Overview of SoC options

Maybe you will be sold too and will be sent to China ?

Bye bye green trees from Vermont, hello Pekin pollution !

Hah, I'd prob quit well before then. Maybe I'll start a brewery..

Wait, Z3770 is 64bit? And we'll be running Debian?

/me nopes the hell out of that one.

Nope nope nope nope.

*curls into fetal position and silently weeps*

Isaac Asimov said:
Now-Remember-Kids-The-Internet-Is-Serious-Business..jpg
QFT
Now that one I hadn't seen before, kudos. ;p

Even IBM is considering selling its chip business, guess who will buy it ?

So at some point China will be able to kick some asses.
IBM's fabs have government contracts that probably deal with confidential information, I doubt the USA is going to be too willing to let China buy it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Even IBM is considering selling its chip business, guess who will buy it ?

So at some point China will be able to kick some asses.
 IBM's fabs have government contracts that probably deal with confidential information, I doubt the USA is going to be too willing to let China buy it.
Well I wasn't concerned about China per say.. You're correct, a good amount of our business is with Government contracts or companies that sell to the Government.

I've used x86_64 debian since 2006. I can't see what you're noping about.
How's your experience with multi-arch? I've had it uninstall about 75% of my system when trying to install 32bit gstreamer plugins: it basically tried to convert the entire thing to a straight 32bit install. And this was a fairly new development: it was working fine and then suddenly wasn't, I couldn't get some applications I had been using or some games in wine to work, complaining about missing gstreamer plugins and then crashing when the audio couldn't be opened. Cue the attempted install of the missing plugins nearly hosing my system which prompted me to switch to Arch.The worst though, and I have absolutely no idea what particular sourcery I did on this one, but it let me install the 64bit cross compile libc: the libc which it installs on 32 bit systems so that the 32 bit system can build 64 bit applications, and it somehow allowed me, without my knowledge, to install it on my 64 bit system. It caused all kinds of havoc, most notably debugging literally became impossible because unlike the proper install the cross compile version is stripped of all debugging information. This was a relatively easy fix, requiring a carefull install/uninstall/livecd symlinking process, but it was terribly annoying and hard to track down.

There were several other little things along the way before the gstreamer incident that I can't really recal, all I know is that multi-arch support on Debian is bad news, and I've been traumatized as a result.

GStreamer is a notoriously problematic package in all situations, not just multi-arch. But I've been running Wine, Skype, Steam with no major issues (ok, I did goofed when I installed Steam, had to remove everything 32-bit and then re-install it, but that was my fault and only took 10 minutes to correct.) I also remember using flash in nspluginwrapper way back then with only minor stability issues of the plugin :)

I've used x86_64 debian since 2006. I can't see what you're noping about.
How's your experience with multi-arch? I've had it uninstall about 75% of my system when trying to install 32bit gstreamer plugins: it basically tried to convert the entire thing to a straight 32bit install. And this was a fairly new development: it was working fine and then suddenly wasn't, I couldn't get some applications I had been using or some games in wine to work, complaining about missing gstreamer plugins and then crashing when the audio couldn't be opened. Cue the attempted install of the missing plugins nearly hosing my system which prompted me to switch to Arch.The worst though, and I have absolutely no idea what particular sourcery I did on this one, but it let me install the 64bit cross compile libc: the libc which it installs on 32 bit systems so that the 32 bit system can build 64 bit applications, and it somehow allowed me, without my knowledge, to install it on my 64 bit system. It caused all kinds of havoc, most notably debugging literally became impossible because unlike the proper install the cross compile version is stripped of all debugging information. This was a relatively easy fix, requiring a carefull install/uninstall/livecd symlinking process, but it was terribly annoying and hard to track down.

There were several other little things along the way before the gstreamer incident that I can't really recal, all I know is that multi-arch support on Debian is bad news, and I've been traumatized as a result.
I've been running 64bit Debian with 32bit libs installed for several months. It doesn't even hiccup. Were you running Sid or something? Start with Jessie. Wheezy doesn't have the Steam installer easy to grab in Synaptic. 64bit Debian Jessie with XFCE = perfect.

Putting Z3770 aside, I think Allwinner A80 (announced last September) is kind of conspicuously missing from the list of chips ED looked at. Probably was announced too late to be considered. But it looks like a decent set of features, and Allwinner has at least some history with making their SoCs Linux friendly.

Do they have an english manual for it?

Putting Z3770 aside, I think Allwinner A80 (announced last September) is kind of conspicuously missing from the list of chips ED looked at. Probably was announced too late to be considered. But it looks like a decent set of features, and Allwinner has at least some history with making their SoCs Linux friendly.
Dang, the allwinner sounds sick...
I aggree.

ARM Octa Core that has quad-core Cortex-A7 and quad-core Cortex-A15 in a big.LITTLE configuration.

BTW:

https://www.youtube.com/embed/ykCqV8f17_w?feature=oembed

I had serious problems with the quality of nand chips on my jxd handhelds running allwinner. It worked fine at first but died very abruptly after a couple months of use. If quality nand chips are used like something from Samsung for example it might be worth looking at. I would also look at the real world thermal output (not what's quoted) because my allwinner a9 devices seem to always ran quite hot. (Jxd s601, s7300) lots of people on my forum where I support those specific devices seem to report similar problems and have had to replace nand chips or bypass it completely minus the boot loader and load the OS from external storage.

Back