Pandora Pandora At Gbax 2008 ?

Magic Sam

Forever Homebrew
Hi,

Do you think that we could see some entries for the Pandora at the GBAX 2008 ?

Are you already planning to submit something to this coding competition ?

Finally, would you like to see the JXD, the "new" Gizmondo, or any other handheld, as available platforms for this contest ?

Bye, Magic Sam

well, I don't know about the other two, but the jxd has been out of production for a while now... And I don't see why craig should support the gizmondo :p :)

But as the Pandora is scheduled for spring 2008, and GBAX usually takes place in summer, do you think there would be enough time for people to buy the Pandora, learn how it works, and then submit games for it ?

Do you think it would be a great idea and would help to promote the console after its launch ?

And the last GBAX contest saw entries for DS and PSP, and as far as I know Craig is not supporting this handhelds either...

I think it will be too soon to tell at the moment, It will probably depend on the initial reaction, How it`s received by the buying public (not just us here) and how well it sell`s after it`s launch.

Trooper

Magic Sam said:
But as the Pandora is scheduled for spring 2008, and GBAX usually takes place in summer, do you think there would be enough time for people to buy the Pandora, learn how it works, and then submit games for it ?

Do you think it would be a great idea and would help to promote the console after its launch ?
i'm sure craigix will not be in a position to help sort out a gbax08 comp while there is still lots of pandora stuff to be sorted, i.e. there will not be a gbax until a reasonable time after the pandora release.

I think gbax08 is not high on the list of priorities right now!

And the last GBAX contest saw entries for DS and PSP, and as far as I know Craig is not supporting this handhelds either...

well, gizmondo could be seen as competition for the gp2x pandora, whereas ds and psp are not.

Last edited by a moderator:
[drunk]

mrsnature said:
i'm sure craigix will not be in a position to help sort out a gbax08 comp while there is still lots of pandora stuff to be sorted, i.e. there will not be a gbax until a reasonable time after the pandora release.
GBAX exists for 5 years now, with or without the Pandora, so do you think Craig would delay this contest only because of the Pandora ?

I think gbax08 is not high on the list of priorities right now!

I'm not demanding anything you know...I was just speculating about entries at the future GBAX comp :)

well, gizmondo could be seen as competition for the gp2x pandora, whereas ds and psp are not.

You're right :)

Cheers ! p.s: I like Mononoke no hime ;)

[/drunk]

Last edited by a moderator:
I mentioned this in a similar post about the compo a month or two ago. I co-run the competition with Craig so here is my response

There are currently no immediate plans for a GBAX 2008, traditionally its held around this time but last year we left it until later (finished July I think) as neither Craig or myself didn't have much time. Pandora was part of the reason why Craig was busy back then ;)

I honestly have no idea if/when there will be a GBAX 2008. If it was to happen I would guess it would be much later in the year to allow things to settle down with the Pandora launch (both the scene and for Craig), give time for developers to get used to coding on the Pandora and also time to write their software. I haven't actually spoke to Craig privately in over a month (turn your ICQ on Craig!) but I know he is very very busy so it is probably the last thing on his mind.

Also the problem is fitting it around other coding competitions, there are always others going on and we try to fit them around others such as the PDRoms and Neoflash ones who I have ties with. So working out a date at the moment is very hard :)

As for what platforms are supported, its basically down to what Craig and myself have. I think I mentioned in my other post that iPhone was not possible as I personally have no intention of buying one, the Gizmondo doesn't stand a chance as its a shit system and will likely flop in a month or two like last time (so we wont be buying one). The JXD or variant is a possibility depending on if there is enough interest and homebrew is running well. The list of support platforms will probably be GP32, GP2X, DS/GBA, PSP and Pandora.

Hope that clears things up.

Back