Pandora Apps Thread Discussion

Esn

(:";
Website
esn.newgrounds.com
Thanks a lot, fellows! Though I do hope eventually that people will directly edit the wiki, as well. Still, the posts in this thread do help.

I've recently made a wiki article to cover everything except for games and emulators: http://pandorawiki.org/Software_projects

I'm not sure that programs that haven't been packaged into PNDs should be included, as this might be too hard for most users...

Esn said:
Thanks a lot, fellows! Though I do hope eventually that people will directly edit the wiki, as well.
I have been updating the emulators and games pages from the info being posted here. Haven't been doing anything with the information about the applications though, since there was no real place for it yet, but now with your new page I'll start doing it. It does make it easier looking in a single topic vs. having to look through the whole forum.

Last edited by a moderator:
What's wrong with just browsing the OpenAppStore?

It should be the primary source of applications. If any apps are missing there, then that should be fixed first.

craigix said:
Does someone want to just be an admin on apps.open-pandora and help keep it up to date?

Meaning grabbing latest .pnd's and put them up, or what?
Shouldn't the devs themself do that?

craigix said:
Does someone want to just be an admin on apps.open-pandora and help keep it up to date?

I'd be happy to help with that, I think, but what kind of tasks are required?

Once I get a Pandora I might be interested in helping. (But that would be for a while as I think I am around 3000 in the queue.) I think having a Pandora is kinda mandatory so folks can actually test the posted PNDs and make sure they work before unleashing them to the public.

Caine said:
What's wrong with just browsing the OpenAppStore?

It should be the primary source of applications. If any apps are missing there, then that should be fixed first.
I agree, but currently quite a few programs are present only on the Pandora File Archive, others are present only on Pandora Apps, and still others are present only on the forums or other places (i.e. Craig doesn't upload betas to Pandora Apps, but many of these betas are already quite functional if not entirely polished, for example ScummVM, so these have been added to the wiki with a note saying "beta"). Our current project on the Pandora Wiki (well, currently it's really just me and Cheese working on this) is to make one central list of everything.

I guess this is my way of doing something useful until my Pandora arrives. That's one reason why I'd be a poor candidate for Appstore admin currently, though I wouldn't mind doing it. :) (the other reason is that I'm not a developer, which I think would help)

(p.s. I like the name "Pandora Apps" better than "Appstore" - anything with "store" in it doesn't seem appropriate, considering that all/most downloads are free)

craigix said:
I guess I can help. I'm UNIX sysadmin since ~ 1990. Also like to play with ARM PDA under Linux since Zaurus 5500.
But I still haven't OP (2100 in queue) and need some time to explore OP package management and repository.

svs-57 said:
craigix said:
and need some time to explore OP package management and repository.

Those are not yet in use, you'd better look here for a discussion about it and maybe they want your help.

http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/54991-ready-to-flash-firmware-image/ (later pages)

Esn said:
Thanks a lot, fellows! Though I do hope eventually that people will directly edit the wiki, as well. Still, the posts in this thread do help.

I've recently made a wiki article to cover everything except for games and emulators: http://pandorawiki.org/Software_projects

I'm not sure that programs that haven't been packaged into PNDs should be included, as this might be too hard for most users...
You schould list all applications that are not pnds as Work in Progress (WIP)

Trickyhero said:
Esn said:

You schould list all applications that are not pnds as Work in Progress (WIP)
Or there could be an asterisk, saying "this app has no PND"...

To be honest, I'm just not sure of how no-PND apps work. Can any Linux app be made to work without a PND if you install it in the right way? (or something?)

You pretty much just have to navigate to the directory and double click the executable. OK, it's not always that simple, but most of the time it is. And yes, any ARM Linux application can be run without making it a PND as long as the things it depends on are installed first.

Oh, I did add one thing to that list which wasn't a PND and for that I put "(zip)" in the download link.

Esn said:
To be honest, I'm just not sure of how no-PND apps work. Can any Linux app be made to work without a PND if you install it in the right way? (or something?)
Any app that has been compiled for ARM processors and has the right libraries available to it.
It's just like an EXE file on Windows: you run it, and if you've got all the right DLLs, it'll work.
The PND format is just a convenient way of packaging things up for end users.

Esn said:
Then doesn't that mean that there are thousands of programs which should be on the list, if non-PND ones are included?
Not necessarily. The non-PND one I added was a game made by someone in the community. We just need to restrict it to programs in PND form or programs made by/ported by someone in the community that just haven't yet made it into a PND.

Back