Ouya - Android based open gaming console

Have to add a difference in there when comparing.
OP is something new and unique till this day, what they ouya is selling is nothing new at all.

It is new when you consider all the peices its bringing together. Ive seen all of its parts and ideals around individually before but nobody has brought them together like that in one package like this before. I agree its not as unique as the pandora. But it shouldnt be discarded as a clone of another product.

Unless you have an example?

Sent from my MB612 using Tapatalk 2

To Ouya or not Ouya, that's the question for the next few hours. I'm on the fence.

I think i might pass for now... the lack of expandable memory is killing me. I may wait for another version that is bound to come later. 8GB isnt enough for my retro gaming needs considering i have about 32GB of game roms on i rotate though all my current consoles.

I know i could hack in a cifs module for network storeage or use a removeable usb drive/stick or even a usb to sdcard adapter, i kind of just want a all in one solution though.

My eye is on a similar idea... vizio costar and use a ps3 controller instead. So i dont know both would work for my own personal needs, just trying to figure out which is more attractive to me.

The vizio costar looks like a good solution, didn´t know about it thanks!

I will skip the ouya for now too, all my needs are currently getting filled by what I currently have.

But I´m in great curiosity on how this will shape up as time comes by.

edit: I´m reading its specs, is it a masked android?

Heck, it seems to be...and also on pre-order... :(

Last edited by a moderator:
Its a google tv box, but its android through and through. Compatible with all android apps, its default interface is just not the normal launcher youre used to seeing.

I have a sony google tv also and i have it running a lot of the same programs my phone does, the only exception being the sony box is x86 so its not compatible with the android emulators because of their heavy dependance on arm hardware through use of ndk.

The costar is a marvell chipset arm v7 with neon and other android emulator important hardware, and from what i gather pretty powerful so thats why i like it above most of the other android set top boxes.

My only question is how it will stack up agianst the tegra 3... im not expecting the same level of performance, im just curios how much of a difference is it?

emulation performance

google play > ouya store as far as content

EDIT: the vizio co-star has a marvell armada 1500 w/ a vivante GC1000 gpu

Whats interesting about that vizio co-star is the price $99 for the Android Box with a double sided remote with touch pad. Just ads weight perhaps that the Ouya is achievable for that same price

An android tablet + tv cable + joy + google play? :p

Yep, their peicing together is unique if sucessfuly done.

the unique part is all that sold together for only 99$ (through I'll love seing the price after the first production...)

Thats it , it's all done. The Ouya KS is over.

They finished with 63,283 backers and raised $8,581,681. Looks like they will be building 60,000 Ouya's

Have to add a difference in there when comparing.

OP is something new and unique till this day, what they ouya is selling is nothing new at all.
Have to disagree with you there - they are inviting hackers . If my understanding of the word is correct that means its locked down in some ways but only to provide a challenge I like a challenge :) whereas the Open Pandora is not locked down so modifying it's software ( or whatever ... ) is normal use . Of course I could be misenterpating their use of of the term(s) hacking , hacker to mean hardware instead of software as I believe they are Incoraging hardware hacking something unheard of ( to me at least ) whereas as plenty of software is " open "

They finished with 63,283 backers and raised $8,581,681. Looks like they will be building 60,000 Ouya's
Ahh I wanted one I thought I heard that these ones were the ones they were giving their donors and that they going to make to sell at retail .

There must be some grace time on KS as people are still pledging some 1.5 hours after close. I went through the pledge process 30 minutes after it closed and managed to get all the way through to the commit point

Their nightmare is about to begin :) They have to deal with 60,000 people who want their console, many of them asap.

I'm pretty sure they will get some VC backing to help with it all, but wow, this must be the biggest preorder list of all time?

For a console? I couldnt find anything

But i was scoping vgchartz and they got some pretty impressive preorder numbers

Aparently diablo 3 preorders were up to 2 million

I heard on some site that they are going to do pre orders from there site soon (when it's up). The pre orders will be delivered in April as opposed to the kick starter units that are meant to be delivered in March . I guess they want to build more. I hope they have eaten there meat

Their nightmare is about to begin :) They have to deal with 60,000 people who want their console, many of them asap.

I'm pretty sure they will get some VC backing to help with it all, but wow, this must be the biggest preorder list of all time?

OP - 3+ years and still nothing. Let's see if I will get OP first or Ouya ;)

Back