[Outdated!] GP32x.com will be back soon!

Status
Not open for further replies.

EvilDragon

Administrator
Staff member
javaJake: Sorry folks, but this is out-dated. We need EvilDragon to unpin this thread, since we moderators don't have the proper permissions to do so here (which is very odd, since we can everywhere else).

As most of you know, gp32x.de is currently under DDOS.

I had a chat with hando and we will move the site to our new server within a few days.
This means: gp32x.de shall return soon! And it should be much faster than before.

We'll also try to find a way to import all those posts and threads here into gp32x.de.

Stay tuned :)

Last edited:
Re: gp32x.de will be back soon!

ED, its up now :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:

Ed, please don't instantly close these forums, it seems a lot of people like them, can we link them in somehow?

agreed, we need to link in these forums....
Can it be done?

we ought to have links to both forums on the forum page at openpandora

GP32X: 15230 registered members
Here: Total members 722
Manley%20Marley%20Seaga.jpg

gp2xs said:
GP32X: 15230 registered members
Here: Total members 722

Comparing apples with oranges.

722 people who are here just for the Pandora. With maybe a active rate of 95%.
15230 people who are there for the Pandora, GP32 etc, with maybe a active rate of 10% ( and thats grossly overstating matters ).
The amount of people online at any given time ( the last few weeks before the downtime ) at GP32X was about the same as here the last few days. Only on the order day, the amount has gone in the 450's at GP32X.

OpenPandora -> Pandora sales, support, and that means forum support also.
GP32X is a fan based 3th party site, with a broader content list.

And i say it again. A company that relies on a 3th party site, is going to get there hand bitten. GP32X going down during the pre-order period is something that can not be forgiven, because things like that cost sales. To many links, etc relied on GP32X, and the downtime has left to many people who are NOT part of the community with a nasty first impression during the order rush time.

why would anyone DDOS the site? Who?

benjiro said:
And i say it again. A company that relies on a 3th party site, is going to get there hand bitten. GP32X going down during the pre-order period is something that can not be forgiven, because things like that cost sales. To many links, etc relied on GP32X, and the downtime has left to many people who are NOT part of the community with a nasty first impression during the order rush time.
and all of those people are coming from communities where everyone knows about the slashdot/digg/fark/engadget/kotaku/somethingawful/4chan/gizmodo/pennyarcade/whatever effect/

benjiro said:
Cut Hando some slack. He's paid for and maintained the GP32X forums for nearly six years, without taking donations or posting ads. Blaming somebody for their ISP taking their site down due to a DDOS attack is completely uncalled for.

The Pandora project lost little to nothing from having the forums down for a couple days. The first batch sold out and then some, and anybody who got scared off by the lack of forums can just wait until the second batch.

Chip said:
benjiro said:
Cut Hando some slack. He's paid for and maintained the GP32X forums for nearly six years, without taking donations or posting ads. Blaming somebody for their ISP taking their site down due to a DDOS attack is completely uncalled for.

The Pandora project lost little to nothing from having the forums down for a couple days. The first batch sold out and then some, and anybody who got scared off by the lack of forums can just wait until the second batch.

Have you guys actually track down what organization DDOS'ed the site? Why would anyone want to DDOS the site in the first place? Are we doing anything stupid, "annoying", etc?

DDOSing takes A LOT of effort to actually get people over irc/boards to communicate, let your computer sit and do nothing for a day or two(this means that the attacker(s) are willing to give up what they do on the computer for a day), and actually have a group of people(depending how big the site is) fire their cannons(usually through a proxy, but some people are stupid and don't fire through a proxy.)

"Organization" :lol:
i still don't think that site was DDoS'd. just doesn't work like that. unless Hando has quite a few grudges on efnet...

also you really don't have any knowledge about DDoS's.

PoisonedV said:
"Organization" :lol:
i still don't think that site was DDoS'd. just doesn't work like that. unless Hando has quite a few grudges on efnet...

also you really don't have any knowledge about DDoS's.

Anyone can have knowledge on DDOSing... I learned it in one day from 2 pages 2 years ago. It is so easy to do there are even GUI client apps. Anyone can do it, but it is highly illegal unlike raeping etc.

"Organization" is the wrong word(was trying to type something else); I meant the "culprit"

polkunus said:
Chip said:
benjiro said:

Have you guys actually track down what organization DDOS'ed the site? Why would anyone want to DDOS the site in the first place? Are we doing anything stupid, "annoying", etc?

DDOSing takes A LOT of effort to actually get people over irc/boards to communicate, let your computer sit and do nothing for a day or two(this means that the attacker(s) are willing to give up what they do on the computer for a day), and actually have a group of people(depending how big the site is) fire their cannons(usually through a proxy, but some people are stupid and don't fire through a proxy.)

two words...

BOT NET

nuf said.

EDIT: or Zombie Net, depends on where you're from

Lennox Rosomer said:
two words...

BOT NET

nuf said.

EDIT: or Zombie Net, depends on where you're from

oh yah... :wacko:

Does craig and co really want to be seen promoting the use of emulators on a forum they own and operate? By having all the emulator discussion on a third party site it is much easier to use the "the scene did it" defense. But when you own the forum and have control over its content can you do the same?

Personally i believe that this form should be kept while the old posts from the GP32x forms be grabbed and converted into an archive of some sort (in an" Archive" subform here)

just my two cents

EvilDragon said:
We'll also try to find a way to import all those posts and threads here into gp32x.de.
That's great to hear. I think that's the best thing to do.

I think a big part of the reason why some people like these forums more is that there are more subforums for Pandora. It shouldn't be too hard/controversial to add them in on GP32X too...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back