Pandora As Boot Device For Host Computer

bigtruck

Will it be possible to have an iso or some kind of x86 linux system in a partition on the Pandora (on the SD card, I would assume) and, when the Pandora is connected via USB to a host computer, to boot the computer from that iso or partition like a live CD?

Or, what would be *really* awesome but I doubt will be possible, I remember reading about something called a BlackDog a while back (their site appears to be down right now, I don't know if they're still around. Here's the Wikipedia page.) that would plug into a computer via USB and essentially take over the computer's keyboard, mouse, and monitor. Could something similar work using the Pandora?

I know that neither of these are likely to be official features, I'm just curious as to whether the Pandora's hardware/configuration/anything that could affect this make either of these scenarios theoretically possible.

Well, given that your computer supports boot from usb, the first idea should be totally feasible...

As for the second one, well, I'm at a loss there, but would need a lot of work imo, but once again, what do I know... BlackDog is linux based, so most, if not everything, should be available to learn from atleast.

BigTruck said:
Will it be possible to have an iso or some kind of x86 linux system in a partition on the Pandora (on the SD card, I would assume) and, when the Pandora is connected via USB to a host computer, to boot the computer from that iso or partition like a live CD?
The pandora would have to act as a usb mass storage devices for one of the sd cards, which might not be possible or require bios modifications.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it will be possible but if is envisaged in bios but i don't see the need : key usb are cheap now and more useful for that.

But often the question is interesting , it will be very useful than Pandora work as USB mass storage when connecting to another computer :) for computer which don't have SD readers for example and don't have wifi ... like phone for example , or media center or linker NDS as Acekard RPG :)

Arialia said:
But often the question is interesting , it will be very useful than Pandora work as USB mass storage when connecting to another computer :) for computer which don't have SD readers for example and don't have wifi ... like phone for example , or media center or linker NDS as Acekard RPG :)
Unfortunately most phones don't support the correct type of USB to read usb mass storage devices. I found this much to my disapointement when researching an idea I once had.

Pleng said:
Arialia said:
Unfortunately most phones don't support the correct type of USB to read usb mass storage devices. I found this much to my disapointement when researching an idea I once had.

Yes but i thinking for example as my phone ( sony ericsson ) who works as USB Mass storage when it is connected to my PC via USB :) , in fact it demand if i want is working as Usb mass storage or as Phone ;)

and my Acekard RPG works as USB mass storage ( access only for his NAND FLASH ) when connected with my computer, very useful to transfer data to it : i dislike manipulate µSD , it is so little :p

argh my usb SD reader is broke this morning :huh:

i must 'stole' my son's SD reader to write homebrew wii on SD :rolleyes:

sindbad said:
BigTruck said:
The pandora would have to act as a usb mass storage devices for one of the sd cards, which might not be possible or require bios modifications.
Wouldn't it be plausible to emulate a mass storage device that grabs the USB?

Holokauston said:
Wouldn't it be plausible to emulate a mass storage device that grabs the USB?
Hmm, I certainly hope so. And I hope its abstracted enough so that the host computer doesn't directly access the SD card. The purpose being that I can have the SD card formatted in ext3 or some other non-windows filesystem, and still access it on the rare occasion I would have the Pandora plugged into a running windows machine. I am planning on having an ftp server installed on the Pandora though, so I suppose I could always use that if I had to.
Edit: Oh, speaking of which, I heard talk of this but I don't remember seeing any definitive answer. Are the Debian armel packages going to work more or less 'out of the box'™, are they going to require some sort of modifications, or are they not going to work at all? There's quite a few packages there that I'd want on my Pandora.

On a not-very-related note, I bought my 4GB SD card back in 2006 when I got my GP2X. I just checked prices for them on newegg, and I can get a 16GB SD card for the same price I bought my 4GB (~$60). Quadruple the storage in 2 years. That's pretty damned awesome.

Back