Pandora 2 - thin it down?

Pandora 2 indeed should be thinner in case Design and especialy have better build Quality. To many rough and sharp edges are on the current case, some of them prevent it from be comfortable while holding the Handheld and Gaming for example. The top sides of the controller case are a little bit to sharp for my taste, they are rounded at the sides and front but not on the top (Keyboard surface). Gives a nice and gapless look when closed but it is just to "sharp" designed, at least for my hands.

Out of all the things mentioned that might be reworked, the one that i'd put first is the weight. It's a heavy little critter. ;)

Honestly, I don't think there will be enough money available for all these radical redesigns...

The P2 needs to make a lot more money than the P1 did, and then we can think about these redesigns for the P3...

I think the case for the P2 will pretty much be identical to what we have now, but probably with a better plastic used.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk

I agree, case should be almost the same, and just upgrade screen, internals and build quality.

Not to mention the time that would take a redesign. Do people remember the drama of the case manufacturing?

I proposed the "battery as the back case" idea to craig a while back. The costs to have custom batteries made are extremely high
Not sure why you would think that. The existing battery is already custom. Lithium polymer by their very nature are practically required to be custom.

To get them molded into a back for the device, I was told it would be cost prohibited

3. Because it currently looks like a prototype to hold the components instead of a professionally finished and integrated end product. Not that this was a bad thing for the first run out - but we're talking about a future-product here (Pandora 2) that should have a much better consumer-oriented appearance.

I completely agree with you Grench. Especially about the keymat & shaving off the gel caps, the battery compartment with door etc. Do you have the skills to take this beyond a mental exercise? I'd love to see a sketch or model!

Last edited by a moderator:
3. Because it currently looks like a prototype to hold the components instead of a professionally finished and integrated end product. Not that this was a bad thing for the first run out - but we're talking about a future-product here (Pandora 2) that should have a much better consumer-oriented appearance.

I completely agree with you Grench. Especially about the keymat & shaving off the gel caps, the battery compartment with door etc. Do you have the skills to take this beyond a mental exercise? I'd love to see a sketch or model!

Sorry - photographic imagination, no drafting skills. I couldn't draw a paper bag to get myself stuck in. I can picture it all in my mind and describe it in painstaking detail - but that doesn't get it there.

The P2 needs to make a lot more money than the P1 did, and then we can think about these redesigns for the P3...

To do that a few things are going to need to happen.

People outside of the fringe developer, hardware and Linux community will need to get interested enough to buy it.

For that to happen, it has to be aesthetically attractive to them. They need to look at what the geeky guy in the airport (the rest of us) is working with - then ignore him and become fascinated with the device.

It needs to feel sturdy, dense, thin and efficient.

It should have an almost steam-punk attractiveness - style taking a back seat to function, but still present. Mixed media construction (plastic and metal) would allow simple color combinations (anything on the metal + black.)

Please keep in mind which forum you're posting in - this area is, for lack of a better phrase, reserved for dreaming. If you're going to restrict your input to, 'no we can't do that because XYZ', then you're missing the point - and the fun.

To do that a few things are going to need to happen.

People outside of the fringe developer, hardware and Linux community will need to get interested enough to buy it.

For that to happen, it has to be aesthetically attractive to them. They need to look at what the geeky guy in the airport (the rest of us) is working with - then ignore him and become fascinated with the device.

It needs to feel sturdy, dense, thin and efficient.

It should have an almost steam-punk attractiveness - style taking a back seat to function, but still present. Mixed media construction (plastic and metal) would allow simple color combinations (anything on the metal + black.)

Please keep in mind which forum you're posting in - this area is, for lack of a better phrase, reserved for dreaming. If you're going to restrict your input to, 'no we can't do that because XYZ', then you're missing the point - and the fun.

Fair enough. A radical redesign might actually be a good idea then if the intention is to expand on the target market... and even more money would have to be spent on a well planned marketing campaign.

If this is to be the angle, then the P2 shouldn't look like a gaming device when closed - It should be styled as a mini netbook. Steampunk aesthetics is also a good idea, as I think it would be too costly / difficult to finetune a sleek modern design. The P2 also needs to stand out and turn heads. The case should definitely include metal - more metal than plastic IMO.

Maybe the design should draw on the cases from old home computers?

If this is to be the angle, then the P2 shouldn't look like a gaming device when closed - It should be styled as a mini netbook. Steampunk aesthetics is also a good idea, as I think it would be too costly / difficult to finetune a sleek modern design. The P2 also needs to stand out and turn heads. The case should definitely include metal - more metal than plastic IMO.

Does this remind anyone else of a delorean DMC-12 - lots of corners, niche, expensive, metal panels, strange features, frequently modified by nerds, small production run...

More to the point, I'd guess that it would make sense if the large flat areas of case were metal, while the more complexly shaped bits were plastic?

Last edited by a moderator:

I'm liking where you're going with that. Using my idea above for a device with a stamped metal picture frame style lid, metal bottom sheet and metal keyboard surround...

Do the three stamped metal parts all in brass?

For the center plastic part... use brown, black and a bit of red plastic blend and let it swirl into the molds to get close to looking like Bakelite?

Something to look along these lines (without the watch gears on the lid top)?

http://www.datamancer.net/steampunklaptop/steampunklaptop.htm

Closed it would look like a cigar case or a small music/jewelry box?

I'm thinking less steampunk, more like classic computers/consoles

with slot vents, beveled corners and the occasional spot of colour

Back