Release Package dosBox Games as pnds

Version 0.3 is not producing valid PNDs :( Can't even open them in 7zip ("cannot open as an archive").
Sorry, I was in kinda off a rush, it was already 10:30 PM when I saw your post, and I have to get up 4:30 AM (btw. do you austrians - sorry, couldn't resist :rolleyes: - use the 12 hour or 24 hour format ?).

What do you mean by "not valid" exactly ?. My testing capabilities are very limited as my Pandora is finally on its way to ED. The only option I have left is using foxblocks pndtools to open it, and this works fine. I can't open any of my squashfs pnds with 7-zip, even those of which I know they are working - maybe 7zip trips over the glued on pxml file + icon.

Could you try to start it via commandline (via pnd_run) and give me the contents of the pndrun_,,,.out file ?

Oh and thanks for helping me out

Last edited by a moderator:
I couldn't really say if we use one time format or the other, it varies. I guess most people use 12hour.

Sorry, should have been more specific with 7-zip - you need the 9.22 beta. It opens squashfs archives. I associate PND files with it, which makes it really easy to double click and open them for a look-see. :) http://sourceforge.net/projects/sevenzip/files/7-Zip/9.22/

I didn't even think of trying PNDTools. It opened fine in that, I recreated the PND from there and it worked. Then I went back and did it from scratch in your app... and it worked. Seems I've given you the runaround, sorry about that! My system must have been responsible for the earlier corruption.

So, pending any other failures which I will attempt to reproduce, all seems to be well! Having a default icon and dosbox.conf are very valuable additions, especially for newbies.

Sorry, should have been more specific with 7-zip - you need the 9.22 beta. It opens squashfs archives. I associate PND files with it, which makes it really easy to double click and open them for a look-see. :) http://sourceforge.n...les/7-Zip/9.22/
thanks for the info , it sure will prove its usefullness soon

I didn't even think of trying PNDTools. It opened fine in that, I recreated the PND from there and it worked. Then I went back and did it from scratch in your app... and it worked. Seems I've given you the runaround, sorry about that! My system must have been responsible for the earlier corruption.

So, pending any other failures which I will attempt to reproduce, all seems to be well! Having a default icon and dosbox.conf are very valuable additions, especially for newbies.
Or you did something the first time that you did not the second time. The kind of errors I do not like the most

Hey thatgui, this is a great idea and I've wanted to be able to this this for a few of my most used dosbox games for a while!

Problem is I've had trouble getting the pnds created on my own. Having a simple gui like this was on my wish list for a while.

Now to your application.

1) way to add preview pics and readme info txt would be awesome as well.

2) I have not been able to successfully create a pnd that works yet. There's always a problem opening pnd, on all three versions. Am I missing something?

Now to your application.

1) way to add preview pics and readme info txt would be awesome as well.
Added to the todo list, but it will take a little while, currently swamped with work (at work).

2) I have not been able to successfully create a pnd that works yet. There's always a problem opening pnd, on all three versions. Am I missing something?
Hard to tell without details. Due to lack of interest I only got some comments on it from gruso, and he stated that he could produce working pnds. As my Pandora was a little homesick, I send her back to ED, and as long as she likes beeing with ED my testing capabilities are somewhat limited.

Things that may help me help you:

- make a screenshot of the filled out gui, maybe its something obvious (not very likely, but it won't hurt either)

- can you open the created pnd with foxblocks pndtools or with a recent beta from 7zip

- can you show me the output file after running the pnd (its in /tmp) ?

- last but not least, maybe it happens that I own some of the games you are trying too, so I can try to "process" them and see where my program makes a mistake - so mentioning some of them would be nice

Sorry, I'm at work now but will try the screen shot and output later.

Here's the only game I've been trying to get and its now freeware from the authors.

http://www.adeptsoftware.com/squarez/

As for opening the pnd I've long used 7zip 9.20 but seen gruso post about 9.22 beta and no luck opening them with it. It works for other pnds I have from repo etc.

What about pndtools? where do I find this? and is it pnd_utils?

Sorry, I'm at work now but will try the screen shot and output later.

Here's the only game I've been trying to get and its now freeware from the authors.

http://www.adeptsoftware.com/squarez/

As for opening the pnd I've long used 7zip 9.20 but seen gruso post about 9.22 beta and no luck opening them with it. It works for other pnds I have from repo etc.

What about pndtools? where do I find this? and is it pnd_utils?
Seems similiar to what gruso experienced, maybe it has something to do with the order how things are done by you / gruso.

Done have time yet, but here are the pndtools, but if you can't open it with 7zip there seems to be something wrong with the container

I packaged squarez with the last Version I provided a link in this thread for - it opens fine in pndTools. You could try it if you like, I attached it

dosbox.squarez.pnd

Attachments

• dosbox.squarez.pnd
    3.2 MB · Views: 170
I packaged squarez with the last Version I provided a link in this thread for - it opens fine in pndTools. You could try it if you like, I attached it

FYI, I tried pnd tools and it opened fine (except errors that I didn't record yet, sorry) but not 7zip. I resaved the pnd in pndtools and it would then open in 7zip but didn't run on pandora. Haven't alot of time myself but I do still hope to make use of this.

Thanks, I'll try yours

Back