pandian - MARK2

Another update:

I've booted up the minimal installation.  It boots and eventually brings me to a log in prompt.  Unlike what the wiki says, there is no startup wizard which allows me to set up a user or the root password.  So, I'm stuck.

Any help would be most welcome.  I am eager to have Debian on my Pandora.

Thanks.

As this is armhf there are no sgx drivers I guess?

A little startupwizard for the first run where you can set a user and passwords for root and the user and also extend the partition to the whole card followed by the wifisetup and tasksel maybe.

Okay, final update before I sit back and wait to see if anybody can help me get further.

By mounting the card on my full linux system, I was able to create an account (adding a line to /etc/passwd) and give that account full sudo access with no password required.  I then booted the system on the Pandora, logged in, did a 'sudo bash' to get root access and ran pdSetup.  All fine even if a bit convoluted.

However, I am now truly stuck as I cannot get the wireless to connect.  I have never used ceni before but I think I have used it correctly to define the network.  I have two possible networks, one with WPA and the other with WEP.  Both seem to connect properly but no IP address is given.  It would appear that the minimal installation has no dhclient.  Is this correct?

How can I move further?  So close...

Thanks yet again!

I'm like a dog with a bone ;)

Configured my router to provide a static address to the Pandora so I now have a network, although only at home for the time being.

The wiki says that a normal installation can be achieved from a minimal one using apt-get install debian-lxde.  This would appear to be a typo as it should likely be pandian-lxde from searching the packages available.  I'm installing this as I type this.  I'll post any followups as necessary!

Getting excited now... :)

... the continuing saga ... ;)

Installed pandian-lxde which allowed me to boot up with X.  Installed all kinds of other tools I need; this is where I love debian as it is just a matter of apt-get install whatever!  Brilliant.

A few outstanding issues:

1. the stylus seems to be mapped backwards to the screen.  That is, pointing at the top left puts the mouse pointer at the bottom right of the screen; pointing at bottom right places the pointer at the top left.  Essentially mirrored on both axes.  Not sure how this can be fixed as I don't know where the stylus configuration may be.  Controlling the mouse pointer using the nubs, however, works as expected including mouse presses.
  2. the key map has a couple of errors: \ (Fn c) gives #, = (Fn g) gives right tick.  I'm sure this is trivial to fix but haven't tracked down where the key map is defined yet.
  3. the LED for the wifi does not light.
  4. the low power mode via the icon on the desktop doesn't seem to do more than turn the display off.  In particular, the wifi continues to be active as far as I can tell.  The screensaver becomes active (with display off) if left long enough.
  5. I've included a swap partition on the SD card but the boot up sequence doesn't find it automatically to use it for swap.  I can easily specify this manually (swapon) but would like this done automatically on boot up.  Should be trivial to address.
Still, despite these issues, I am very impressed.  As a long time Debian user, I feel right at home on the Pandora.  With Emacs 24, unison and a few other bits and bobs, I have a mini-laptop where I can read my email (gnus) and write documents (org mode).  Exactly why I bought the Pandora!

I'll continue playing this evening probably so may figure out some of the above issues.  If so, I will post here.

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks for testing

the problems comes from the recent update of packages :/ sorry for that. I will fix this today

@eric

1. normally the first-start-wizard should calibrate the touch screen. but you can recalibrate it with pdXCalibrate as root. I will provide an .desktop file for that

3. I will add it to the script

4. this comes from the very first test phase, on which the X-Server was not available and I needed an open SSH

but yes I update the script :)

5. yep an init-script will be added

something else: also I add an notification for the users on status changes

I trace down the problem on pandian-base ( pandian-minimal, it will be renamed soon :) )

During the update of the debian packages, i mentioned that the first-start-wizzard was starting again during boot. This is caused by the debian package, which inserts the first-start-wizzard in init.d.

Because of this, i removed it from the package.

Well this is exactly now the problem that pandian-base dont start the first-start-wizzard.. i will fix this in my building system and rebuild it now :)

stay tuned

^ Nice!  How's the speed?  Sorry for asking but I won't have time to give it a try next week.

Thanks,

Shenmue
I am not sure how to quantify this. I've only had my Pandora for two weeks and, in that time; I've only used the Slackware distribution and now this.  Comparing these two, the speed is fine.

Further update on my experience with Pandian.

I did figure out that I needed to calibrate the stylus and it now works perfectly!  In any case; I installed ratpoison, my window manager (if you can call it that) of choice and I no longer need to use the mouse aka the stylus.  Screenshot attached for illustration.

With a static IP from the router, I was able to install network-manager and the wifi works perfectly  now.  Icon for nm-applet is visible in the screenshot, being managd by trayer.

The only real niggle at this point is the key map.  I'll try to figure this out later.

I will have Pandian as my default OS on the Pandora so many thanks for this.

x.png

Scared up a card & tried out mark2 for the first time.  Fullimage.

Nit: in English, the word is "wizard" (one "z").

First-time setup was all good.  When I reached the login screen I found the "y" and "z" keys were swapped.

Fortunately, my username has a "y" so I could see what happened.  Would have been puzzling if it had

been i the (non-echoed) password!  I selected en-us with UTF-8 during setup.

I will play with it more today, and make sure to verify all the key bindings.

Nice job!  I especially liked the touchscreen calibration.

Further update on my experience with Pandian.

I did figure out that I needed to calibrate the stylus and it now works perfectly!  In any case; I installed ratpoison, my window manager (if you can call it that) of choice and I no longer need to use the mouse aka the stylus.  Screenshot attached for illustration.

With a static IP from the router, I was able to install network-manager and the wifi works perfectly  now.  Icon for nm-applet is visible in the screenshot, being managd by trayer.

The only real niggle at this point is the key map.  I'll try to figure this out later.

I will have Pandian as my default OS on the Pandora so many thanks for this.
cool, when ever you find something to improve, just say it and i will push it to the debian package :D

( i also really like debian :) )

Scared up a card & tried out mark2 for the first time.  Fullimage.

Nit: in English, the word is "wizard" (one "z").

First-time setup was all good.  When I reached the login screen I found the "y" and "z" keys were swapped.

Fortunately, my username has a "y" so I could see what happened.  Would have been puzzling if it had

been i the (non-echoed) password!  I selected en-us with UTF-8 during setup.

I will play with it more today, and make sure to verify all the key bindings.

Nice job!  I especially liked the touchscreen calibration.
Hmm, strange. I test it with de_DE.UTF8 and everything is fine

pleasy try to change the locale ( "dpkg-reconfigure locales" as root )

Actually i rebuild the pandian-base image with an more actual version of pandian. it will be up in some hours

Ok, a little more time with mark2.  The y/z swap still happens on login; my guess is that the keymap config was set up to apply only to the logged-in user session, and that the system keymap pre-login is something else.

After login, A-Z, 0-9, and a-z are all OK.  FN-g and FN-c do not map to the correct characters; all others seem OK, including shift of numbers.

Can you supply a darker background?  The default one is hard on the eyes!

I will be seeing about updates as well as intalling a suite of debian apps.

Andy

Ok, a little more time with mark2.  The y/z swap still happens on login; my guess is that the keymap config was set up to apply only to the logged-in user session, and that the system keymap pre-login is something else.

After login, A-Z, 0-9, and a-z are all OK.  FN-g and FN-c do not map to the correct characters; all others seem OK, including shift of numbers.

Can you supply a darker background?  The default one is hard on the eyes!

I will be seeing about updates as well as intalling a suite of debian apps.

Andy
Yes thats right, the keymap will be loaded during login. I will see where to find how to loading the keymap in the login screen.

I mentioned that thing with the background also ( today i write all the time on the scripts, so i can imagine what you mean )

The created user should probably be placed in group "sudo".  Also, you might consider including vim-tiny

in the "full" image's pre-installed packages.  Also "less".  If space is not tight, "build-essential" might even

make sense; gcc is present, but none of the standard I/O header files.  OTOH, looks like apache2 is installed?

I see pulseaudio is installed... has anybody tried it?  I'll climb down that rathole at some point unless somebody

else wants to be the canary in the coal mine.  Also, looks like input is just raw hw:1, so no mixer, no rate/format

adaptation, dual channel "microphone".  I'd guess no regular audio apps will handle recording or other audio

input--but this just leaves us bug-compatible with SZ.

Released:

pandian (0.4-1)

* trigger-panel dont overlapp now

* merge sudoers pdcmd together

* Add pandian init-script which load WLAN-status and swapon

* pdcmd: now save the last state of wifi/lcd/cpu and restore it

* pdcmd: reworked the script

* pdcmd: switch wifi-led on if wifi is on

The created user should probably be placed in group "sudo".  Also, you might consider including vim-tiny

in the "full" image's pre-installed packages.  Also "less".  If space is not tight, "build-essential" might even

make sense; gcc is present, but none of the standard I/O header files.  OTOH, looks like apache2 is installed?

I see pulseaudio is installed... has anybody tried it?  I'll climb down that rathole at some point unless somebody

else wants to be the canary in the coal mine.  Also, looks like input is just raw hw:1, so no mixer, no rate/format

adaptation, dual channel "microphone".  I'd guess no regular audio apps will handle recording or other audio

input--but this just leaves us bug-compatible with SZ.
Ah well, seems there is more work ;)

i take hours to get audio running on the pandora, pulseaudio is a relict of these days :)

the asound-configuration needs really reworked maybe someone who is familiar with that can help ?

omg, apache2 ? not as far as i know. I dont select it somewhere, hope it comes not from some dependencies.

Back