Ouya - Android based open gaming console

If this is an open console, I would think you can snatch the drivers from it or the whole kernel. Then use it with another android mod.

All the talk about being open notwithstanding I have to wonder if they're really going to give out the source code to their store, DRM mechanisms, etc..

Hearing unconfirmed rumors that the Ouya will use the T33 Tegra 3 chip which runs at 1.6Ghz per core.
What about the GPU? Since that's a part where Tegra III lags behind. It's behind even Adreno nowadays, now imagine will into 2013...

Last edited by a moderator:
If this is an open console, I would think you can snatch the drivers from it or the whole kernel. Then use it with another android mod.

All the talk about being open notwithstanding I have to wonder if they're really going to give out the source code to their store, DRM mechanisms, etc..

I don't think so, but why should they prevent access to the controller, as it is one main part of the whole thing?

I don't think so, but why should they prevent access to the controller, as it is one main part of the whole thing?

To encourage people to buy stuff off the OUYA store rather than using the controller with non-OUYA Android games.

Lots of large game companies saying they like this, some are announcing porting their existing Android games (for those who don't know FF3 is on Android already), but I wonder how many will be ready to put any kind of new money towards it..

Yep. So far, nothing real "special" has been showed to us.

The Android version of Final Fantasy 3 doesn't use touchscreen controls, but a virtual stick on touchscreen... so... just remove the OSD, put in Ouya gaming controls, and the game is finished.

Not really a big deal of work :)

It would be already a huge success if game companies would "just" port their "old stuff" to our Pandora. ;) But we are far away from this, sadly.

Well, a port to a different OS needs time and money, the userbase for the Pandora is too little for that.

Porting an Android game to Android is not even port... they simply need to change the controls.

If the source code is properly coded, this is a 1-hour job.

Square doesn't really need much time but can use the current publicity of the Ouya to sell more of the already released FF3 app :)

I'm pretty sure you can play the exact same FF3 from Android on the Pandora using the Gingerbread PND as well... GameKeyboard should work here for the controls.

So you HAVE the game already on your Pandora.

This shows another issue though:

This is an Android game - it shouldn't even need an Ouya version, it should run out of the box.

A special Ouya version is only needed to change the controls... and this is exactly what I fear: Standard Android games that don't support Ouya controls will need something like the GameKeyboard.

Hearing unconfirmed rumors that the Ouya will use the T33 Tegra 3 chip which runs at 1.6Ghz per core.
What about the GPU? Since that's a part where Tegra III lags behind. It's behind even Adreno nowadays, now imagine will into 2013...

The GPU is built on the Tegra III..

I know, I'm asking if the GPU part of Tegra III is upgraded in the T33, since the one in the current Tegra III devices is behind the competition NOW, not to mention by mid 2013. Did you miss my mention of Adreno?

A special Ouya version is only needed to change the controls... and this is exactly what I fear: Standard Android games that don't support Ouya controls will need something like the GameKeyboard.

I fear more having to rebuy my android games in order to play them on Ouya. Might as well conect my Phone to my Tv and play them with an iControlPad.

Well, a port to a different OS needs time and money, the userbase for the Pandora is too little for that.

Porting an Android game to Android is not even port... they simply need to change the controls.

If the source code is properly coded, this is a 1-hour job.
The point was, that big Companies already "bite" at a potential Userbase of ~45K people. That was the surprise for me. I see a Pandora Market around 50-100K people if the Marketing does it right so the old clichee of "we are to small" does not count anymore in case of the Pandora. :)

And yes, the porting is not the problem but the licensing is. It's a very important point. For Example, we already have a very polished Angry Birds Port in pnd form for Pandora, it runs without Android and without overclocking completely smooth and perfect. Problem is, this port is just illegal.

LEGAL professinal games in PND form are the much more interesting thing. I agree, that Pandora Android is a very promising thing and opens the Gate to alot of great Software. However, it needs some more polishing, more easy and save handling on Pandora and more Android Games need direct support for Gaming controlls, including Analog Pads. OUYA could help there indirectly as well.

I really see alot of potential there, for the benefit of the Pandora too. :)

Well, I'm sure that it the Ouya wasn't running on Android no FFIII would have been anounced.

I know, I'm asking if the GPU part of Tegra III is upgraded in the T33, since the one in the current Tegra III devices is behind the competition NOW, not to mention by mid 2013. Did you miss my mention of Adreno?

You could look at the link I provided it does have details on the T33.. And yes compared to the first Tegra III It does have several improvements. I didn't miss the mention of the Adreno, in fact you mentioning in the sentence made me think you were under the impression the GPU was a seperate device.

That said I'm not aware of the performance of the Adreno, so I can't compare.

To answer your question, Lonely1, the GPU doesn't receive any direct improvements. Slightly faster memory is supported. This may help GPU performance some of the time; unlike most of its contemporaries Tegra 3 only has a single 32-bit memory channel, and its GPU design is more memory hungry than all of its competitors as well. But we're only talking a maximum improvement of 6.7%, assuming that both the devices you've seen benchmarked and OUYA are using the fastest possible memory. OUYA may go slower if it saves costs, while the benchmarked devices may have been using slower LPDDR2 to save power.

No, it's a response to Android and others ie I made a comment re: 8gb which was questioned thus I was clarifying above that it's referring to internal storage. The rest is responding to Android's comments above. At this time you're probaly not reading this but ... That clarifies it .
Ok that was a weird glitch it thought I was editing that which was above ...

I find it strange they keep announcing stuff thats already available on Android, its like bringing out a new smartphone and announcing the whole backlog of software on the playstore.

I find it strange they keep announcing stuff thats already available on Android, its like bringing out a new smartphone and announcing the whole backlog of software on the playstore.

Weeeelll... only "Ouya-optimized" stuff.

Similar to what the Xperia Play did, not?

In my opinion it will just be some random android console and I feel the price will go up after that, using this low price as a way to enter market... but theses are only speculation and I really hope they'll succeed and prove I'm wrong

I can see why they are annouceing already released software.... they might/probally won't include the android market out of the box, so partnership or developers promising to allow them to distribute their app in their market on launch is good for the ouya

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk 2

Ok, some Ouya news today and interview that answers some questions.

Firstly they have announced Vevo is onboard so that you will be able to watch music videos. They have also announced a new limited edition brown Ouya for $140.

This update seems to have given the project new life and the Kickstarter has jumped now to over $6.2 Million raised.

Here's the engadget story on the above announcements:. It's also in there Kickstarter update

http://www.engadget....l-console-vevo/

Also, here's another interview with the Ouya Founder:

http://ouyaforum.com...omplete-Q-amp-A

Looks like games have to be on the Ouya store to be purchased. This ensures they are compatible with the Ouya and no doubt ensures revenue for Ouya .

a new limited edition brown Ouya

bleh__disgusting__by_nintendude64-d34gfjb.gif

Are we commenting on the brown color?

Must admit , I'm no fan of brown, however, 2400 people over the last 8 hours suggest at least some people are

Back