Palm Tungsten Owners?

gruso

thunderbox
Website
pandorapress.net
I've just (hopefully) nabbed a Palm Tungsten E for $25. For no particular reason.

I'm a newbie to the whole Palm thing so I don't really know what to do with it. What kind of fun can I have with it? Good games? MIDI? Linux?

Is palmzone.net full of cool people like us, or are there better communities? Any advice appreciated. :)

Someone on an Aussie forum I hang out on said they were moving house and having a cleanout. Since they were asking $25 I thought it must be a beaten up old thing. Turns out it's mint, including leather cover, all original manuals/warranty/cd roms, AC adapter and USB cable.

Not sure what they were thinking! Score. :D

I got really excited when I saw some cheap Tungstens on Ebay but it turned out the were the much slower model and not much use.

The killer app is definitely the calculator, or the calendar function.

though I've heard there's like games on there as well or something...

I had a Tungsten E2(model up from yours) for a while until I sold it to finance my Pandora preorder. You'll probably be wanting LJP for emulation and TCPMP for media to start off with, those are the two that I remember off te top of my head.

I've found any kind of gaming pretty unfulfilling on the Palm. The buttons aren't great for it, and touch screen control only suits a handful of games. But I did end up buying Microbe, and I can't tell you how awesome it is to play with. The Palm is now on my person wherever I go. This was indeed the best $25 gadget spend ever.

If you are into reading ebooks, palmreader is excellent.

Most of my books are in .lit format (windows Mobile), but I use a program called ABC Amber LIT Converter (or something like that!) to change them to .pdb palm files.

In palmreader, you just touch any part of the lower screen to turn the page. Touch the top half of screen to go to previous page. Sounds simple, but it works really well for me - also it hardly impacts on battery life compared to gaming or watching movies on it :)

For reading on my Palm (Sony Clié TG50) I use Plucker. It works pretty well, and has the added bonus of a library of Gutenberg Project books which are already available in Plucker format. There are various X-to-Plucker converters, too, if you look. Plucker has a quite neat auto-scroll feature, although because my reading speed is awfully variable I didn't find it much use.

Gruso said:
I've found any kind of gaming pretty unfulfilling on the Palm. The buttons aren't great for it, and touch screen control only suits a handful of games.
The only Palm worthwhile for some serious gaming is the Zodiac.

Last edited by a moderator:
Heh, I remember playing Doom on my E2. I enjoyed it, too. Playing Sonic with LJP was pretty good though, since you only need one button and a dpad. I don't think you'll be playing any Megadrive on an E, though, my E2 chugged a bit even without sound and the E only has 126MHz compared to the E2's 200MHz.
[sub]
*sniff* i miss you, palmie[/sub]

Gruso said:
I've found any kind of gaming pretty unfulfilling on the Palm. The buttons aren't great for it, and touch screen control only suits a handful of games. But I did end up buying Microbe, and I can't tell you how awesome it is to play with. The Palm is now on my person wherever I go. This was indeed the best $25 gadget spend ever.
Gaming on a Palm, not as bad as I thought, actually, my T5 is great for simple 2D games.
I can also use mine as a remote control for my LEGO NXT.

Last edited by a moderator:
These are the games you HAVE to try:
Bike or Die (THE Palm game.)
Warfare Inc.
Mazera (Very fun Zelda-style puzzle game)
Plazmoids! (If you can find it... :( )
Psarakia (My favourite touchscreen puzzle game because of the combo system)
Gloop Zero
Legacy, The Quest (fantastic first person RPGs)
Acedior (Adventure game I rather enjoyed)

For some great classic clones, try Snails (Worms), The Prison (simple but fun Breakout), Chopper (tunnel flying game, very addictive) and Fruit Swap 100% (can't remember what the original is called but this is very addictive as well).

They should all be playable without a Zodiac. ;)

Did you try LJP (Little-John Portable)? It's a great emu!

Also, I recommend the game Hardball, it's something like Breakout. It's pretty addictive!
http://www.freeware-palm.com/get-hardball-v4-53.html

Back