Ouya - Android based open gaming console

I reckon they should go real wood cladding with brass fittings & geras and go for a steam punk look. But thats just me, I like steam punk.

I reckon they should go real wood cladding with brass fittings & geras and go for a steam punk look. But thats just me, I like steam punk.

This would be perfect.

It seems to me their design is going to allow skinning in a very simple way, ate least over the scratched metal parts, should you glue a decal, or cut wood or acrilic on that according to that one picture on how things fit.

a new limited edition brown Ouya
I agree 125 percent ! Although a steampunked console would be the stuff of dreams

bleh__disgusting__by_nintendude64-d34gfjb.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Something that hadnt occured to me untill just now... that $100 might just be a kickstarter thing... the pebble eink watch had a $115-120 "kickstarter" price with virtually no limit of devices sold, and now its retailing for $150... so the ouya might take a similar route once this hits market for a significantly higher retail....

Also similar to the pandoras history if you think about it, just these guys are actually stating they are still in design phase

Sent from my MB612 using Tapatalk 2

Then they're playing a very dangerous game. The Pebble was kickstarter sold pretty much at-cost (probably still making some profit, even) to basically fund the thing, and then they increased it afterwards to start turning a higher profit. People here are pointing out that for what they want to put into it, the Ouya is being under-priced: not only are they not making profit, they are losing money on the sale. That money has to come from somewhere eventually. If that is their plan, to bump up the price post kickstarter, then they're hoping that they will sell enough post kickstarter to break even following the kickstarter losses, and odds are they'll be in a similar position that OPT is currently in where they need to sell in order to keep shipping previous orders.

I think the combination of a profitable software distrobution beans they can have more of a cusion plus they seem to be geared more twoards the mass market rather than niche. 48,000 backers vs 4000 originally for pandora, you could even say they at least doubled their"dev client base after they had an actual product.

As long as they stay under the magic "$300" price tag ive seen assioated with game consoles they should maintain a good following.

Like you say they are playing a dangerous game, but i think they are playing with much more money than they are giving the impression they have. The project has too "big" of members lead designer on the kindle for example... even though they only seemed to be focusing on end users and basically putting a original 200 console limit for developers... i think this was intended as a hype/dev project even though they say it is for actual funding for hardware development

Sent from my MB612 using Tapatalk 2

As has been said several times before in this thread, rarely is the Kickstarter price the retail price. It is a come and get it while its cheap price to get the project of the ground . It's the incentive for every project more or less on Kickstarter, otherwise people would wait until the release. A lot of time the project will say the price will be higher so get in now.

Also, the average is more like at least $120 per console with one controller. I did a calc several pages back. Need to factor in those pledges that payed more. I doubt they will be making a loss on each one even at $120, but time will tell. I guess when you look at Onlive, I seem to remember they gave away controllers and box's for a while to start of there user base. Now that was a true loss, but they have made some serious money now.

Agree with @Android on the suspicious that they have more money than they are playing.

In fact, I believe they are able to even reduce that price muuuuch further, but not on kickstart.

They might have to use the card ´price reduction´ when releasing next year depending on the competition.

Could be a problem on pissing base 8 months waiters of old prices.

A handheld capable of doing such similar on the 120$ level is available today+control and screen.

I wonder how that will resolve march next year.

They could get developers in, but getting IP in is harder.

No one that owns famous IP pays to be in , they get payed for that and it costs horrors.

Then they're playing a very dangerous game. The Pebble was kickstarter sold pretty much at-cost (probably still making some profit, even) to basically fund the thing, and then they increased it afterwards to start turning a higher profit. People here are pointing out that for what they want to put into it, the Ouya is being under-priced: not only are they not making profit, they are losing money on the sale. That money has to come from somewhere eventually. If that is their plan, to bump up the price post kickstarter, then they're hoping that they will sell enough post kickstarter to break even following the kickstarter losses, and odds are they'll be in a similar position that OPT is currently in where they need to sell in order to keep shipping previous orders.

They will sell Ouya at Walmart or BestBuy for higher price.

Sent from my Notion Ink ADAM using Tapatalk 2

There's that difference where it will support the Ouya's controller I guess, as opposed to an android touch control only version.

I guess when you look at Onlive, I seem to remember they gave away controllers and box's for a while to start of there user base. Now that was a true loss, but they have made some serious money now.

Is there any source that states that OnLive has made any money yet? Because I believe they are still living on invtesestments based on "future potential" and patent portfolio. Because I doubt the amount of games they are selling, at the price they are selling them, are enough to cover operational cost of their service, let alone cover the development expenses and all that free stuff they gave away.

Now, back to Ouya, while OnLive do have potential and probably a healthy amount of patents for the all the on the cloud computing future, I don't see much future for Ouya other than another smart tv setup, but this comes with a gaming controller. The price is right for that. BTW, I believe that Google box thing will totally flop at $300.

There's that difference where it will support the Ouya's controller I guess, as opposed to an android touch control only version.

The Android version supports gamepads.. OnLive even sells their own pad.

Back