Pandora As An Educational Tool.

scottprovost

Still Fresh
Is this the cheapest solar power-able device with a keyboard that a person can type thousands of pages of essays on.

While I think the Pandora would make a great companion for students, it hasn't exactly a typing experience for writing thousands of sites with it. While people who are new to typing may be as fast as on a "proper" keyboard at first, there is now way that typing speed can hold up for long. As a solar charger and an external antenna are bulkier than the pandora anyways, an external keyboard for home use springs to mind.
I agree with Gruso that the best bet would be contacting Mister Craig Rothwell directly. Many answers you'll get here my not help at all.

best regards

Maybe you could take a look at this:

https://www.alwaysinnovating.com/home/

It's bigger than a pandora but it has a proper keyboard in order to navigate.

perhaps the olpc is the laptop you're looking for? :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One_Laptop_per_Child

NamX said:
Maybe you could take a look at this:

https://www.alwaysinnovating.com/home/

It's bigger than a pandora but it has a proper keyboard in order to navigate.

To bad that touch book is still seriously "beta" hardware, rather annoying issues with charging and so on.

the current pandora has no wifi antenna, so this needs and a pcb and a case change - both quite expensive...
And to use the Pandora to "type thousands of pages of essays" , hum....

Last edited by a moderator:
If the primary use of the device will be typing then you are much better of with a proper keyboard and a larger screen. The primary function of the Pandora is to be a portable gaming device. I don't know what's on the market but the Touch Book mentioned above looks nice as it has many things in common with the Pandora but with a full keyboard a much larger screen. Since it uses an ARM processor it is a power efficient device, it is also open source as the Pandora. It is however not pocketable nor does it have built in gaming controls, but at least you don't need the gaming controls.

I think the Pandora would be an excellent tool for learning, seeing as it's pretty rugged, an open system, and it'll have loads of great software made for it.
I also think that this would be a brilliant project for the OP team and us on GP32X to help with, perhaps we could assist making software and maybe even software creation tools for the students? I'd love to help with that.

Sugar_Kane said:
I smell scam
Yes this is surely a scam. I would lock this and throw it in a very dark dungeon.

Xenu said:
Yes this is surely a scam. I would lock this and throw it in a very dark dungeon.
If you know something, please expand. I didn't do research except taking a quick look at the pages linked above.

mali said:
Xenu said:
If you know something, please expand. I didn't do research except taking a quick look at the pages linked above.
First of all there doesn't seem to be any references of them at a quick google. No links to them. Nothing. Second if you try to google the so-called-professors with funny pictures and nice titles they doesn't seem to be any references to them either. And there's no information at all about the university. It's just nonsense information and every link goes to a page where you need to register an account (and probably pay some money or give away your credit card information).

Xenu said:
Sugar_Kane said:
I smell scam
I believe you. If anyone knows anything about scams, it'd be someone named Xenu.
(Scientology joke :) )

WizardStan said:
Xenu said:
Sugar_Kane said:
I smell scam
I believe you. If anyone knows anything about scams, it'd be someone named Xenu.
(Scientology joke :) )
Yes, and if you don't believe me you need to give me all your money, disconnect from your family, and work for rice and beans for a billion years. :lol:

Back