Ouya - Android based open gaming console

Thats it , it's all done. The Ouya KS is over.

They finished with 63,283 backers and raised $8,581,681. Looks like they will be building 60,000 Ouya's

Their nightmare is about to begin :) They have to deal with 60,000 people who want their console, many of them asap.

I'm pretty sure they will get some VC backing to help with it all, but wow, this must be the biggest preorder list of all time?

OP - 3+ years and still nothing. Let's see if I will get OP first or Ouya ;)
Well you could upgrade your order and get the Pandora faster..

Last edited by a moderator:
Have to add a difference in there when comparing.

OP is something new and unique till this day, what they ouya is selling is nothing new at all.
Have to disagree with you there - they are inviting hackers . If my understanding of the word is correct that means its locked down in some ways but only to provide a challenge I like a challenge :) whereas the Open Pandora is not locked down so modifying it's software ( or whatever ... ) is normal use . Of course I could be misenterpating their use of of the term(s) hacking , hacker to mean hardware instead of software as I believe they are Incoraging hardware hacking something unheard of ( to me at least ) whereas as plenty of software is " open "

..and I have to agree, they actually have some unique stuff mixed up, I was thinking more about core hardware only, but it is not fair that way, we should think about the whole idea and no isolated parts.

They finished with 63,283 backers and raised $8,581,681. Looks like they will be building 60,000 Ouya's

Their nightmare is about to begin :) They have to deal with 60,000 people who want their console, many of them asap.

I'm pretty sure they will get some VC backing to help with it all, but wow, this must be the biggest preorder list of all time?

OP - 3+ years and still nothing. Let's see if I will get OP first or Ouya ;)
Well you could upgrade your order and get the Pandora faster..

Hmm, what? Does Ouya asking me to "upgrade" to get it on time? I don't think so they will not. And I will wait for my batch1 OP till I will receive it. Just now I will have a fun with a time race OP vs Ouya :)

Hmm, what? Does Ouya asking me to "upgrade" to get it on time? I don't think so they will not. And I will wait for my batch1 OP till I will receive it.
So you expect the ouya team to meet their March deadline ?

I actually dont. As far as we know :

- they dont have a real prototype ( but the demo standard nvidia tegra3 board) but the engenering of this will be uneasy

- they dont have a final case, let alone mould to build them. Anyway, you need the previous done before creating the mould (to make sure the board will fit)

- they dont have any manufacturers, but setting up a production chain and getting reliable results is hard, costly and long process. beside 60k units is either too low for large production company or too high for small one. Finding the rights partners here will be tough (need a case company, a board one and an assembly one).

OPT were more advanced than that when they have started the pre-order...

And I'm sure they can manage this without much trouble, if they choose the right companies and have alot professional help. 60K is nothing compared to the Millions of XBoxes, Wiis or Playstations that left the factories. Like OP-Team also found out, it is much easier and cheaper to order bigger batches than small series productions. OUYA may start even with 100K Units and I'm sure this can drop parts prices alot.

@sebt3 their mold looks very generic when it comes to actual parts.

As long as all its parts fit on the board i cant see them not able to have the consoles not ready by march. In the console discection its mainly just a square components box with a button on top, plastic strip for the port holes and 4 screw holes to hold the board down and 4 more to hold the top down to the bottom.

Its a really simple design as far as the case is concerned.

In contrast to the pandora it had tons of really complex peices. That i think made the process take forever.

Looks like they already have a prototype pcb from the looks of the video.

The controller part is another story if they see delays it will probably be because of that i think.

Sent from my MB612 using Tapatalk 2

The electrical design shouldn't be that hard either if they're just making minor modifications to the nVidia Tegra 3 reference board, which I assume they've been provided schematics and layout information for.

If anything's going to cause their timeframe to slip I'd expect it to be software.. assuming they have the good sense to delay rather than release anything especially buggy.

I doubt they see delays and they probably might ship a month or two sooner.

The software side is the deal delayer for me, put up a store and get the main guys in.

Lots on the industry promises NDA and bla bla, just to get the propaganda wagon, if they actually release for it is what I wanna see.

edit:eek:ps Exophase beat me.

These guys know what they are doing, and their successful PR and press coverage has impressed me most of all. Just look at how Eurogamer has changed from negative to positive. With a tonne of cash, solid partners a the momentum they have gained, this will might just be the most successful open console to date.

The bonus here being that if pandora2 can emulate the Ouya controls, then we will have a large library of Android games that might work on the new OPT unit. (like Icp icade mode).

Anyway, the possibility of a cheap HTPC, Retro emulators, onlive demos and indie game box under my TV for just $100 is compelling. I wish them all the luck in the world for the next critical phase.

Yeah, I bet their main problem is going to be on the software side, specially games if they do want to launch with anything exclusive.

What is so new/revolutionary about Ouya? Just take a cheap PC without keyboard, mouse, monitor; add a good video card and a USB gamepad, and voila, you got yourself an open gaming console. Should be doable for $100 if you omit (like Ouya) things like a hard disk, dvd drive etc.

What is so new/revolutionary about Ouya?

Nothing, really. I think the success they had is mostly based on...

1. It's cheap.

2. It's got Android.

3. It's supposed to be a system you just buy and are ready to go.

Yes, anyone with experience can build his own PC nowadays, but you need to frickle around, setup the OS, etc.

This is aimed at users who just want to connect and play.

There's nothing similar for this price.

While this is nothing new / spectacular for most visitors here (I bet most of the users on the Pandora boards have fun building something like this themselves), it is something new for anyone who has no clue how to build a cheap PC.

OPTeam could at least learn from their polished Marketing. ;)

Yesterdy, OUYA even was in a short report on german TV News (RTL2) at primetime. I still miss the Pandora getting this attention. ^^

Ouya is exactly what I was hoping the Apple TV would somehow pan out to be through the magic of jail-breaking.

It's definitely something I'll look into buying after keeping a close eye on it in its early years of life.

A casual console of its ilk has a fair chance of eroding the mainstream console market. There's a lot of untapped potential there, still, and with mainstream consoles making inroads towards being general-purpose entertainment platforms with games you can't re-sell it's possible the two ideas may meet in the middle.

Everyone with an iPad and Apple TV thought it when the Wii U was revealed; "I already have that...?"

The Ouya was also mentiont in the "Letsplaytogether" Live Stream Show from the 2 popular German Lets Players "Gronkh" and "Sarazarlp"

I ditnt watch the Show everymore, because my PC or my Internet seems to have some Problems whit Flash Videos since a couble Weeks, i can only watch Youtube Videos at 240 p, on both devices: PC and Xperia Smartphone..

The Pandora wasnt Mentiont in the Show until now, this is realy sad,

And Gronkh is a Retrogamer who has a lot of games...

For me, the Ouya isnt that usefull as i m a Handheldgamer, but it has a lot puplicity, ..

But i dont know, whit the help from kickstarter, the Ouya Team has a lot more Mony to make the Ouya than Openpandora ever had, so it shouldn be a problem for they, to delifer the console fast to they customers,

The Problem of the Pandora Produktion was the lack of Money, there was only the Money from the Preorders so no wonder why the Ouya Team would have less Problems than the Pandora team had..

It's pretty lame for a set-top box that shouldn't be all that constrained by spacing of USB ports to only have one. The SoC itself probably has more than one natively, never mind what you'd get with an internal hub.

they're saving costs on the device.

most users wont connect anything to the USB port anyway.

What is so new/revolutionary about Ouya?

Nothing, really. I think the success they had is mostly based on...

1. It's cheap.

2. It's got Android.

3. It's supposed to be a system you just buy and are ready to go.

Yes, anyone with experience can build his own PC nowadays, but you need to frickle around, setup the OS, etc.

This is aimed at users who just want to connect and play.

There's nothing similar for this price.

While this is nothing new / spectacular for most visitors here (I bet most of the users on the Pandora boards have fun building something like this themselves), it is something new for anyone who has no clue how to build a cheap PC.
You know what the Ouya is the perfect home console in a way cheap , android , instant access to games , and appeals to parents who don't want to pay pay a whole lotta $€£¥ for Lil Bobby likes and can't complete licensed games collection

You know what the Ouya is the perfect home console in a way cheap , android , instant access to games , and appeals to parents who don't want to pay pay a whole lotta $€£¥ for Lil Bobby likes and can't complete licensed games collection

Yep, as said. But it's nothing spectactular or revolutionary.

Back