Package repositories

smilnovi

Hi,

Can we use packages directly from the official armstrong repositories? Openpandora repository is missing some of the packages (for example subversion), and some packages seem to miss some things (python-tkinter doesn't have _tkinter.so so idle doesn't work).

IMHO, openpandora repository should contain mostly openpandora related stuff, and all of the other packages should be downloadable from the official armstrong repository.

And don't confuse update and upgrade: update syncs the list of packages, upgrade upgrades anything that can be upgraded. Update is OK, upgrade will break your system (I assume it overwrites Pandora-specific packages and leaves your system in an unusable state).

Right, that's the goal of the .next version, to have upgrade work. I was just warning that currently it does not work.

Ok, so installing packages from from angstrom repository should work, but upgrading still doesn't?

@Linux-SWAT: Been there already, that's why I have mentioned missing subversion packages in openpandora repository. I would like to use package manager to resolve dependencies. That is one of the reasons .next is here I guess. If I have to do it manually, then I'll rather compile from upstream what I need, since gcc is available, but that is not what I want to do on regular basis, nor is something that regular users should have to do.

@_wb_: I have several SD cards and I'd like to see what happens if I upgrade using official angstrom repository. I think this is one of more important things to be fixed. Do you perhaps know which packages cause breakage?

.next can be upgraded via opkg.

Ah so maybe the "sources list" does not point to the official Angstrom repo ?

No, that is not the issue nor my question. I know that .next can be upgraded using opkg, and I have done so using openpandora repository. And I know how to point opkg to official angstrom repository.

Well, ok, I have read the manuals about it, but I do understand what needs to be done.

My question is "can I (should I) use angstrom repository or not". And _wb_ has answered "if you do the upgrade of packages, there will be problems". According to him, there are conflicts between pandora specific stuff that is in .next and some angstrom packages from official angstrom repository that opgk select for upgrade.

So, I'll check it for myself what happens, and see if I am able/capable of at least diagnosing the problem, if not solving it. I hope that if I can at least point exactly to where is the problem, then this problem can be fixed.

My question is "can I (should I) use angstrom repository or not". And _wb_ has answered "if you do the upgrade of packages, there will be problems". According to him, there are conflicts between pandora specific stuff that is in .next and some angstrom packages from official angstrom repository that opgk select for upgrade.
That was the case with the current distrib we are using but not anymore with .next (one of the goals here), add the official repository and have fun

Yes, I was not talking about .next (was replying without looking at the forum name), I was just giving a general warning about the current situation in .current ;)

Actually it's still the case with .next that installing some packages directly from the angstrom repos can break stuff.

Not as much as the old firmware, since that was using an extremely outdated version, but there are still some packages that have special pandora modifications, mostly related to all the junk the pnd system needs set up.

So if you do want to mess about with other repos, it's probably a good idea to have them at a lower priority than the pandora ones.

And there might be a small difference in the optimization flags used to compile the packages for the pandora feeds, and the angstrom ones.

Do you perhaps have an list of these packages that are not to be installed from the official angstrom repository? I guess that your plan is to clean up the pnd system, which will in the long term result with the cleaner situation with angstrom repository?

I think that optimization flags difference is not so important in this case, unless you think it affects the speed in such an ammount that it really pays off to have them specially compiled for pandora. I guess you had to compile a basic set of packages, because of pnd issues, but when (if) these issues are solved, then I guess that number of pandora specific packages will be reduced? It would be a waste of resources and time to duplicate already existing work.

I have managed to update my pandora using http://www.angstrom-distribution.org/feeds/v2012.05/ipk/eglibc/armv7a - I have selected all of the subdirectories there, and the only issue I had was conflict between base-files and systemd around /etc/tmpfiles.d/var-run.conf file (systemd added 2 rows to the file). I didn't do some thorough testing, but I have installed a lot of various packages, and it seems fine. :D Well, I don't like that python-tkinter for some reason doesn't include _tkinter.so file, but if (when) the need arises, I can always compile it, and okular still doesn't support PDF (which is very strange, since the main feature of okular is viewing of PDF files). Those are the main issues I had with the little testing I did. I can manually connect to my home wifi using WPA2, so that works fine.

My guess is is that using this repository is reasonably safe, and now there is still the issue of making systemd, NetworkManager, power management and other stuff work for pandora as is now for the stable version.

Last edited by a moderator:
a lot of the patches that fix the systemd and networkmanager things have been posted to the angstrom and oe mailinglists , so it shouldn't take too long before that appears in the stable version

That's great news! So, I don't have to switch to any other repository, those from openpandora and angstrom that I'm currently using are enough?

Back