As an educational device?

EssoAir

Hello everyone,

I have an idea that I thought I would just throw out there. I go to a highschool where all the students are given an iPad. Unfortunately, its complete shit. Honestly I hate the thing. But it got me thinking, would the Pandora be a good educational device? It seems like it to me.

What's you're opinion?

Good for learning and cross compiling. And the use of a laptop and to modify programms. Sounds like a good idea. Especially with the long battery time.

Maybe talk to craigix, ed and link in private about this.

Sounds like a great way to sell pandoras - even if only one school is interested :)

Fantastic idea now if my school were not dirt poor I'd talk to my principal about this .

Good luck trying to get schools to spend anything on students!! It all goes to pay exhorbitant salaries to too many "administrators" and they keep raising our taxes anyway!

I don't mind taxes, but I'd sure like to see the money going to the kids and not to a bunch of entrenched cronies.

At least, that is how it works in America.

Last edited by a moderator:
My school buys too many windows machines with no sd card ports . And they block everything BUT naughty pics on google images .

Forget the idea - no school will buy equipment from a no-name supplier, especially something running Linux with no manual and no dedicated 24/7 support. If you want professionals to buy your device you need to have a professional service behind it.

Net, it's not very credible.

Since most schools already have tend to focus on a specific os and its ecosystem. For example my old high school was using windows for everything. Most school don't have a budget big enough to get new equipment. Plus a pandora is possibly too small to be able to let students use them, they be too easier to steal.Apple can discount products for students because they have huge profits already Apple can take the financial hit, I don't believe either Pandora company(since EvilDragons and Craigx's are separate companies) can discount the products to even come close to Apple's discount. Exactly how fragile is the pandora? Can it take the abuse of a bunch of high schools students ? Who most likely stab the touch screen with pens and what not.

It's a nice idea, but speaking as someone who has been involved in the English education system for over 12 years the device is probably too expensive. Plus you have the issue that it's being marketed largely as a game device which would put teachers off.

I see the benefits in trying to get students into programming, but to be honest they'd be better off investing in the Raspberry Pi.

University computer/bookstores might be interested in selling the pandora at retail. Tell them CDEVtools and a mostly full linux stack can be shipped with it.

The Pandora is a great educational device with a multitude of Operating Systems, compilers, GCompris, modRana, Night vision 3.0, office programs, etc. I would definitely recommend the Pandora for school usage!

Back