Over 2 years since I paid for a Pandora - Should I cancel?

stuart

I've been following this project as much as I can (busy with freelance work) over the years... what a ride, but I'm starting to think that I may never get this device - and if I do, is it still relevant with the way smart phones have developed since 2009?

I must admit - having been promised delivery within 6 months in Feb 2010 I was actually angry when more money was asked for just to get the machine... I wouldn't have minded paying a little more back then, but to take the order, promise delivery within the year, wait 2 years and ask for more money - while I fully understand whats going on here and still support the project, I couldn't help feeling bad about it.

I did try and get involved with the community, especially with the dev side offering original music whenever I was between TV projects (This is my full time job, I've written music for the upcoming Megastructures show on the London Olympics, America:Story of Us for History channel, and a bunch of National Geographic documentaries) - Just because I've not got time to hang out here every day I was ignored so maybe its time for me to just cancel the order. Still in half a mind as I wanted one of these and to be part of this so badly. Always loved homebrew gadgets, love collecting retro computing gear....

Hmmmm

Anyway I've finally re signed up for this forum (couldn't get in on my old account) so I'll reacquaint myself with everything thats going on.

I've been following this project as much as I can (busy with freelance work) over the years... what a ride, but I'm starting to think that I may never get this device - and if I do, is it still relevant with the way smart phones have developed since 2009?

Will you get it?

Well we're hoping to produce 1000 Pandoras a month at <2% failure, so it seems quite possible you'll get it in Two MonthsTM time.

Is it still relevant?

It runs real Linux, it has (good) built in gaming controls, it has a keyboard, It has some 1st class, optimized emulator ports, it has full USB host, its not full of spyware while fitting in your pocket. If thats what you want, the Pandora is unique.

Sure, it hasn't got the processing gumph of an iProduct, but it makes much better use of what it's got - seen a desktop environment on a telephone lately?

"more money was asked for just to get the machine"

No, more money was asked for to get the machine earlier. Everyone who ordered will get a Pandora.

---

The Pandoras being shipped now have more RAM, and better software than when you ordered.

True power management, slick PND downloading/launching and DSP access are all approaching rapidly

Last edited by a moderator:
Is it still relevant?

It runs real Linux, it has (good) built in gaming controls, it has a keyboard, It has some 1st class, optimized emulator ports, it has full USB host, its not full of spyware. If thats what you want, the Pandora is unique.

You know what, that is EXACTLY what I want!

Then just wait. I've had my two Pandoras since the very first shipment, and they have been extremely good devices, in my opinion. Absolutely great machines, and they're not out-dated by any stretch of the word. Sure, there are faster consumer devices out there with multiple cores, Android OS, iOS and so on .. but none of these machines can host their own development environment, and the scene around the Pandora software is pretty unique. Be patient, when you get your Pandora finally you will be happy you got it.

I do have an iPhone 4s now - which is fine - from a business point of view it does its job quickly and never requires tweaking or messing around with - but thats no fun when you've got spare time and you want to play with gadgets!

Actually - ideally I want an effortless way to bring my arcade machine with me where ever I go - but I don't think I'd get it out of the door!

Actually - ideally I want an effortless way to bring my arcade machine with me where ever I go - but I don't think I'd get it out of the door!

You could try carrying an iCade in your backpack ;)

http://www.goodsounds.co.uk/arcade

I don't own an iPad - My Mum got an iCade for Christmas though - they are really well built things. Naa - I just need a team of assistants with a sack truck and a generator following me around - If I was silly rich I think I'd do that for a week just to see peoples reactions.

http://www.goodsounds.co.uk/arcade

I don't own an iPad - My Mum got an iCade for Christmas though - they are really well built things. Naa - I just need a team of assistants with a sack truck and a generator following me around - If I was silly rich I think I'd do that for a week just to see peoples reactions.

Of course if you don't want to carry a big heavy generator around with you, 20 car batteries will do nicely :D

You know, if you could find 4 to 6 friends to pull that off, you could just switch roles every day for a week, so everyone gets his turn :D

EDIT: My point was: If everybody gets a turn, you can do this without paying each other xP

I ordered back in January of 2010 when they said they were right around the corner from mass production and there were only a few slots left of the first batch. That was back when you had to be waiting over two years for your unit before you were taken seriously. Ah, those were the days... Anyway, your concerns have run through my mind as well. And the threads about things breaking don't give me a lot of confidence either. I ultimately decided to stay on because I wanted a handheld that runs full Linux and I wanted to support a company that was willing to take the chance on making that possible . I guess you could debate the second point, since my unit is coming in below cost, but I make no excuses.

Same here - funny thing is I reckon us batch one tail enders will end up waiting the longest of all. I always felt unable to moan because I hadn't ordered on day one...

A (slightly) more practical way of gernerating power would be for some of you not playing on a given day to cycle around with the cabinet, then when someone wants to play, you each disengage the pedals-wheel drive system and direct power to a dynamo; then pedal hard while someone has a game of space invaders B)

In Two Months it will be Two Years since my order... with real potential I get mine in Two Months time i feel im in a good even ocd satisfying place now.

I've long accepted I'll get it when I get it, and believe it will still be the best of all my devices when I do, for the reasons stated above - it's a very special unique box of tricks

I'd say hold on waiting.

Sounds like you would be the perfect person to work on some game music too from your work experience, perhaps you didnt get much response to your offer back then but that could change as more and more people get their Pandora's and more people develop stuff. Even with the plenty good progs already it's still relatively early days eh

Well, this june I will have had mine for 2 years, and it still rocks like it did 2 years ago. This is a long term device like a DS or PSP. It is not an every year upgrade item like an iPhone or iPad. I've got a PSP, Vita, DS, DSxl, ipod touch 32gb 3rd gen, and a Samsung Galaxy S2 and my Pandora has gotten more use in the last 2 years than any of these other devices(well I have been using my Vita a lot, but it's new) :p .

Those of you who have waited are getting a better quality machine(as I had to send back my unit twice), and way more mature software and emu's. Since it's launch 2 years ago, or it's conception in the last 5, there is still nothing that comes close. Yes, there are many devices that have more power and can do more, depending on your need, but for true classic gaming with proper controls, the Pandora CAN"T BE BEAT! I only use mine for gaming and it is beyond great, but many others use it for just about everything and they will tell you it shines in many other areas as well.

So I would say wait, unless your strapped for cash, as the Pandora is still all it was promised to be from 5 years ago and then some. The Vita is the only thing to come along that may beat it at some point(due to raw power, and proper touch screen, and controls), but the hoops you'll have to jump thru if that ever should happen, won't make it nearly as fun overall.

Chris

I did try and get involved with the community, especially with the dev side offering original music whenever I was between TV projects (This is my full time job, I've written music for the upcoming Megastructures show on the London Olympics, America:Story of Us for History channel, and a bunch of National Geographic documentaries) - Just because I've not got time to hang out here every day I was ignored so maybe its time for me to just cancel the order. Still in half a mind as I wanted one of these and to be part of this so badly. Always loved homebrew gadgets, love collecting retro computing gear....

ok i'm just sitting on the train and reading this just forces me to answer. i'm the coder of paperwars (look in the development section please) and we are desperately looking for a music guy! i was not often here on the forum until recently while i was doing an early port of final burn alpha. so i very likely just missed your post! so i your offer is still valid pm me or traylorpark please :)

and dont jump off the bandwagon, the pandora is a great little device. playing fba will make you a happy man :)

*edit*

now being back at home ... here's the paperwars thread on this board ...

then the thread on the gp32x.de board ... http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/59360-paper-wars/ ...

and http://riotandpark.com/blog/ is our (not so often) updated blog if you need some more information ;)

Hey, I'm also a musician! My latest release is with my band "restless ear syndrome", and you can hear one of our latest tracks on this compilation:

http://aufnahmeundwiedergabe.bandcamp.com/releases

And some more of our stuff here:

(Sorry for the off-topic.. maybe we can all meet in a music-related thread elsewhere?)

Back