix, I've sent an email to you, using the forums "send an email to craigix" option on your profile. I hope it's sent correctly.
Ohh that email account is dead, i've updated my profile with my real email address.

Edit: actually no, it didn't work, I cannot change the email address on this account :( but it's dead, don't use it.

We should be concerned about the spec of the product - the price if the spec is as good as expected is to a degree irrelevant.

The problem is largely due to the weak position of the dollar plus the enhanced spec now proposed but a quality product is a quality product and that should be the most important point.

craigix said:
efegea said:
Ohh that email account is dead, i've updated my profile with my real email address.

Edit: actually no, it didn't work, I cannot change the email address on this account :( but it's dead, don't use it.

Then, how can I send an email or message to you? It seems you can't receive private messages.

[/quote]
The British economy has ALWAYS been one of the strongest in the world.
[/quote]
Except after would war II and and a big chunk of the 70's :D

Exophase said:
Is there any chance someone could remove all the USA complaining posts from this thread? I don't actually care about off topic that much if it's at least a natural progression but the constant moaning is really ruining this thread for me :| Especially DaveC ;P
I'm A_SN and I approve this message.

hlide said:
And OMAP3430 is not a dual-core : there is _ONE_ and _only_ _ONE_ cpu.
Yay! No multi-core brainfucking programming! \o/ :D

OMars : At this point if you're gonna have that type of GUI just use X11

OMars said:

LINK

LINK

What do you guys think?

nice GUI! maybe you could make the both docks with the shortcuts scrollable (iphone like)
(!!!!! without scrollbars !!!!!)
touch and move up/down = scroll
touch and raise without moving = open program
:rolleyes:
exactly the size of icons i prefer!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back