Our New Machine, Pandora

Should this thread die?

• Yes, kill it now!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Maybe move it to off-topic?

• No, let it live until its natural death!

• Total voters

Status
Not open for further replies.
kevcal said:
True, you can be anyone you like on the internet...
Also I know someone who imports and sells Asian goods - he's definitely not capable of creating a new console... :)
In fact is this Craigix :)
Anyway, time will tell - we always knew it wouldn't be out before xmas..

Craig != Derek.

Last edited by a moderator:
Exophase said:
Look at MWeston's device.. it uses i.MX31 and has videos of it running. It's obviously not a hoax. If he wanted to and had the financial resources I'm sure he could get someone to mass produce it.
"If he wanted to and had the financial resources I'm sure he could get someone to mass produce it and then loose all that money he put into it" :D

Well, assuming craigix handheld is not an hoax, it still needs a solid business plan. I already asked about it but without any answer. I'm surprised no one talk about that. Surely you wouldn't craigix to be ruined ? :blink:

Deed said:
Exophase said:
Look at MWeston's device.. it uses i.MX31 and has videos of it running. It's obviously not a hoax. If he wanted to and had the financial resources I'm sure he could get someone to mass produce it.
"If he wanted to and had the financial resources I'm sure he could get someone to mass produce it and then loose all that money he put into it" :D

Well, assuming craigix handheld is not an hoax, it still needs a solid business plan. I already asked about it but without any answer. I'm surprised no one talk about that. Surely you wouldn't craigix to be ruined ? :blink:

Why should be publicly tell everyone all his financial details? Are you a majority share holder now?

On the other hand it seems pretty simple to me..

Business model:

1) Make a good device
2) Sell it
3) Profit

but you are asking for information that is private to the company!

What would be the benefit of posting an 80 page business plan on this forum when, no disrespect intended, it isn't any of your business?

I spent a lot of money designing my imx31 based handheld for the main purpose of showing it off to investors who had the cash to make it happen. When the OMAP deal was in the works, my ability to get things done earned me a position on the team for Craig's design.

Information will come out in due time. Yeah, it is kinda frustrating to know of a system being designed, but not get the details right away. The problem is that Craig posted info when his MMSP2+ design was nearing completion. Now that the project has taken a right turn into something so much better, it's almost like "oops, forget what you heard and give us a few months to get this one going!". :) But of course, community opinion is very important and so it has been a fun couple of months discussing what could be done with the project and obviously it isn't ignored. Some of the discussion has been a little extreme, but I think we are on track with what the majority want/need. ;)

I quote myself:

Eolair said:
Oh come on... You want his business plan now? Unless you're a pontential partner or financier I very much doubt he'll impart that information to you. Why would he ever? I'm not trying to be rude but it's none of your beeswax. And certainly not on this board ;)

MWeston said:
but you are asking for information that is private to the company!
I agree, this is confidential information and no one should disclose it, I just wonder if it exists at all. Craigix, from what I see, keeps telling that everything is ready or about to be : design, specs, preorders, dev boards, and so on ... but he never mentioned any business plan. After all, making hardware is a huge and expensive business, especially with high ends components. But I guess he's not a complete fool and already thought about that ...

Approximate business plan:

1) Buy components to make the machine: £x for z units

2) Rent a factory to put them together: £y for z units

3) Assume a comparable sales figure to (estimated) major body of GP2x sales (rationale being that those people turned off by the price will be compensated by new customers): ~30000

4) Sell at estimated figure of £160/unit (excluding VAT)

5) Approach investors, banks for initial investment assuming some is necessary for a figure of: £(x+y - personal financial commitment)

6) If 3) is correct (seems reasonable) overall gain is (30000 * (160-((x+y)/z))) - money paid back to bank (if applicable).

7) Gain for investors is their proportion of the initial capital of this end gain.

Obviously that's very very loose and very very obvious. It doesn't take into account the wholesale price, but apart from that, the principle seems reasonable. Crucial assumption is 3) which seems reasonable to me (although it might not to others).

In addition there would be marketing costs, but those only really apply to attracting the audience outside of this community (since it's free to stick a news item on the front page along with reviews of the system - releases of software essentially would act as viral marketing without any investment at all). Bear in mind that people like Craigix and Evildragon have already done the brunt of non-Korean marketing for the Western audience of the GP2x. They know how much that cost them, so they can make a reasonable inference to a similar figure for a future handheld.

Beyond that, which can of course be worked out with some commonsense, what should we expect to be told? I mean, come on, you don't ask about the business plan of any other venture unless you're actually planning on investing in it, do you? Do Sony/Nintendo/Microsoft disclose their perfectly itemised business plans? Does the company which owns Slashdot? Does Google? No, of course not! It's unfair to expect it.

I'm quite certain Craigix has one, because he's been in business for some time - assuming GBAx has been running since the early days of GBA cartridge writers, for at least 7 years, and possibly longer. QED he knows how business works. It just happens that this is a slightly different business to the pure retail one!

I see the guys behind the Gizmondo are going to release a "new and updated" console; I'm going to ask for there new business plan and if I don't get it I'm going to go round the 'net and post on every board calling them fraudsters.

Sound about right?

Hmm, actually, it probably is right, knowing there track record :D

Seriously though, this thing has been in development for over a year and Craig has already poured a lot of money into it. He's not just going to throw that money away, of course he's going to plow ahead and deliver something when the time is right (pointless rushing things and only getting half the sales you could of got).

Hi people :)

Well it certainly has been quite a while since I last posted, but I have to say that I am VERY interested in this new device being planned by Craig and others and I would just like to take the opportunity to genuinely wish you all the best in your endeavours :D

Despite the fact that some of the buttons are finally starting to wear out :lol: I still love my trusty original GP32 BLU gp32_console. I never actually got around to upgrading to the GP2X, partially because of the perceived stick issue which I was always hoping GPH might replace with something similar to the more precise micro-switched GP32 one. Then they finally release this cool shiny new White F200 with a Dpad-like button configuration B). So, I'm just on the cusp of finally ordering one of these babies when I hear some rumours about a mystery device codenamed 'Craiganator'.... :huh:

To say the least, looking at the proposed specs it certainly seems that the Craganator would be much more of an upgrade from a GP32 than the GP2X is :eek:. Furthermore, if the community got behind it then it would be an incredibly fun and versatile bit of kit to own :D. Also, I don't know about anyone else but I'm quite happy to pay some more money than the price of a GP2X if that means I end up with a more capable machine.

So good luck guys! I hope that everything works out so that you are able to provide a great little device to the community! :D I for one will definitely be keeping an eye on this! :lol:

supaimposter said:
Well there is no need to get your knickers in a twist DaveC, Just thought i'd post this info as its another new handheld coming out that the Craiginator will have to contend with.
Im looking forward to the Craiginator and when it comes out i will definatly buy one and for your information this isnt the first post i have made on this board so just calm done.
Also where did you get the specs for the new giz nobody knows what its gonna be like yet.
No twist. I just kind of notice that you don't post here unless it has to do with the Giz in some way or another. I own a Giz and it is the most poorly thought out handheld I have, I can see why it bombed. While they all have flaws, the Giz is absolute rubbish. They even found a way to bog down an otherwise fast CPU ;) If they only carry over half of the flaws to the new one it will blow. The Craiginator will probably be able to emulate it by turning off most of it's features :p

craigix said:
Cushty!

I'll be needing those addresses for next week. gp2xorders@gmail.com

Lovely Jubbly.
I am telling you this guy is just selling GP2X's there is no craigx!! LIES!!! :angry:

Good luck to the team. I am now officially convinced that this is going to happen. Who knows if it will be a success... doesn't matter to me, I want one! I think craig and the team can pull it off.

Also: I don't understand all the whining about it being a hoax or vapour-ware. You see, if someone doesn't have anything solid they can show off yet, they are actually not releasing information and making promises so that people will not feel hoaxed. I think that is just a very honest gesture. Instead of telling everyone how amazingly good the device will be, craig only gave a few hints about it's hardware. I can't see it to be his fault people have such high expectations. Why should you feel hoaxed if noone owes you anything? Craig doesn't have to make a shiny new handheld for you now, does he? So just sit still and stop whining until they are ready for god's sakes. It's like little ungrateful brats before christmas.

Axe_Murderer said:
Hi people :)

Well it certainly has been quite a while since I last posted, but I have to say that I am VERY interested in this new device being planned by Craig and others and I would just like to take the opportunity to genuinely wish you all the best in your endeavours :D

Despite the fact that some of the buttons are finally starting to wear out :lol: I still love my trusty original GP32 BLU gp32_console. I never actually got around to upgrading to the GP2X, partially because of the perceived stick issue which I was always hoping GPH might replace with something similar to the more precise micro-switched GP32 one. Then they finally release this cool shiny new White F200 with a Dpad-like button configuration B). So, I'm just on the cusp of finally ordering one of these babies when I hear some rumours about a mystery device codenamed 'Craiganator'.... :huh:

To say the least, looking at the proposed specs it certainly seems that the Craganator would be much more of an upgrade from a GP32 than the GP2X is :eek:. Furthermore, if the community got behind it then it would be an incredibly fun and versatile bit of kit to own :D. Also, I don't know about anyone else but I'm quite happy to pay some more money than the price of a GP2X if that means I end up with a more capable machine.

So good luck guys! I hope that everything works out so that you are able to provide a great little device to the community! :D I for one will definitely be keeping an eye on this! :lol:
Thanks, nice to here from you again. :lol:

Viking said:
craigix said:
Cushty!

I'll be needing those addresses for next week. gp2xorders@gmail.com

Lovely Jubbly.
I am telling you this guy is just selling GP2X's there is no craigx!! LIES!!! :angry:

I`ve read through your post quite a few times and fail to see any tangible facts to back-up your rather rude statement. Your last couple of posts and this topic you have created are bordering on the lines of trolling, If you don`t have anything constructive to post or feedback for the people who are replying to YOUR topic, DON`T BOTHER.

Trooper

A_SN said:
atomicthumbs said:
Yonkaku said:
atomicthumbs said:
And a real bonus would be reading of compressed files, like "craiginator.txt.gz" or whatnot. I often have multi-megabyte text files.

Will we be using a premade app for this, or developing our own?
Or how about just formatting your SD card to NTFS and use compression? Same thing, just a bit bigger.

edit: OH GOD PSX ROM COMPRESSION DONE EASY, I NEVER THOUGHT OF THAT.

NTFS + Linux + SD card + compression = sad computer and sad atomicthumbs.

I'd prefer to just be able to compress what I want with gzip. Maybe bzip2 as well, because of the higher compression ratio.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SquashFS
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cramfs
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JFFS2

All I want is file-by-file compression, not the whole FS. If nothing else, I guess I could do "bz2cat | less". :(

DaveC said:
carry over half of the flaws to the new one it will blow. The Craiginator will probably be able to emulate it by turning off most of it's features :p
But the question will be - will anyone actually want to? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back