Overclocking The Gp2x

vaustein

Hi,

Some of my AVI movies, not all, experience frame rate drops throughout most of play. Is there a way to overclock the movie player natively? If not, what is the name and location of the movie player binary, so I can overclock it with cpuspeed?

You can change the clockspeed to 133, 166 and 200 MHz by pressing "Y" in the player's file selection screen.

Full=200MHz, Normal=166MHz and Save=133MHz.

I don't know the mplayer's path, but i believe you'd have to make a overclock script for every single file you want to play.

Would it be possible to add more speed...like 233, 266 and 300MHz.
I heard someone was able to add codecs to mplayer, so some speed would not be too hard, maybe

Thanks

see you :lol:

You can overclock the movieplayer if you download the new version of the movieplayer (http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showtopic=30454) and then create a launcher script like this:

#!/bin/sh

/mnt/sd/cpu_speed.gpe 1 2 270 1.0
cd /mnt/sd/mp2x/
./mp2x.gpe
sync

cd /usr/gp2x/
exec /usr/gp2x/gp2xmenu

just change this line: /mnt/sd/cpu_speed.gpe 1 2 270 1.0 to choose the cpu speed you need...

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the replies so far.

I set to Full - didn't solve the frame rate drops / lag. My card reader is in storage right now (I'm in the middle of a move), so I'll try overclocking mp2x next week.

I doubt its lagging cause of cpu speed as the cpu intense operation are done by the hw decoder, its probably either a to slow sd card to high res or to slow sd card.

I would also go with too high res and too slow SD card. You might have to re-encode it so it can be read fast enough.

Ahh! Could you be more specific? Currently, I encode my AVIs w/ AutoGK at 720x384. What resolution would you recommend instead?

So you think that each frame is larger w/ a higher-resolution movie, thus data transfer between the 2GB SD card and the GP2X is a performance bottleneck?

Are there any alternatives to AutoGK there are at least as easy to use? AutoGK sometimes mysteriously crashes on my desktop, and other times it works.

evry decent encoder should work just fine, i prefer useing mencoder with a little shellscript myself, theres nothing easier than just klicking on a icon and have it encoded straight to your sd in a few minutes, no questions asked.

I hope the one im getting can overclock a lot. Can't wait!

Sure it can - this is essential for emulators. But as the above replies suggest, the transfer rate of the SD card is the bottleneck for movies.

Problem solved - reencoding to 320 / 400 kbps video / 96 kbps audio fixed the lag. Too bad about having to downconvert the A/V. But, hey, it's still technically better than UMD, right?

You could try a faster SD to get near perfect quality however since the scaler is just scaling it down to 320*240 you probably reach perfect quality anyway without the high settings.

A faster SD? Which SD media is faster than the 2GB SanDisk SD card I'm using now?

I recently purchased a GP2X (Firmware 2.0) and having problems getting the audio to sync up with my video. Any advice on what combination works best? I am using VEMODE to convert my avi's to 320x240. The default sets video bit rate to 600 and audio to 64. However, reading the thread earlier I tried video at 350 and audio at 80 and it didn't seem to help much. I also renamed my MP2X player to .gpe extension in my games directory. I haven't found anything yet that works really well. I haven't overclocked my GP2X mainly because I am not really sure how to do it.

Any suggestions, possibly with VEMODE set up?

Here is what I have:
SD CARD: RITEK PRO 4GB 150X
Firmware 2.0
Players:
-MP2X
-MPlayer (Port from PC)

Back