Palm Os

trats20050

Still Fresh
Hi,i know this has been discussed before (almost a year ago) but is there any new news if the palm os can be used on the Pandora.I currently use a treo 650 with alot of applications and when available would like to have a pandora and be able to use my favorite palm applications. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
"but is there any new news if the palm os can be used on the Pandora"

There's no news, just the old info.
Here it is in full:

No.

Well, Palm OS isn't a general operating system like Windows or Linux.
It therefore won't even run on the Pandora's hardware without a lot of tweaking and additional drivers.
Frankly, this is impossible to do without the source code.

You could see if there's an open-source emu for the Palm OS, but it would be a lot easier to just run native Pandora apps.

I'm sure there's 50,000 programs for Palm OS, but how many of them are impossible to duplicate on the Pandora?

http://sourceforge.net/projects/pose/

The POSE project is probably your best bet, it appears to be an open-source Palm OS emu.
But there's probably definitely no way to run POS directly on the Pandora.

'lulzfish' said:
"but is there any new news if the palm os can be used on the Pandora"

There's no news, just the old info.
Here it is in full:

No.
Um.

You are aware of the Garnet VM for Nokia tablets, aren´t you?
CODE
http://www.access-company.com/products/gvm/

I am not saying it will run on the Pandora, but then again...

Palm applications are excellent however there is one big BUT...

Palm devices tend to have instant on capability. ie. I could pick up my Zodiac, switch on and it's ready.

Pandora doesn't have this. It's one feature that is really lacking on the GP2X - due to Linux no doubt.

'slaanesh' said:
Pandora doesn't have this. It's one feature that is really lacking on the GP2X - due to Linux no doubt.
Oh, bleh. Pandora has suspend; you do not need to boot up linux every time you turn it on.

'pelrun' said:
slaanesh said:
Oh, bleh. Pandora has suspend; you do not need to boot up linux every time you turn it on.Correct. It`s not that the Palm OS was "instant on", it`s that the device was never truly off. If you ever had to hit the hard reset button, you`d have to wait for 10-15 sec for the device to do a proper boot up.

With the Pandora lasting for months in suspend-to-RAM and effectively forever in suspend-to-disk, boot time is a complete non-issue.

'slaanesh' said:

Yes it does, and does it in the exact same way that Palm (actually, in a much better way than Palm) did. It has nothing to do with Linux or not. When you power off a Palm, it suspends to RAM: shut down everything except the RAM, so it maximizes battery life. The Pandora already has this. In the event the battery goes dead, however, you see a several second boot time on the Palm, just as you would on the Pandora, or any other device. What the Pandora also has that the Palm (at least the older ones that I'm familiar with. They may have changed it) does not is suspend to disk: take what's in RAM and save it to permanent storage and then shut off the RAM. That way, even if the battery goes dead, you just charge it up and you get your instant on again.

'Username' said:
I always wondered what suspend was for. How long would it take to boot back up?
Suspend-to-RAM is essentially instantaneous, while suspend-to-disk takes several seconds. Still faster than a cold boot, though.

My Zaurus only takes a few seconds to resume, but it is both slower than the Pandora and requires some time-consuming scripts to run on suspend/resume to do with the RTC. The Pandora should be significantly better on both counts.

What about windows mobile? Can we run this on the pandora or an emulation of it for winmo games?

http://www.palmheroes.com/

This game is a clone of Heroes of might and magic III but its for winmo :rolleyes:

'Kekerot' said:
What about windows mobile? Can we run this on the pandora or an emulation of it for winmo games?
right now: no

in a few _years_: maybe

Now and then there are talks of a wine equivalent for windows CE/mobile, but AFAIK nobody has even started any work on it yet.

I wonder if there are enought original winmo games and apps that won't be ported / cloned on something like android1 to make it worth the years of reverse engeneering, however.

'valhalla' said:
'Kekerot' said:
right now: no

in a few _years_: maybe

Now and then there are talks of a wine equivalent for windows CE/mobile, but AFAIK nobody has even started any work on it yet.

I wonder if there are enought original winmo games and apps that won't be ported / cloned on something like android1 to make it worth the years of reverse engeneering, however.

Well the devs for that game actively post on their forums so maybe they would like to port it for angstrom as a closed source commercial game if asked.

Getting back to the POSE question: Yes, it only runs PalmOS 4. there is no POSE for PalmOS 5. V4 = m68k chip. V5 = ARM chip.
The good news, however, is that the vast majority of new applications for Palm are _still_ m68k. Only some particularly demanding applications use native ARM code, or ARM versions of libraries (called 'armlets' IIRC). Most applications are fine as m68k applications because PalmOS v5 includes a just-in-time m68k->arm translator.

In other words, getting POSE to run on the Pandora will be quite useful, if the port is done well. There are a couple of POSE ports for the Nokia tablets, but they are not particularly good and they are a bit tricky to use. On the other hand there is Garnet VM (the PalmOS V5 emulator for Nokia), but a) it is closed-source, time-limited, and B) it could be tricky to get running (as binary) on the Pandora. It is probably fine-tune to the NITs. But who knows for certain. Not me.

Back