Palm Os

http://blog.palm.com/palm/
good read, it's going to be interesting seeing webOS replace PalmOS :)

as for the topic: a palm os 4 emulator port could be made indeed. It could be useful, Palm OS has a lot of little useful apps, even if the most important apps are probably going to get a version for the Pandora. I'm not sure if there's anyone interested in porting it, though...

Last edited by a moderator:
'trats20050' said:
They are going to replace it with webOS is a completely new operating system based on Linux .support for Palm OS applications will be possible through the use of an emulator. ;)
I have yet to see anything from Palm saying they are working on a PalmOS emulator, and it is not going to be possibly for anybody but Palm (or somebody licensed by Palm) to do it. Palm is being even more restrictive with hardware access than Google or even Apple with WebOS. User-made programs are limited to HTML, Java (or something similar), and maybe Flash and definitely will not allow the sort of direct access to hardware a PalmOS emulator would require. They have been pretty clear about having no interest in gaming on the Pre.

'joa' said:
When will this forum get fixed?
LOL... that's what I just thought with all the links being fooked.

While I think it would be cool to be able to run a few palmOS apps, I never really felt like there was any programs on pOS that were special in any way. I got sick of the hassle that you need to go through trying to install programs on my zodiac very quickly and the overall performance and usability of pOS was also kinda poor in my opinion. Maybe I missed out on some great apps though.

The whole idea of having a pOS emulator is great though, every emulator project is exciting me. Also there was a great deal of games for pOS. That alone would make it worth it.

One thing I'd like to have on my Pandora eventually would be gps. The problem I see with this is that there are no good maps available for open source gps apps. If a pOS emulator could make use of a gps expansion of any kind and you'd be able to run one of the many native palm gps programs, that would make me and a lot of people very happy I'd imagine.

If you just want a GPS mapping program you will just have to wish for someone to build Maemo Mapper for Pandora. That program has served me extremely well in different parts of the world. Like all (except Navit afaik) open source mapping programs it uses bitmaps, not vector maps, so there's no offline routing support. If you can go online for a moment then you can download routes in advance.

With MM you have access to very good maps indeed, and you can switch between maps from different sources, and satellite images as well. There's tracking and other features. It's so convenient that I often use it instead of my TomTom system, except when I'm looking for specific addresses.

'xnopasaranx' said:
The whole idea of having a pOS emulator is great though
First time I read this, I thought "Why are we emulating a point of sale machine?" Quick second read, I thought "Why is it great to emulate if it's a piece of sh..." and then I got it.
We now return you to your regularly scheduled discussion already in progress. *beep*
Personally I don't see the benefit to emulating Palm. I haven't used my Palm in years, mostly because I've found superior alternatives to pretty much everything I was using it for: notes, scheduling, address book, etc...

Garnet VM should be possible... heres the .deb install info:

CODE

Package: garnet-vm
Version: 1.0.1b
Section: user/other
Priority: optional
Architecture: armel
Depends: hildon-fm1 (>= 0.29-1), hildon-libs0 (>= 0.12.24-3), libatk1.0-0 (>= 1.9.0), libc6 (>= 2.3.5-1), libdbus-1-2 (>= 0.61), libdbus-glib-1-2 (>= 0.61), libexpat1 (>= 1.95.8), libfreetype6 (>= 2.1.10-1osso1), libglib2.0-0 (>= 2.8.6-1osso1), libgtk2.0-0 (>= 2:2.6.10-1.osso8), libosso1 (>= 1.14-1), libpango1.0-0 (>= 1.8.1), libsdl1.2, libstdc++6 (>= 3.4.4), libx11-6 | xlibs (>> 4.1.0), libxau0, libxcursor1 (>> 1.1.2), libxext6 | xlibs (>> 4.1.0), libxft2 (>= 2.1.6-1osso10), libxrender1
Installed-Size: 2928
Maintainer: ACCESS Systems Americas, Inc.
Description: The Garnet Virtual Machine
Run your favorite Garnet applications on your Maemo device

'Chip' said:
'trats20050' said:
They are going to replace it with webOS is a completely new operating system based on Linux .support for Palm OS applications will be possible through the use of an emulator. ;)
I have yet to see anything from Palm saying they are working on a PalmOS emulator, and it is not going to be possibly for anybody but Palm (or somebody licensed by Palm) to do it. Palm is being even more restrictive with hardware access than Google or even Apple with WebOS. User-made programs are limited to HTML, Java (or something similar), and maybe Flash and definitely will not allow the sort of direct access to hardware a PalmOS emulator would require. They have been pretty clear about having no interest in gaming on the Pre.

Actually, the OS part of Palm was split from the hardware part and named Palmsource a few years ago. Access bought them and they then developed the Access Linux Platform, loosing the Palm name altogether which was bought by the hardware company again. ALP includes the Garnet VM to run old Palm OS software (Garnet was the name of Palm OS 5.0). I have no idea what the licensing deals for the Garnet VM are but it would be awesome if we could get a port for the Pandora, even as a closed source commercial program. There are a lot of great Palm OS games I want to play!

As for how much or little access to the harware webOS will allow... Well, so far it certainly doesn't look pretty. I really hope that the HTML/Javascrip bullshit isn't everything. I really love the Pre but if it's as restrictive as the iPhone, I'd rather stick with my barely working but completely open source Openmoko phones, thanks.

'xnopasaranx' said:
One thing I'd like to have on my Pandora eventually would be gps. The problem I see with this is that there are no good maps available for open source gps apps.
Open Streetmap? In my experience, it's pretty awesome in some places already, and it's only going to get better. B) I should really start mapping some streets with my Neo 1973 but somehow the GPS driver doesn't work that well on some recent distros...

We were discussing GPS in another thread a while ago.
The open-source, GTK+-based TangoGPS is pretty cool. It keeps an offline cache of mapping data in simple *.png format, downloads the maps as you scroll, like Google Maps, and also lets you use a GPS dong to update your position.

But it works great without GPS, which is good because I usually have some idea of where I am.

trats20050 said:
Warfare incorporated is another great game too its a real-time strategy game. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warfare_Incorporated.

Heh... They did an iPhone version. That means that one MIGHT be able to talk them out of a Pandora/Etc. ARM Linux version... :D I'd go that route first- that is a pretty awesome game (I've got my old PalmOS/WinCE install version lying about here somewhere...) and I'm thinking it might be a bit easier to get spiffcode to make a version or allow one to be done for them.

Back